Gen 4s.

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just perusing E-Bay and seeing a handful of 08s in the low 60s and high 50s.Are prices coming back down that quick?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just perusing E-Bay and seeing a handful of 08s in the low 60s and high 50s.Are prices coming back down that quick?

I would say Gen4's are coming down. Even with the low prices very few cars seem to be changing hands. The last few years it seems that after labor day the number of listings creeps up.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the ones you are talking about are venom red cars! ***** but that color seems to have the worst residual value!!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the gen 4 will go up when the new car comes out--- about a 2 year deal, then slide back again

OP
OP
P

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
True on the color....I like it though.Saw a solid blue at 68k with 5k miles at Starwood in Dallas.Anybody know these guys?Ive never heard of them.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the ones you are talking about are venom red cars! ***** but that color seems to have the worst residual value!!

You'll always find them selling at the lowest prices, don't assume that is the norm.
Despite what some people want to believe.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is funny to see people defending the value of the Viper. It is a car, and it will depreciate. With the new Gen V coming, it is only normal for people to start trying to sell, and that will push prices down naturally. The worth of the Gen IV is as high now as it ever will be, excluding the ACR a very very long time from now. Take a look at Gen III coupe pricing, and then put the Gen IV just north of that, and that is where it will eventually land. If you are one of those defending the value in hopes of falsely keeping the market high, well, good luck to you. I always laugh at the Z06 guy at events who tells of how much his car stickered for, and you could be just as funny. Hopefully everyone can just enjoy their cars, and hold on to them should their market price not equal the grin factor when they hit the little red rumble button.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gen2 guys think gen2's are going up, gen3 say the same and now the gen4 guys...its all the same, relax. its life and cars will always DEpreciate.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure that everyone has heard the adage about folks with money who consider paying a high price for a car almost like a badge of honor. There are very few cars that don't take a big drop in value in the first few years so it shouldn't be a big deal or a surprise. I'm an owner and at the moment a potential buyer in the used market so the lower the better from my perspective right now. Point of view is everything.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean to say a new car will depreciate faster than a 10 year old car? Holy late breaking news, Batman.
What's annoying is the glee some people get out of pointing out some low ball price price found online as if it was the norm.
Almost always a Viper owner talking about a car they only wish they could buy.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just all depends..

someone posted a link to actual sales for the 03's on another thread..actual selling prices were 36-48k depending on milage ect. average was 38k..kinda blew my mind that people were paying 45k plus for a few of the 03's cause the miles were under 15k but hey it is what it is

so yea you can find some cheap 08's in the 50's but im sure if you looked at the average its selling at 60-70k. when i looked a few months back low 60's was the cheapest i could find on the 08's...

bottom line is vipers are 85-100k cars. they arent 250k gallardos for f430's so the prices are gonna get in the high 50s and low 60s on the good deals for 08's ocassionally. specially the venom reds. just an not so great color for the srts. it dosent pop out like a yellow/orange or green and at the same time dosent give the mean look like the black or sophisticated look like the silver or historically kool sports car red. or the traditional viper blue. its juyst an off viper color that belongs on a 50th anniversary corvette imho.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was another thread about the 70g ACR that just sold but it dissappeared. Did it take a wrong turn and Get deleted? Its the time of year. Values go down in the fall. Another winter of storage, insurance for 6 months, depreciation etc etc not to mention the doom and gloom in the economy and prices are bound to drop. There are some great deals out there for those that are looking to buy.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are a great value all the way around. When you buy brand new you pay a premium to get the best part of the ownership experience. New car values always fall off the cliff in the first few years and that's a good thing for people that will settle for something less than new. Down the road the Gen4 ACR's will probably be the new Hemi Superbirds or Hemi Daytona Chargers or even AC Cobras in of the collector market given the low production and world beating credentials and over the top looks. There was a time when you could buy original ac cobras cheap. The non-acr gen4's will also age into nice collectibles along the lines of the Hemi and 440 6bbl Cuda's. There was a time when all of those great muscle cars were a bargain too. Any way you slice it Vipers are immensely enjoyable to own, drive and collect. For every owner there are thousands of people that would love to be an owner. The Vipers on auction at Barret Jackson this weekend seem to be selling up from where they were in past auctions.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never bought a Viper as an investment. Its going to depreciate for some time until it achieves collectable status like the old Hemis. Just the way it is. Agree with v10enoumous that the best part of the ownership experience is picking up that new car from the dealer. However, this doesn't last long, within a couple of months you have a used car. If everyone that posted how low a price they've seen on some Viper had bid on that car, prices would probably be creeping up instead of down. Of course selfishly the $73K I paid for my 08 Vert brand new from the dealer in March of 09 seems like a smoking hot deal now. :D

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New 09 ACR on Fleabay for $84K, 09 ACR just sold for $ 70K (could of sold that many times over at that price)
Used 09 ACR on flea bay for $ 79K obo, so that is about were the market is at for ACR right now -
Great 08 coupe was just up at a dealer here for $65K asking with 8K of wheels and low miles ----

These cars were all likely bought at below msrp or quite a bit below- so actual depreciation is really not
That bad considering it is a new car.....all cars (except super exotics or new model Ferraris and such)
dump 15-20 % in value when you buy them, right off the lot.....
So a 08 coupe selling for $ 65K now, and they paid 85-90K new is not really getting hammered in my
Book.
Lot

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The high miles can be misleading also. My 08 with 18K miles has been in the south since new, meaning 365 days of driving weather. Cars up north go into the garage/storage for up to six months of the year.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen some of these low priced vipers on a lift. The owners always act so surprised when you tell them it has been hit or damaged. You get what you pay for.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The high miles can be misleading also. My 08 with 18K miles has been in the south since new, meaning 365 days of driving weather. Cars up north go into the garage/storage for up to six months of the year.

Vic makes a good point. It's been said before... buying a Viper is best looked at as a case-by-case situation. Tons of variables.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As CA97GTS states many of the Gen 4s were purchased well below MSRP. When I bought my 08 new the dealer took $21K off the list, paid $73K for the car. My 09 ACR came in at something like $15K below list, which I then added back in with custom paint, rollbar, ported heads, ported intake, etc.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy to go through the web and pick out the cheapest selling prices for certain cars. Saying that these lowest price sellers represents the marketplace is misguided.

Always going to be a storied car, one with suspicious carfax, poor maintenance, undesirable options, or from a less reputable seller. Sometimes a car is underpriced for a quick sale, or from a distressed seller who needs to dump it fast, but this skewes the total marketplace.

These are tough times in the auto business. Gonna find some bargains out there.

CFRA7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the problem with talking price on forums. Some get offended because they take it personally. Cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Asking price means nothing. The great thing about eBay is when a deal is made you can see what it sold for. The market for a 2008 ACR is around $75k depending on the car. The bottom is about $70 and the top about $80. It doesn't matter if you have an ACR and won't sell for less than $90 becuase your price only has meaning once someone agrees to pay it. Why would someone make a statement that cars selling for $70k have a story? That's an insult to the guy that sold it, the guy that bought it as well as several other who would have paid that price.

M_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just like most said, it all depends on the car itself and how it's been used

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a Gen4 but a mint 1 owner Black 2003 with under 5k miles just went for $24k on a popular e-auction site :omg:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a Gen4 but a mint 1 owner Black 2003 with under 5k miles just went for $24k on a popular e-auction site :omg:

Why do you get such a thrill out of posting low ball prices you have scoured the net looking for?
You do it constantly.
The thread is about Gen 4's but you feel the need to post something irrelevant.
I've never seen a Viper owner who tries to denigrate Viper values as much as you do.