Gen 5 viper value retention after 2017 brand discontinuing

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the 2017 final editions sold out in days. The Viper 1.28 edition sold out in 40 min! Collectable? You decide!

Of course you know that dealers bought them all up, it does not mean they were sold to customers yet.

ROCKGT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. My dealer signed 3 separate orders when I was ordering mine.
2 GTS and 2 ACR.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course you know that dealers bought them all up, it does not mean they were sold to customers yet.
Cars that sit on a dealers lot are not sold! I don't know what you mean when you say dealers bought them all up. You can't buy a car direct from the factory and cut the middle man. If they were allocated to dealers then they are for sale, not sold.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cars that sit on a dealers lot are not sold! I don't know what you mean when you say dealers bought them all up. You can't buy a car direct from the factory and cut the middle man. If they were allocated to dealers then they are for sale, not sold.

So what part aren't you understanding. You said all are sold and I clarified all are sold to dealers, NOT necessarily sold to end buyers yet.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Predict that for a short while, Vipers will suffer at resale, simply because so many are on the market, and buyers can pick off the weakest sellers.

As the supply is reduced, the prices will then rise dramatically, as there will be fewer available.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres my take, not having ever owned anything more special than a 1990 Talon AWD or my Mazda 6 hatch...

First, let me say, i am not some school kid who hasnt worked his ass off because Daddy had too much money, ive worked hard all my life, since i was 12 and ill be 42 next month.

Ive been lusting/dreaming/drooling over the Viper since it came out, even over the lustful Stealth TT. Over the Countach, nearly more than a Gallardo... With the chance of buying one in the next year i have to say that NOTHING short of death will rip it from my grasp and i am seriously considering giving my 90 Talon up as i wont need 3 cars and a motorcycle. I will not buy this for resale, i will not buy it to let it sit during bad weather (im apprehensive at driving it in the snow though) and i do NOT consider it an investment.

You want an investment, buy stock or real estate, not cars. Not driving a loved car is abuse of the highest order and should retain the death penalty. Not loving a car you spend this much money on is neglect and you shouldnt be allowed to own such an animal because of that.

So, to answer the OP, i would rather you NOT own a Viper, than let one sit around hoping youll turn a quick buck on it down the road. Just my $0.02.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never understood why it concerns people what other people do with the cars they bought and paid for.