Gen 5 spotted!

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the issue is the fact just about ever gen has had it's chin and belly as close to the ground as possible giving it the 'GTFOutta-my-way' stance. Then you knew it was fast, you didn't have to guess yourself. Kinda like the gen III, we knew it looked good bit just lacked a wee aggressiveness. Gen IV ACR's, forget it you know it eats everything. I think there's a very fine line between being cartoony and down right sinister. I feel the same way when the Murcielago was replaced by the Aventador. I love the Murci, hate the fact the Aventador has flared doors when they open instead straight doors that open 75 degrees.

My biggest issue with the Gen V is the carbon rear and the plain black crosshairs. Those really need to be painted.

--RS

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I couldn't snap a pic but just saw that blue Gen V going south on Greenfield and 10 mile when I was heading north. I saw the lights in the front and the NACA duct and had a feeling it was something exotic but didn't know what. As it came closer, I knew it was the Gen V. I know people are going to give me crap for this but I think it looks better in pictures. It's a great looking car no doubt and it's performance and interior make it a true success. I just don't think it has the wow factor of the Gen II GTS cars. For the record, if money were not an issue, I would trade my Gen II ACR for the Gen V for it's performance and interior....and warranty. But the Gen II really still is the benchmark in automotive aesthetics for me personally.

I also agree that certain angles of the Gen III/IV look a bit more aggressive. This car has a more European feel to it and that isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's caught between generations. It looks more like a GTS but doesn't have that really outrageous set of curves. Either way, owners will love the vehicle because it looks great! I was very excited when I saw it. Back in 2005 (I think) right before the Gen III Coupe hit the production line, I got to drive a blue/white as I was driving down Telegraph and the Chrysler executive asked if I wanted to drive it. I posted on these forums about it when it happened and debated trying to get the same opportunity but didn't.

Again, great car, but I think I liked it better in pictures and realize I am probably in the minority on this. It just doesn't quite look that menacing on the road. The GTS was outrageous and it's proportions will always be classic. I think the older they get, the BETTER they look. The Gen III was angular which created aggressive looks but only from certain vantage points. This car looks good all around but it doesn't stand out as a "WOW" quite like the Gen II. I think it looks better than the Gen III but not quite as good as the Gen IV/ACR. My .09 pennies. Peace.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still not sure what that piece of tongue hanging on the back of the window from the dubble bubble top is for. Maybe hanging its tongue out at the rest of the cars...I donno. They must have had some extra money left over and thought....hey....I know !! Put the money there. Carbon fibre the rear tailight area. Great idea !! Put the money there. LED lights !! Put the money there !! Don't put the money in some extra HP or anything...Nah !! nobody would want that, but , those pieces...Oh Ya !! for sure !! 18 speaker sysytem !! Oh ya, put the money there. Chnage to the Perelli tires, oh ya...now we only have to pay 4000+ for new tires in that size when needed...etc...etc

Gen 4 ACR in every angle would look better than the Gen 5. Lowering the car does not do anything either. At 137,000 estimated for the options they are flaundering us with on the GTS....hmm..That makes it more of a DOH !! I think I'll get one !

Can't please everyone I guess...or was that thier LOGO...hmmm...anyway.....just IMO

I was told by a reliable source that Michelin declined to quote on the tires for the Gen V. Remember they are different sizes than the Gen IV so Michelin would have had to design a new tire. This is why the Gen V will have Pirellis. Pictures of some of the prototypes are not at the correct height. An SRT engineer confirmed this, they will be lower but probably not as low as many of the posters here want.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George;

I believe SRT Engineers are targeting 1" drop in the rear and about 3/4" drop in the front for production cars as opposed to these mules everyone is seeing. I think that is about all they can realistically do as I can tell you, having personally seen a couple of mules up close and walked around them, they are still pretty damn low despite some of the wheel gap pictures. Despite my past comments on the new GEN V, seeing it in real life and in GTS Blue, it totally changed my opinion in a good way on the car. They should have revieled it in GTS Blue as with Dual White Stripes, the Track Pack wheels and the Saddle Tan interior option; I believe would have blown everyone away, even initial naysayers like me.

Pictures do not do the car justice as it is WAY LESS clown shoe looking in real life, almost no clown shoe which that GEN I/GEN II flapper look upfront was what turned me off the new car in intial pictures. The car is very deceiving as from the front, the front looks wider than the back, from the back, it is clear the back is wider than the front, the rear diffuser was a non-issue when I saw it in real life as it looked so much better in real life. The back tailight panel and scoop aft the side windows in just black (no CF) looks way better than CF, though I would still paint the rear tailight panel body color, though that is just me (hope they option that way). The unviel rims look much better in real life though the track pack rims on the car will look amazing. That about does it. It turned me into a believer and it was a mule for crying out loud.

The body panel tightness was still pretty good all things considered. Hell it was better than my GEN III. I would love to post a picture or two of the 247 I took (Ha! Ha!) but the SRT Engineers made us promise not to post internet pictures in leau of getting up close and personal with the car wiht the covers off. I know SRT is sensitive that the mules have a higher suspension for their testing and some body panel gaps are a little off or larger as the mules have non-production pieces on them, but honestly they are no where as bad as some of the comments here.

I am dying to post one picture in particular as I know it would ramp up orders and knock all naysayers on their butt, includiong me eating crow. It is untouched and I have not seen the angle in a single magazine nor anyone take this picture. It is too bad I can't post it. Maybe I will in a few days anyway as I believe it could only help everyone out to understand the absolute beauty of this car and how most pictures, etc. just do not do it justice in any way. You have to see it in real life to believe it.

WOW! And good thing I just sold my GEN III Coupe last week. Loved it dearly for the 6 years I had it and still think it looks amazing too, but it went to a great home for very fair price. Each Gen has a unqiue beautiful quality to it.

The only thing that could derail a future GEN V for me is price. Ralph can rest assured the SRT Engineers were very tight liped, even though we kept sending shots down their way at the bar hoping their lips would losen up. They didn't! Damn!

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Heard they were doing high altitude testing last week in Colorado. Glad to see you're liking the Gen V after the real life encounter!

Bill

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
George;

I believe SRT Engineers are targeting 1" drop in the rear and about 3/4" drop in the front for production cars as opposed to these mules everyone is seeing. I think that is about all they can realistically do as I can tell you, having personally seen a couple of mules up close and walked around them, they are still pretty damn low despite some of the wheel gap pictures. Despite my past comments on the new GEN V, seeing it in real life and in GTS Blue, it totally changed my opinion in a good way on the car. They should have revieled it in GTS Blue as with Dual White Stripes, the Track Pack wheels and the Saddle Tan interior option; I believe would have blown everyone away, even initial naysayers like me.

Pictures do not do the car justice as it is WAY LESS clown shoe looking in real life, almost no clown shoe which that GEN I/GEN II flapper look upfront was what turned me off the new car in intial pictures. The car is very deceiving as from the front, the front looks wider than the back, from the back, it is clear the back is wider than the front, the rear diffuser was a non-issue when I saw it in real life as it looked so much better in real life. The back tailight panel and scoop aft the side windows in just black (no CF) looks way better than CF, though I would still paint the rear tailight panel body color, though that is just me (hope they option that way). The unviel rims look much better in real life though the track pack rims on the car will look amazing. That about does it. It turned me into a believer and it was a mule for crying out loud.

The body panel tightness was still pretty good all things considered. Hell it was better than my GEN III. I would love to post a picture or two of the 247 I took (Ha! Ha!) but the SRT Engineers made us promise not to post internet pictures in leau of getting up close and personal with the car wiht the covers off. I know SRT is sensitive that the mules have a higher suspension for their testing and some body panel gaps are a little off or larger as the mules have non-production pieces on them, but honestly they are no where as bad as some of the comments here.

I am dying to post one picture in particular as I know it would ramp up orders and knock all naysayers on their butt, includiong me eating crow. It is untouched and I have not seen the angle in a single magazine nor anyone take this picture. It is too bad I can't post it. Maybe I will in a few days anyway as I believe it could only help everyone out to understand the absolute beauty of this car and how most pictures, etc. just do not do it justice in any way. You have to see it in real life to believe it.

WOW! And good thing I just sold my GEN III Coupe last week. Loved it dearly for the 6 years I had it and still think it looks amazing too, but it went to a great home for very fair price. Each Gen has a unqiue beautiful quality to it.

The only thing that could derail a future GEN V for me is price. Ralph can rest assured the SRT Engineers were very tight liped, even though we kept sending shots down their way at the bar hoping their lips would losen up. They didn't! Damn!

I'm glad you liked the car Rick. It seems most folks who have seen it in person feel quite a bit differently than just seeing the pics online/magazines.

With all the other mule pics being posted on the VCA, AutoBlog and other sites, what's the harm??

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This "lowering thing" has to be a younger generation than mine. That is the last thing I would ever thing of.

I think the ACR following it looks much more exoctic. We'll see what they do with the new ACR.

Going down the road it looks much less appealing from the rear. The Gen 4 looks better at least from that angle... Sorry...

I agree 100%....The new gen does not need those little backup lights down low and wow is that new one ever missing the air diffusers and it looks just way to round....really missed the boat here. Not cool enough compared to the ACR. The ACR is evil....the gen V looks somewhat subdued.....

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay boys and girls, there are enough mules shots out there that I am going to post a few. Remember, the stock height will be lowered about 1" back and 3/4" front for production and these are non-stock body part pieces so the lines will be tightened up for production. Having said that, I think they look real good.

In GTS Blue (man what a blue taillight panel, dual white stripes and track pack rims with the factory ride height will do for this car. Amazing!!!!)

You must be registered for see images attach

Now seeing the actual height of the cars, they are a lot lower than they appear. Just have to ease up the wheel well height. Stock car will have this for production. You can really see the hood scoop height and overall curvy body lines in this picture. (Still love the blue better)

Red from above and back. You can not appreciate the unbelieveable curviness of this car at every panel and angle. Those that wanted the GEN I/II curves, you got it and then some.

Red from the front in the dark. Gotcha!!!!!!! Having seen the real car here, the front grill opening does not need the color in the opening. I think it might be too much. It is a sharp looking car.

That is enough for now! All inall really, really impressed and being a borderline naysayer, you have to see it in person to make a true judgement call. VOI12 is a strong, strong suggestion if you are on the fence, even after these shots.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you wouldn't mind, post more photos of the blue? I don't necessarily care to see the other colors, I just can't get enough of the blue!!!!!!!

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely getting a Gen 5, but after selling my Gen 4 last month it's clear to me that there is at least one car between me and my Five. For me, I'll definitely trade some curb appeal for getting interior quality and comfort.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay boys and girls, there are enough mules shots out there that I am going to post a few. Remember, the stock height will be lowered about 1" back and 3/4" front for production and these are non-stock body part pieces so the lines will be tightened up for production. Having said that, I think they look real good.

In GTS Blue (man what a blue taillight panel, dual white stripes and track pack rims with the factory ride height will do for this car. Amazing!!!!)

Now seeing the actual height of the cars, they are a lot lower than they appear. Just have to ease up the wheel well height. Stock car will have this for production. You can really see the hood scoop height and overall curvy body lines in this picture. (Still love the blue better)

Red from above and back. You can not appreciate the unbelieveable curviness of this car at every panel and angle. Those that wanted the GEN I/II curves, you got it and then some.

Red from the front in the dark. Gotcha!!!!!!! Having seen the real car here, the front grill opening does not need the color in the opening. I think it might be too much. It is a sharp looking car.

That is enough for now! All inall really, really impressed and being a borderline naysayer, you have to see it in person to make a true judgement call. VOI12 is a strong, strong suggestion if you are on the fence, even after these shots.

Thanks for posting the pics. I wish someone could take each angle here and compare to the other gens. That 3/4 view of the blue (gas cap showing) would look great compared to a 96 BW 3/4 shot. I don't know what to say other than it's a pretty sweet ride. The interior and performance are amazing. However, all the discussion right now is on "visual aesthetics" and while many like it, I actually find it to be less spectacular than I hoped for. Sure I am picky but aren't we all? I think the front end is a bit too busy. I much prefer the hood of the gen II. Now the 3/4 shot and the back shot of the vehicle looks great. It would have been nice to see the gas cap where it is placed on the Gen II. I just don't like how the clamshell hood creates a "V" shape instead of staying cured as it now looks both angular and curved. I do love the way the side exhaust came out. I think the overall car is great and will sell well.

I guess at the end of the day, evolution and changes take place. I think the Gen II GTS will hold it's place as the most "visually aesthetic" Viper made (at least until current day). While we can argue looks are "subjective," if a sample size of 10k people were taken, I would imagine the visual aesthetics would show the Gen II taking top spot. I think it will be up there with the best of the best "pound for pound" cars of all time. But this new viper is sharp, has performance, interior quality and WARRANTY that us Gen II fanatics don't have. The viper is already done so this is what you will get. When the Gen III debuted it came to a pretty horrible reception and yet it grew on many people. This gen V has come out to praise with very little criticism, so I think you lucky gen V owners will be thoroughly impressed. I did see the car and I will say it looks "good."

Cliffs notes: "Visual aesthetics" Gen II>Gen I>Gen V> Gen IV ACR>Gen IV> Gen III= End Thread.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Ralphgilles his tweets are a feast..... look at this Bumblebee Gen V. Think this is a winner combo.

Interesting! Seems as if they are taking measurements for stripes and they look good! The bumblebee on the cover of Forza Horizon's looks terrible.

--RS

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stripe on the right is better. No more skinny stripes! Even Ralph doesnt like the skinnier stripes from '08-'09. The stripes in '96-''06 were perfect. '10 stripes were too fat.

Ev0lv3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wonder what is in the back under the tarp? Maybe a targa top gen 5. :p (just speculating. Lol)

Matt162

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the look of the lower gev 5! Wheel gap is like a ******, the more fingers you can fit in, the worse it is!:2tu:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some pics from eGarage.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score