Gen I, II or III...decisions decisions.

Titan1969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm newbie to the board and have begun my quest for a Viper. If there is a thread to send me to answer my question just let me know.
I'm trying to decide which version I would enjoy long term. I have driven a Gen I and Gen II.
I have owned fast bikes (turbo busa) and cars (BDS blown 70 challenger) and many others.
I really like the old school of the Gen I and I don't care about comfort but do care about nostalgia and some hp fun. Will the Gen I owners chime in and tell me if they often wished they had more HP, or they are satisfied with what it has based on what it is...a Gen I.
If I got a Gen II I'd likely S/C it and have a blast but don't want something to refined...yeah I know it's not a Bentley, but the Gen I steering wheel makes it feel more connected to me as a driver, the rawness. No airbags, Abs, traction control, etc.
but if I'm bored of the Gen I and need more power, I'd SC it and that almost seems a shame with their dwindling numbers.
I'm in the SoCaL area so if anyone is selling I'm looking. Prefer unmolested, low or high mileage...doesn't matter. A chrome shifter knob with a skull on it,,would be a no sale. Lol

Thanks in advance.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers share the same Basic DNA, however they have gone through significant development over the past 20+ years.

Gen I's look fantastic. Have a plastic top that must be bolted on and off, and cannot be carried in the trunk. They also do not have nicities such as roll up windows. Easiest way to get additional performance is with NOS instead of forced induction.
Gen II also look fantastic, and have have roll up windows. Coupes available if you wish, but also roadsters (now with roll up windows). Can use NOS or Superchargers.
Gen III has much better refinement with better brakes, stronger air conditioning and true convertible. Easy to get additional power with Paxton supercharger(cheap) or turbo (expensive).
Gen IV has still better build quality and more refined engine with standard 600 hp. Better rear end, transmission etc.
Gen V is current King of the hill with 640 hp, better interior and electronics.

As with most low production cars, good advice is to get the best one you can afford.

First modification most of us SoCal guys add to the car is a Chromed Skull Shifter, so finding one without one will obviously be more difficult : >)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope that someone capable of setting up a supercharger on a car would be able to figure out how to swap out a steering wheel :)

I personally don't see any reason to shop for a Gen1 if you can afford a Gen2. Besides the 50hp diff, take a look at both of them on a lift and you can clearly see the updates to the chassis. If you like the side exhaust of the Gen1 then you can make that happen on a Gen2 just as you can change the steering wheel to whatever you want.

I suggest starting your search with test driving a GTS as well as an RT/10 to determine which body style you want. If your not a top-down kinda guy then stick with the GTS. The RT/10 is made to be driven as a ******* roadster. If you get one please don't be one of those guys that drives around with that silly looking "toupee" top on all the time.

Good luck in your search and let us know if you have any more specific questions.

OP
OP
T

Titan1969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the Gen II would be a good,compromise between old school with some amenities. Yes roll up windows would be nice. And the 50hp doesn't hurt.
Prices seem to really be dropping on the 96-99 so I'm ready to ****** one up in the next few weeks. I could afford a GenIII,IV but don't like the flat body styles, I like curves. :).

viper vince

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get a gen2 rt/10 look into the 3 pc top because you can store it in the trunk. My buddy had one and you have the best of both worlds. It almost looks like a gts coupe with this top.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 and 2 = Narrow foot well and pedals pushed awkwardly to the left. Gen 3 = much better pedal position, more HP, real top, real windows, etc, etc. IMO the only benefit to the Gen 1 and 2 is the visual styling. Even then it's a matter of taste. I actually prefer the styling of the Gen 3 and 4. But, no matter what you decide, any Generation Viper is something special.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They make other generations...? I always thought it was only Gen II's. ;-)

Gen II's were the pinnacle of Viper production and will always be my favorite. Preferably 01 or 02 with the abs brakes which I see as the high point in Viper history.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They make other generations...? I always thought it was only Gen II's. ;-)

Gen II's were the pinnacle of Viper production and will always be my favorite. Preferably 01 or 02 with the abs brakes which I see as the high point in Viper history.

Who knew?
I would have thought the Gen IV ACR which set the production car record at Nurburgring would have been the pinnacle to date.
But you're right it's probably a Gen 2....:rolleyes:

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like a lot of the people in previous posts, I fell in love with the Gen 2 and picked up a nice supercharged 96 GTS. Beautiful car and I'd never part with it. When you get one, be prepared to have people asking you questions and taking pictures at gas stations all the time....and you'll be at gas stations all the time.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to agree the gen 2 is the coolest Viper ever made, I have had lots of cars and will have lots more but I will never sell my gen 2.:usa:

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who knew?I would have thought the Gen IV ACR which set the production car record at Nurburgring would have been the pinnacle to date.But you're right it's probably a Gen 2....:rolleyes:
The new challenger is much faster than my 71 hemi. Maybe I should trade up?

They are all really cool. Pick the one you like and do not settle on color etc.

OP
OP
T

Titan1969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Money down on a Gen I, black with 40K miles on it. Seems a cream puff, needs some interior work, but exterior is great.

I luv the drop in windows and clip on top. Im in CA, so rain is seldom an issue.

Fuel sending unit failed, looks like the gas tank is to much of a PIA to bother trying to replace the sending unit =*****...but like many others, ill reset the tripometer and go for 200 miles between fill ups.

Doesnt sound like the head gaskets have been done but oil was clean. So ill change them asap while Im at it, might as well drop on new heads ( if they make upgrades? ), headers with Corsa exhaust and a tune. Maybe get it up to 450 HP

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The right heads, headers and a tune will get you well past 450 at the crank....... ;-)

Bad Brad

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not many Generation I owners replying. I have a 95 Gen I, I don't try to drive in the rain, pop in windows are just fine. Have the Hardtop,.

Generation I has plenty of HP 400, 465 LBs of torque gets you in trouble, Powerful its a race car hand built!! Always gets noticed I go to car
shows only Viper their. Always park near the Corvettes, I get more looks and questions!!! Few Vipers, lots of Vettes. What ever you decide
the Viper will always get more attention, and will KEEP a SMILE on your Face!!!!

Bad Brad FL

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My mom has a gen 1 and I have a gen 3 and they are certainly worlds apart, but also kindred spirits. What kind of driving you plan to do would really make the most difference. I still get a kick driving my mom's 94 just because of what it is. It's a totally different feeling and just neat to drive a piece of automotive history like that. Sure it's not as fast or comfortable, but there's just something neat about it. I opted for a gen 3 because I really wanted roll up windows and a dead pedal on the floor next to the clutch as opposed to the highly offset pedals of the earlier generations. I know it sounds like a silly reason, but I also daily drive mine and knew an earlier gen wouldn't be quite as comfortable for me. So far I've put almost 35k miles on mine in the 2 years I've owned it. Awesome car for the money and always puts a smile on my face. It's not as flashy as the earlier gens, but it's also silver so it blends in a little better and doesn't draw quite as much attention. For a weekend toy any year you pick would be a great choice. If you plan to put a lot of miles on one or road trip it I might look for something on the newer side of things. A gen 2 could be a good compromise between (relative) comfort and style.

Last edited:

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta get what you like. Gen2 made me fall in love with the Viper, but then the Gen3 came along and it was "Gen2 who?". They do have a cool factor to them which it sounds like you're attracted to. For me personally, there is no way I could live with a Gen2 and not have proper A/C for road trips in 90 degree weather. I appreciate the refinements since my time in the car is generally always 6-10 hours a day for road trips. If you're just doing basic Sunday cruises around town then the refinements might not be a big deal, and nostalgia factor could be more of a selling point.

DaJerseyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never even considered a gen 3 and newer viper. To me the viper IS the Gen 1 RT10 body style. It was the original, bold, in your face, cartoonish design that attracted me to it. I opted for a Gen II cause I wanted the roll up windows, that was the only reason I chose a Gen II over a Gen I. The 50 extra HP is a nice bonus feature but was not a deal breaker. The side pipes I like, but I also like the rear exit. Oh and the hood and front fascia looks a little nicer on the Gen 2's.

I know I will anger some people, but the Gen III's are to plain jane and remind me of a chick car..