Gen 3, 4 oil pick up pics

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been asked about these several times already this year in Europe, was taking these pics for an owner and so thought be a good idea to post them up here as a reference point if anyone else is ever needing to know what they look like!
From left to right:
OE fixed oil pick up Gen3 engine
Comp Coupe (Gen 3) swinging oil pick up
OE full swing Gen 4 oil pick up (was fitted to Gen3)
Photos of all the differences fairly self explanatory.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've always wondered: how much of an issue is it in my stock 8.3 that is not tracked? It's my understanding that the Gen 3 starvation issues only occurs at sustained high Gs, mainly during track use. I would imagine that the Gen 3s I drove in 2007 at the SRT Experience at Pocono were modified with the upgraded part.

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock pick up is not a worry for street driving on a Gen 3. But I would never go on track with it, even on street tires (unless you just do parade laps!)

Last edited:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine,

Great photo display of the availaible options. Obviously the Gen 4 has the best swing. Side note which I'm sure you already know but others may not, a new main cap bolt is required to retrofit the Gen 4 pan & pick up to a Gen 3 engine.

Thanks for the good info.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not certain why it's obvious that the Gen IV has the best swing. The comp coupe part looks higher quality too me, but I'm looking at a pic. Can you elaborate as to technically why the Gen IV pick up is better?

Reaction score
Nothing on the Gen4 that can come loose or crack from vibrational stress (sheet S.S. instead of casting), plus the swing is 2X as much.

I'm not certain why it's obvious that the Gen IV has the best swing. The comp coupe part looks higher quality too me, but I'm looking at a pic. Can you elaborate as to technically why the Gen IV pick up is better?

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pioneering envolved here is Chrysler who made it a straight forward upgrade for the Gen 4 Viper engine program. It's a newly designed pan with a evolved (better) competition coupe style pick up. By installing a single new main cap bolt to secure pick up body, Gen 4 pan, swing pick up assembly and a new gasket your ready to rock & roll on your Gen 3 pan upgrade. Cost is the only real factor $.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is no pioneering envolved here. Chrysler made it a straight forward upgrade for the Gen 4 Viper. It's a newly designed pan with a evolved (better) competition coupe pick up. Along with a single new main cap bolt, Gen 4 pan and swing pick up, your ready to rock & roll.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=

There was before Chrysler copied exactly what I had already been doing for years by converting the pickups, both the Comp Coupe to a full-swing design, and the G4 to a G3 design. I always thought it was funny how Chrysler seems to follow behind the aftermarket, yet always seems to take the recognition for bringing products to market like they did it first. Just goes to show the fastest way to get ahead is to copy someone elses ideas and pretend they were yours.

Last edited:

chesapeake07

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was before Chrysler copied exactly what I had already been doing for years by converting the pickups, both the Comp Coupe to a full-swing design, and the G4 to a G3 design. I always thought it was funny how Chrysler seems to follow behind the aftermarket, yet always seems to take the recognition for bringing products to market like they did it first. Just goes to show the fastest way to get ahead is to copy someone elses ideas and pretend they were yours.

What is the total cost of this upgrade on a Gen III?

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI - I re-updated my post during your response & my post is not directed at you or your products. I have no idea what your products are or your dealings with Chrysler and to be perfectly clear are none of my business as well! Here's what I do know, the competition coupe swing style pan was a decent low cost solution to the Viper oils starvation issues, instead of the expensive but very efficient Dailey Engineering billet dry sumps, so it was logical for Chrysler to upgrade the Gen 4 engine with a swing style pan to save engines, especially now since Gen 4 became infamous as the modern day track machine. It was a win win for Viper and it's buyers.

That being said I agree with you, sometimes the aftermarket does breed some bad ass products..:D

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

There was before Chrysler copied exactly what I had already been doing for years by converting the pickups, both the Comp Coupe to a full-swing design, and the G4 to a G3 design. I always thought it was funny how Chrysler seems to follow behind the aftermarket, yet always seems to take the recognition for bringing products to market.

Last edited: