Gen 1 to 2 PCM swap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Guessing this has probably been asked before, but trying to sift through all the threads was getting difficult. Short question is whether or not it's possible to convert a gen 1 car over to a gen 2 computer (mainly for tuning purposes). I'm aware of options like the VEC, but these seem to be hard to get a hold of lately. Was pretty sure the engines were fairly similar (maybe some sensor changes here and there), but I'm guessing there's probably also something that would be annoying like having to change a tone ring or something on the crank. If this is the case, I'm guessing it's not something an SCT could handle? Did the gauges change significantly on a gen 2 as well? I assume the PCM probably also runs them.

If a VEC is the only option, does anyone happen to make a pre-made pigtail harness that plugs between the stock computer and the VEC so you don't have to cut up the stock harness?

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The G1's and G2's have totally different cam and crank signals, so your only option is VEC, Split second, or a stand alone. (Megasquirt is pretty inexpensive as far as stand alones)

I have a VEC 3 in my 95 that I'm replacing with a Megasquirt 3 if you're interested. It is NOT a plug and play harness though.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We can do it... but its cost prohibitive. If combined with a Gasket Update it makes more sense, but its a lot of work on its own.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Figured there was probably some reason that would make it less than easy. I've actually done a Megasquirt 2 myself on a 5.7 Hemi, so that wouldn't be too unfamiliar, though I've never really looked into piggybacking it. I know it can be done, just haven't really read up on it. Has anyone ever found the connectors for the factory PCM to make an "interceptor" harness for a VEC? To my understand you more or less just reroute the sensors and outputs through the VEC before and after the computer or something like that. Seems like you could make a harness that would just plug in between the two if you could get the connectors so you're not butchering a nice stock piece.

Might be interested in the VEC though. It's actually my mom's car and my dad keep talking about doing something with it, but I'm never really sure how serious he is. He's recently mentioned turbos, but I have a hard time believing we'd ever really commit to something that drastic. Tried to keep my eyes peeled for a Roe SC, but they don't come up very often.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gen-1 based harness parts are going to be long since obsoleted. Far more effort than its worth to do it that way. A VEC will work, but would be far off the gains that could be attained by jumping to an SCT Gen-2 platform. Its up to him ultimately, but if he hasnt done a full gasket update, that should be on his short list of things to do. THAT would be the time to do something like this, when the cam sprocket could be swapped easily, and sensors and wiring is all right in front of you by default. Of course its all easier said than done... at the end of the day cost will be barking up the standalone tree.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, it's sort of an interesting car. It's actually in really nice shape and pretty original, so I think we're hesitant to make any sort of more permanent modifications to it, but I think they're also a little jealous after dyno day with the club (though pretty much everyone else there had a gen 4). Put down some strong numbers for a mostly untouched gen 1 (just a hair shy of 400 at the wheels), but when most of the other cars put down over 500 there's probably a little bit of red mist going on. I was surprised my gen 3 put down 480/530 with just a K&N, catback, and tune, but then again I didn't really know what to expect. Not bad for 60k on the clock, lol.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There used to be an adapter harness available for the Gen1 -2 swaps but i would guess they would be long gone......

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Thought I read that somewhere else as well. Didn't know if it was just a myth or reality, though I'm guessing it's probably like finding a unicorn. Sounds like I'd still have to swap some tone rings to make it work though.

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1996 RT/10 was a GEN1 with a JTEC. If you could find a harness and supporting parts, that would likely be your easiest bet to convert to a JTEC engine controller.

I would suggest that you consider getting your GEN1 ecu remapped for whatever build you have in mind. The GEN1 ecu is completely tunable, and calibration changes can be made to correct the stalling issues that are common with cammed GEN1s . These changes are not fueling based, but made to the idle air control routines.

-vprtech

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62