Gen III to Gen IV Engine Build

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Tom, Don't forget the most recent update- those pics are still one update behind!

These guys don't know what Car **** is yet, haha

Unless you want to make them wait for it, to torture them ;)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Tom, Are you guys going to put the heat shields on the headers?

No, I will be shielding anything I deem needs to be shielded. There are no OEM heat shields that will bolt onto Gen-4 headers, as Gen-4's don't use them from the factory... and a hacked up set would look like hell, on top of scratching the hell out of the header coatings.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok some good progress....

Fuel rails, brackets and oil filler cap back from polish and anodizing....

Wiring harness wrapped, Passenger side coil caps installed and fuel rail mounted.

Coil Covers and fuel rails installed.

that looks pretty ****! another point for some great car ****!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
[Missing Picture- Above pics had a connector that was all apart being re-pinned]

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More pretty pictures from Dan....

Intake, fuel rails, and new shiny stuff bolted on to other shiny stuff.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any new updates? Is Santa Claus going to have your car ready for Christmas?

The only thing we are waiting on is the new throttle bodies. Tom has seen the Solid 3D Models, but I asked him not to post them. The original design is pretty much approved for production, but Tom and I are working on an alteration that will be pretty trick looking, and right up the alley of anyone who uses this system in combination with a Turbo or Blower setup.

Unsure on ETA at this time, this is a from scratch never been done before setup as a whole, let alone the throttle bodies themselves, so it takes a LOT longer than normal. Every single part of the throttle body has to be made. Body, plate, shaft, end links, springs, etc. If we didn't choose this one-off direction, the car would have been done long ago. Personally, I think the difference in the looks as well as the ease of compatibility for TT setups will be absolutely worth the wait and then some.

The only thing left after that is welding and finishing the intake tubes to the airbox.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Dan mentioned, the details of this build were unique and required much more build time than an off the shelf setup. While I am dying to get the car back i don't want to rush it. I chose this completely custom build because i wanted something unique and going to stick it through. Dan has been great to deal with and truly one of the most knowledgable builders for the Viper platform.

I also have a few other tricks up my sleeve that I am contemplating so stay tuned.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the diff anyway now it's December.
Take your time, do it right and spring is here soon enough.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That too Jon. It doesn't help that I keep adding things on. I figure while its there.... I need to stop saying that or i won't have a garage to put it in.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That too Jon. It doesn't help that I keep adding things on. I figure while its there.... I need to stop saying that or i won't have a garage to put it in.

Something great to look forward to helps get through the winter dog days.
Going to be a fun spring.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1 week and no updates?? :omg:

LOL, the wheels are turning, but slowly. Its pretty much out of my hands at this point in manufacturing, there isn't really anything left I can do until I get some things back. I had to make another Executive Decision the other day and switch a component, as one of the previously chosen components is manufactured by an incompetent supplier... and there are none to be had. That has also been a hold-up over the last few weeks, we were waiting on a part that we were never able to get.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys I have been caught up with closing on my house, finding a place to live, my daughters birthday, christmas, Work, building my house and ensuring the garage is big enough... Damn I totally forgot about the Viper. I should be ashamed....

As Dan mentioned, I went completely custom and over the top on the intake side. The throttle body and intake setup Dan is designing is going to be completely custom with the exception of the actual filter box but that also will be modified to accept polished intake tubes...

YOU CANT RUSH THE ARTIST GUYS.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to keep everyone posted, Dan is still in the final design stages of the custom mechanical throttle body configuration, clamps and intake pipes. I think we are very close to production as we are just ironing out some of the details specific to a clamp design. No hose clamps on this baby!!!!

This is truly an amazing build. If it runs half as good as it looks, I am going to be a very happy guy.

----Pics ----

Final install of Fuel rails, fittings, brackets and related parts.

Test fitting and trimming stock GenIV air box.

Wiper motor, Wiper Cowl, Wipers, crank case breather adapters and fitting installed into valve covers.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks!

Yeah I know but I am not afraid to take it out in the cold so long as its dry. The timing worked in my favor as I just moved and moving the Viper would have been another headache added to the list...

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick update. Throttle bodies are being milled as well speak. Here is a pic after the initial milling process. They are going to be pretty.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Quick update. Throttle bodies are being milled as well speak. Here is a pic after the initial milling process. They are going to be pretty.

http://gallery.viperclub.org/showph...997058-15717624-47682870-1963304506-n/cat/500

I cannot stress enough how pictures do this thing no justice... and this was just the rough-in process! This is the definition of "billet" :2tu:

-It was roughed-in on Friday on the auto-feed profiling lathe.

-On Monday it goes into the 5-axis vertical mill for finishing.

-On Tuesday it goes back into the lathe for throat profiling and o-ring groove.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
More!!!!!!!

Soon!

Unbeknownst to Tom, he will even have a choice of "milling textures" on his Throttle Bodies.

I was over there yesterday, and long story short, the throttle body in the picture above was actually a reject part. I didn't notice as I was in a hurry, but on the other side one of the tools plunged into the part when one of the guys tripped over the cable for the mill, and it lost the connection to the computer running it. The part has since been re-made [it was in the mill when I was there and like an idiot I forgot to take a picture] and should have been on the second process today.

However, when I was there, I got to talking to the guy writing the program, and we decided to try making the milling coarser to change the looks. I personally think it might look better too [not that the current one isnt awesome to start], so we are going to run one set fine like above, and one set coarse, and then see what we like. Ultimately, Tom can choose which one he likes for his car, and then we'll make a choice on any for the future based on my personal taste... which has proven to be pretty good. :D

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just keeps getting better. Machining of throttle bodies done. Check out this artwork....

T
he quality of Dan's work is just amazing. I can't thank him enough for his quest for perfection. doesn't get better than that....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte