Gen III & IV Values Once 2013 is out?

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys what date exactly will the 2013s be out?

What do you think that will do to the price of Gen III and IV cars?

I'm in the market to buy right now and just wondering if I should wait until the new Viper comes out so my car doesn't lose a lot of value right away.

Thanks!

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed but I'll add to what you said.

Be smart, buy, drive and have fun!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This REALLY depends. If the price of the 5's is sky high, it might PULL the G1-G4 up!

Otherwise, I would expect the usual; G4's will drop a bit reducing the jump from G3 to G4, then stabilize with the rest of them. A lot depends on how the G5 looks, performs, and if it can be modified, and whether it is still a "Viper" by our standards

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some say viper values will go up due to pricing of the gen 5, others say the new car will be that much better so the values of vipers will go down. It can go either way, who cares buy what you want, a Viper is not an investment.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Viper will most likely not be out till the end of 2012 or early 2013.

Annual production will not be huge, so expect a bit of a wait, as pent up demand for a new Viper most likely will have them in short supply.

Used Vipers are currently a pretty good value, but not as good as a year ago when the economy tanked. (that was the time to buy).

As the economy improves, prices should firm up even a bit more. Low mileage Vipers in popular colors have become more expensive lately, as some wish to get their dream car before the less raw new viper is announced.

In April, VCA members will get a second look at the car. Some will choose to wait, and others will decide it is not for them and decide to get one of the current models.

In late September, some pre production models (maybe production) will be available for closer inspection at the VOI in NC. Again some will place orders for the new Viper, while others will begin snapping up the few remaining previous Generations left on the market.

Think you can feel pretty good about buying a used Viper right now, as there are still some good deals out there.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paul!

Can I post a want to buy ad on the forum without being a member?

Feel more comfortable buying on the forum than elsewhere.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the previous Gen's will do down very slightly, the ACR's less so.

highsierrahillbilly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We can't wait to see the new gen 5 Viper and it may be next on our shopping list if it's as good as we're anticipating. Our GTS is in mint condition and love the hell out of it. The Viper just keeps getting better and I appreciate it's heritage. When my family and I see a gen 4 ACR cruisin on the highway there's no better looking car or at least very few rival it and when we see a gen 2 ACR on the highway we feel the same way. There's not alot of Viper out there so we'll keep the faith that prices will hold.. At least for the well kept and maintained Viper's.

Just my 2 cents.
High Sierra Hill Billy

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thankfully the market these cars are in, always draws a large number of "I need to have the new one" type of folks....

That being said, they will ditch their Gen3-Gen4's for the Gen5 regardless of performance (and we will be told that due to traction control it is "safer"). This will drive down the price of all Gen's a touch no matter what.

Chances are they will stabilize quickly....but like others have said too, there is no telling really until it happens.

I would expect the Gen 4 ACR's to not be hit as much as the rest.

Tom

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depends on price as well as, how much "nanny" is in the new snake, alot of us like the old way

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bottom line, we won't feel the impact immediately - as in at least 12 months after the Gen. IV's begin to hit the showroom floors. This is a limited production vehicle that caters specifically to a small group. If you want the car now then buy it now. You are buying used so the car has already taken the depreciation hit anyway.

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noticed that the Canadian prices for gen IV's have gone up approximately 10% over last year, but I think this is more of a recession recovery price increase rather than a new model price spike.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
My feeling - any press is GOOD press. The more people hear about the Viper, the better it is for all of us - to drive up awareness and demand. I suspect the new Viper will come in at $110k+ and be in limited supply. I believe this will help the prices of all Vipers. Historically prices are the lowest in Dec/Jan and start to creep up in anticipation of Spring/Summer. If you are in the market for a Viper in the next 6 months, the prices are the lowest they will be right now. Just my 2 cents and I must also disclaim that I do have an AMAZING '05 Viper listed in the classifieds.

C'MON SPRING!

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GEN1's and 2's are already near rock bottom and won't drop much more. GEN3's and 4's will definately take the biggest hit, seeing there are still brand new GEN4 ACRs selling around for $90k. I've seen used GEN4 ACRs sell as low as $65k will less than 10K miles. Used, non-ACR GEN4's can already be found for under $60k. GEN3's are starting to sell in the GEN2's $30K - $40k price range already. Higher priced Vipers just aren't moving, I've been watching them closely the last few months.

If the GEN5 is 700HP+ and better styling than the GEN3-4, then expect the "gotta have the latest" high rollers to dump their stuff to make room.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wishful thinking at it's best.
I was wondering what was "definately" going to happen, thanks for the insight....:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When the Gen III came out , there seemed to be a small drop, but in a fairly short time the Gen IIs went up substantially , and they stayed there for a couple of years. There is a good chance history will repeat itself, as many folks have lusted after the current Viper and when the new one comes out, regardless of how stunning it may look , many may view the older style as the one they want. Price will also affect the outcome , since a substantial increase may be viewed by some as not worth the expense for what they can get a nice used Viper for? All in all , since the Gen III and Gen IV market has gone up a bit in the last year, it would not be surprising to see it continue this slow trend. The one thing that has not been discussed, in the case of the Gen IV, is the relatively small production number of these 600 hp cars that were built. There may not be near as many on the market , just based on how few are out there anyway, IMHO.

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talking to a dealership General Manager that sells the Viper, is a certified service center for them and follows Viper forums, he is VERY convinced that the price points will be nearly identical to what the 2010 ACR sold for new in 2010 and that will drop the newer cars ('08 and up) down considerably. He also said his dealership is already an SRT certified dealer and will be putting in the request for the 2013 sometime in early summer. Hopes to get 3-5 of them to sell.

I PERSONALLY believe that the interest in the Viper will be renewed once the new car comes out and demand for all years will help values climb a little. Now, that may be some backwards logic, but it's what I think will happen.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
"I PERSONALLY believe that the interest in the Viper will be renewed once the new car comes out and demand for all years will help values climb a little. Now, that may be some backwards logic, but it's what I think will happen."

Agree with Bill and Mr Mom.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mr. Mom,

No such thing as a SRT Certified Dealer or a certified service center though many have been pushing for just said items. Hoping to get 3-5 cars will depend alot on what was sold in the past ( allocation ) , as well as new rules likely to come out from SRT.

With very few Gen IVs built and the market already climbing, albeit slowly, I do not see any rationale evident that the cars will drop considerably. Many have even pressed SRT for an early order date , but currently it will be later than early Summer. That is a time frame many of us hope would occur and are recommending it, though.

F

FrgMstr

I think if nothing else, the coming Gen V will do nothing but bootstrap up the values of the previous cars through brand exposure that the Gen V will bring with it. Except, maybe for the few high end ACRs that are still selling as new or very close to it.

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Mom,

No such thing as a SRT Certified Dealer or a certified service center though many have been pushing for just said items. Hoping to get 3-5 cars will depend alot on what was sold in the past ( allocation ) , as well as new rules likely to come out from SRT.

With very few Gen IVs built and the market already climbing, albeit slowly, I do not see any rationale evident that the cars will drop considerably. Many have even pressed SRT for an early order date , but currently it will be later than early Summer. That is a time frame many of us hope would occur and are recommending it, though.

About the previous sales, that's what the GM said too! He said that they look at the previous sales (I forget the time frame he told me), but he said just in the past 6 months they've sold 6. I have a pic of one that I sat in a while back before they got it ready for shipment out to the West Coast. He told me that he'd be putting in his purchase order in June. Sounds like from his story there had been a ton of complaints across the country about price gouging, so limiting who can sell these new cars to only the "better?" dealerships should help that out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone would know, it would be Bill P.
I don't see the rationale that says the release of the Gen 5 will make a Gen 3-4 fall off a cliff.
It seems to be more wishful thinking from Gen 2 owners...:D

Being the owner of a Gen 4 ACR, I know I own a very very rare car.
There are only what...650 in the world ever made?

Time will tell. It just might go down as the greatest Viper ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The ordering date given out by SRT is much later than in June. There have been some dealers pushing for an earlier date, but saying he will order in June is misleading , as the actual specific date is not set yet.

The biggest concern over the years has been qualified service techs, and it is especially true now as there has not been any actual Viper training for quite awhile. I have confidence that with the folks in SRT, now, the future of the Viper will be greatly enhanced as Dealers that sell the cars will be required to have specific training, tools, updates, etc. and keeping them current will be mandatory, IMHO.

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ordering date given out by SRT is much later than in June. There have been some dealers pushing for an earlier date, but saying he will order in June is misleading , as the actual specific date is not set yet.

The biggest concern over the years has been qualified service techs, and it is especially true now as there has not been any actual Viper training for quite awhile. I have confidence that with the folks in SRT, now, the future of the Viper will be greatly enhanced as Dealers that sell the cars will be required to have specific training, tools, updates, etc. and keeping them current will be mandatory, IMHO.

Good info, Bill! I was hearing something similar, but those are just my nosy ways........BTW, I heard SRT is working on, or has already finished, a call center specifically for SRT owners to call in with any questions, comments, complaints, etc.........is this true?

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck finding a used Gen4 ACR that is in one piece for 65K!
PAVenomRT/10

Saw one on Ebay go for this price last month, clean pics and clean carfax, no reserve. Saw another go for $67K on autotrader, last month, sold before I got to it. Both with low miles. Guys, wake up, These sell slow in the 70k's and go faster in the 60k's. I've been monitoring these things like a hawk, I know what they are selling for.
The asking price is never the selling price. If you call them up, desperate sellers are dumping used ACRs for at or below 70K to make a sale. I can't show you the ads, they are long gone, but here are cheap ACR's that are not moving:

Removable Vinyl, clean and has not moved at $77k for over a month, listed everywhere (except here). He will have to come down before he gets a bite. Listed on Autotrader as well:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008...6643698?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c239e0872

This one, relisted several times, hasn't moved in ages, $79K. He'll bite at $70K cash, but might not even get that right now:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=314289816&dealer_id=55845403&car_year=2008&systime=&doors=&model=VIPER&search_lang=en&
start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=__YWNy__&keywordsrep=097099114&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1329218862129&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=acr&sownerid=55739231&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2013&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=DETROIT_SW&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=48111&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&make=DODGE&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=243&standard=false

I know, it's crazy, and I too believe these are the greatest Vipers ever. But the market speaks for itself. 09's have been selling BRAND NEW in the $80k's at desperate dealers and still took a while to sell. So why would people pay $79K for a used one? A steal indeed, but again the market speaks for itself. Not saying they won't sell in the upper 70k's, but the release of the GEN-V will not help at all. If you're gonna spend nearly 80K why wouldn't you dump another 15k - 20K and just get the latest, brand new, hyped up GEN-V. (Assumong 95k -100k)

Last edited:

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't speak for what Gen IV's are doing now...but I just bought a Gen III and talked to a LOT of Gen III sellers.

The market for a Gen III is pretty firm, if not increasing slowly. I talked to around 20 sellers. ONE of them agreed to a smoking deal on a clean car (obviously that's the one I bought). The rest of them were having no trouble finding buyers for prices that were higher than they have been in the last year or two. A lot of them told me that they sold the car at or just slightly below their posted asking price. One of them sold their car for more than the posted asking price.

The point I'm making? You can't judge the market based on an outlier or two.

I don't think any of us can judge how the Gen V will affect prices....it really could go either way. We will see.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cherry picking a couple cars off Ebay and you can justify any price point.
You have absolutely NO idea of their condition or if they were flogged to death.
But those are far from the norm.
And I will bet (as is always the case) when you see the car in person you'll NOW why it's going cheap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte