Gen IV Mopar Oil Filter Part Numbers--Multiple?

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am hoping someone in the know can verify different Mopar Part Numbers that will work on Gen IVs. I will start:

1. I received and used Mopar SRT (white color) #05038041 from one Dodge Dealer.

2. Another Dodge Dealer has supplied Mopar (black color) #MO-090, #05281090.

The diameter of the hole for the threads on #2 is smaller so I doubt it is the same.

Does anyone know if these parts are compatible?

Thanks for your consideration and efforts!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Parts are not interchangeable. The early 090 part number oil filter will fit 1992-2006 Vipers , BUT was superseded to the 5037836AA part. There were numerous reasons for this change (which would be good for another post), but use this new number if you can on Gen 1-3 cars.

The 041 filter is correct for your car. Dodge went all metric on the new motor, so the filter has metric threads.

Hope this helps.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Are Mobil 1 filters an acceptable choice rather than the Mopar filter? I have both a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 and I know it is a different filter for both.--thanks

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are Mobil 1 filters an acceptable choice rather than the Mopar filter? I have both a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 and I know it is a different filter for both.--thanks

Stick with the Mopar filter. The main difference between the Gen 3 version and the Gen 4 version is that the Gen 3 version has the words "Viper" written on it whereas the Gen 4 version has "SRT" written on it.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT engineers posted about this in their section. The SRT or Viper filters (depending on Gen) have different bypass valves, thicker cases, and other stuff as compared to the stock Mopar filters. Something to do with the oil pressure generated in a Viper. Don't use anything but the correct SRT or Viper marked filter. Do a search and you should find the engineers' discussion about this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960