Gen V Composite Intake Manifold on a Gen IV

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As seen in this thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/667799-Week-long-highlight-thread-2013-Midwest-zone-Rendezvous

Are these composite intakes available for purchase? Has anyone bolted one up to a Gen IV to see what gains are to be made? Any idea how much labor would be involved and are they a direct bolt-on?

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ade-it-happen-feature-a-lighter-engine-page-3

"We got about 20 more lb-ft and 10 hp from the new manifold, and it’s also seven pounds lighter—weight that was previously up high.
It doesn’t transfer heat like the aluminum one did. It keeps the charge cooler in stop-and-go driving" - Dick Winkles

Now the question is will that still be 20 more lb-ft and 10 hp when bolted on to the Gen IV? I'd be interested in this mod, seems like a no brainer (weight, power, less heat transfer) depending on price and what is required for installation.

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys don't miss a beat!!!! I can tell you the change was worth it
:) Arrow racing did the install .....

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Arrow did the intake and Gen 5 camshaft in my
Motor at the same time.... Price was very good ...
The motor now pulls very smooth all the way to
redline.... Defiantly worth it!

Reaction score
They are trying to get a "package" together to sell over the counter, but all the details are yet to be finalized. Until that time you can contact them directly and have the work done by them. We will also be doing these swaps once the package is complete, Arrow is great to work with and they are always working to wards improving what we already have. Lee says that the gains on the standard ported lower are slightly lower and less consistent then the GenV manifolds and the weight and heat improvements are worth the changeover.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are trying to get a "package" together to sell over the counter, but all the details are yet to be finalized. Until that time you can contact them directly and have the work done by them. We will also be doing these swaps once the package is complete, Arrow is great to work with and they are always working to wards improving what we already have. Lee says that the gains on the standard ported lower are slightly lower and less consistent then the GenV manifolds and the weight and heat improvements are worth the changeover.
Would the change over affect warranty and emissions and be accounted for by the factory ECU?

Reaction score
Since this is not a factory configuration I would think that yes it would affect both and you would still need the Mopar PCM to run it. The optional big port heads with higher compression pistons will also work within the parameters of the Mopar PCM so those options are available also. We are getting this package to install and evaluate soon, it should be very stout!

Would the change over affect warranty and emissions?

OP
OP
S

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the camshaft required or just a "while you are in there" type addition?

If anyone needs a donor car for evaluation let me know. :)

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since this is not a factory configuration I would think that yes it would affect both and you would still need the Mopar PCM to run it. The optional big port heads with higher compression pistons will also work within the parameters of the Mopar PCM so those options are available also. We are getting this package to install and evaluate soon, it should be very stout!
Bummer:crazy2:

Reaction score
You do not have to use the cam or the pistons if you choose not to, but you will still probably need the PCM to run the intake alone.

Is the camshaft required or just a "while you are in there" type addition?

If anyone needs a donor car for evaluation let me know. :)

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the camshaft required or just a "while you are in there" type addition?. :)

The camshaft is not requierd.... I had a ported intake on the car before and can definitely tell a solid improvement ...
It is just amazing the difference in the torque and power curves... Again I can't thank Lee, Todd, and the whole Arrow
Racing staff for their professionalism through out this build... They are a top notch company to deal with!!!

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my friends on Facebook posted the other day he has the new gen5 valve covers on his ACR. Purchased from Arrow.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who goes to the trouble of changing cam, pistons and intake will probably also do headers. What kind of rwhp do you see from this package? Is it more than the approx 610 rwhp that comes with ported heads/intake/header combo with the Gen IV internals, which is close to 700HP (versus 640HP for the Gen V)? As for performance, I cannot imagine a motor pulling smoother and stronger except there is still that surge from 4k rpm with the Gen IV modded package. Does the Gen V pull smoother and stronger down low? Is that what you are going for? Or are you banking on someday being able to get codes from SRT to put turbos on the car?

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Boxter 12 ..... You are dead on .... The hit at 4500 is gone... It pulls from
2000 up to top.... I am using M&M headers ... I would like to get at least 20
Hours on the motor before I do a dyno pull... With the old combo it made 631rwhp
I'm guessing 650 now.... I have done turbos in the past and like the all motor
Combos these days.... So my wet dream is an SRT big camshaft ! Lol

cerveza v10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We do need to talk to Lee about the age of his employees at arrow ????

You must be registered for see images attach

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We do need to talk to Lee about the age of his employees at arrow ????

Times are tough...if you don't start working at that age, you'll never make it to retirement before 80.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arrow does have some great options coming out , looking forward to seeing them this week . :)

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who goes to the trouble of changing cam, pistons and intake will probably also do headers. What kind of rwhp do you see from this package? Is it more than the approx 610 rwhp that comes with ported heads/intake/header combo with the Gen IV internals, which is close to 700HP (versus 640HP for the Gen V)? As for performance, I cannot imagine a motor pulling smoother and stronger except there is still that surge from 4k rpm with the Gen IV modded package. Does the Gen V pull smoother and stronger down low? Is that what you are going for? Or are you banking on someday being able to get codes from SRT to put turbos on the car?

Does this mean that the Gen IV with Gen V intake manifold has enough room for a cross frame brace like the Gen V or Comp Coupe?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chorps, if you look carefully you will see there is a set of bars that the brace connects to, so you need to factor that in as well. I doubt it can be installed as an aftermarket bolt on.

cerveza, your car is a monster no matter how you cut it.. those are remarkable numbers for OEM heads, before and after...I would skip the turbos as well.

OP
OP
S

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do not have to use the cam or the pistons if you choose not to, but you will still probably need the PCM to run the intake alone.

Already have the PCM... Will there be much gain with the intake alone on an otherwise stock Viper or is it best done with a CAM and headers, exhaust, etc. ?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool. I would love to see a pic of that intake under the hood of a GenIV. I would also love to see a builder develope a cross brace for the GenIII and IV crowd like seen in the GenV. Might be a bit tought to get it under the hood but I would like to see someone try.

OP
OP
S

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So... Can anyone give any hints on price for the manifold and rough labor for install? Same for the camshaft? What are the HP gains to be had for the cam?

OP
OP
S

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is one picture in the forum link I posted to start this thread.

Cool. I would love to see a pic of that intake under the hood of a GenIV. I would also love to see a builder develope a cross brace for the GenIII and IV crowd like seen in the GenV. Might be a bit tought to get it under the hood but I would like to see someone try.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So... Can anyone give any hints on price for the manifold and rough labor for install? Same for the camshaft? What are the HP gains to be had for the cam?

I emailed Arrow a few days ago and still have not heard anything on price of the intake.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got pricing on the Gen V cam and Intake manifold from dealer today.

Intake $1340
Cam $2035 part number 5037698AB

Cam can be had for $1400 online, intake can be had for cheaper too.

And to quote from another thread.

The Gen V camshaft has the same exhaust profile and timings as the Gen IV cam however the intake profile has been change to improve top end breathing with a very slight loss of low and mid-range. The lifted area under the curve is greater and the intake centerline is ******** four degrees. This change alone would result in an 8 to 10 horsepower improvement compared to the gen IV profile. The cam change would be a direct swap; the intake centerline should be checked and set to 122 ATDC. Although some calibration changes were required for Gen V, our guess is that the Mopar controller would provide acceptable fuel and spark and since many of the OBD monitors are desensitized there should not be any issues with check engine lights. All bets are off with a production controller.

A Gen V intake would also fit on a Gen IV engine but since it is composite, fastener torque limiters are used to keep from cracking the intake when torqued. The Gen V has extra machining at the intake fastener holes to accommodate these torque limiters so something would need to be done to the Gen IV head or some sort of modified torque limiter would have to be made. This change would also result in about a 10 horsepower improvement with added low and mid-range torque. You would also save 7 pounds of weight and get the added thermal benefits of the composite (compared to the Gen IV aluminum) material.

Last edited: