Gen 4 intake from K&N, 18HP....

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I too removed the rain deflector from the top of the hood, installed the RX8 type K & N air filter and find that this set up seems to work well using my SOTP dyno, but did not do separate runs on the dyno to prove this.

This new K & N system doesn't appear to seal to the hood and I'd guess that intake air temps would go up a bit and might reduce power with the hood closed, standing still on the dyno.

Not sure how well it would work while running down the road. Will be interesting to see.

It does look cool.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called K&N and asked what the torque figures were and their answer was "We did not dyno the torque figures"....:dunno:

Definitely a lame answer since they're measuring both by default. Maybe they just didn't check the box on the graph setup to display the torque curve. If anyone's interested, you can figure the torque at any engine RPM by using this formula:

Torque = HP*5252/RPM

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too removed the rain deflector from the top of the hood, installed the RX8 type K & N air filter and find that this set up seems to work well using my SOTP dyno, but did not do separate runs on the dyno to prove this.

Back in May, I dynoed my Stock 08 back to back :
OEM paper filter : 545.0 HP / 505.8 TQ
K&N RX8 filter : 543.9 HP / 496.3 TQ

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys. K&N used my 4th gen last week to test fitment of their intake system for 4th gen cars. Thank goodness it worked and I was able to keep the intake for letting them used my car:headbang:. I definately noticed a difference in performance and sound:2tu:. I'll be getting my car dynoed this weekend and will post results soon after. I had their drop in air filter prior to the full intake system and had Todd at A&C Performance dyno the car. I think the gains were around 8-9 hp.

Bat

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The box stock is sealed around the hood opening. The Comp Coupes were designed to use the fascia openings for air not the street car. I have had my rain deflector out since day one and never have had a CEL.

It seems as though the foam sealing is connected to the deflector. The GenIII had three screws that held the deflector in. The GenIV doesn't. How do you remove the deflector w/o disturbing the foam?

Reaction score
It seems as though the foam sealing is connected to the deflector. The GenIII had three screws that held the deflector in. The Gen IV doesn't. How do you remove the deflector w/o disturbing the foam?

Remove and reinstall, or use a wider heavier foam, that's what I did.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. K&N used my 4th gen last week to test fitment of their intake system for 4th gen cars. Thank goodness it worked and I was able to keep the intake for letting them used my car:headbang:. I definately noticed a difference in performance and sound:2tu:. I'll be getting my car dynoed this weekend and will post results soon after. I had their drop in air filter prior to the full intake system and had Todd at A&C Performance dyno the car. I think the gains were around 8-9 hp.

Bat

This is great news Bat
Can you Dyno the new KN system vs the OEM paper filter, so we have the real/honest numbers from a trusted member to compare.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At VOI X the SRT engineers said that the new Vipers use a cotton filter element (similar to K&N) so that the filters are fine with the rain.

The older CARDBOARD/paper filters get even slightly wet and they become garbage. If using paper filters rain guard is important, not cotton.

Ted

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The system does look really nice, but the performance gains are not proven. We have done some initial tests, but prefer to relate our results once we have done more AB testing with varied airflow and data-logging of the intake air temps.

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
atleast you would see some gains or a minimum of 10 rwhp otherwise I wouldnt even bother buying it ,right..:)

which dyno was it on if you dont mind me asking?

Lemme ask Todd at A&C, or maybe one of you socal guys knows what dyno Todd uses. Pretty impressive gains for a drop in air filter replacement. I;m getting the car dynoed tomorrow with the K&N intake installed :).

Bat

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K & N makes nice products--I have owned several. That said, it is highly unlikely that you would get 30rwtrq from an air intake.

I will wait for the DC report.

Reaction score
Right on and thanks for posting this info. I did the same thing. Of course DC is not about to use K&N products when they make money on their own parts.

Actually I believe that Dan and the guys at DC Performance would do EXACTLY the opposite. They, like us do not sell worthless parts or services, and would rather send a customer hell bent on buying said parts to a vendor willing to sell anything. Kinda harsh, but if it doesn't make sense then we won't endorse it for any amount of cash...

That's probably why DC and Woodhouse are NOT in the internet sales business as we would both be disgusted with ourselves in a short time.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I believe that Dan and the guys at DC Performance would do EXACTLY the opposite. They, like us do not sell worthless parts or services, and would rather send a customer hell bent on buying said parts to a vendor willing to sell anything. Kinda harsh, but if it doesn't make sense then we won't endorse it for any amount of cash...

That's probably why DC and Woodhouse are NOT in the internet sales business as we would both be disgusted with ourselves in a short time.

I thought he might have meant the "old, old Chrysler" that we used to refer to as DC. I might be wrong, but that's how I took it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC