Gen V Convertible!

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm... interesting they could keep this secret. I need to see more angles and some stripes, but looks nice. The Coupe still looks a bit meaner.

S2kap2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would make sense this is not a Dodge build. Why would they have a Ford Gt in the background?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no hoops on it. It needs some sort of functional hoops for rollover protection. For an additional 35K that should be included.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not Impressed.....No Wow factor at all and roll over protection...Just a kit car if not from Dodge...

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just as I predicted. It looks goofy with the coupe rear. Hopefully Dodge sees this and gives the factory vert a unique rear.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just as I predicted. It looks goofy with the coupe rear. Hopefully Dodge sees this and gives the factory vert a unique rear.
IMO, it is reminiscent of the upcoming Z06 vert....and that is not a good thing.:(

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a customer was willing to pay $35K for a convertible option, they either really want to be the first one to have it, or there is no convertible coming. If there was, why not just wait 6 months for the true convertible from Dodge?

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a customer was willing to pay $35K for a convertible option, they either really want to be the first one to have it, or there is no convertible coming. If there was, why not just wait 6 months for the true convertible from Dodge?
There has been no official Dodge confirmation of a roadster or of a 2015 car at all.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you think the sport-bars on your SRT10 Roadie are serious rollover protection, you are mistaken. You can hit them with a baseball bat (wear gloves) and knock them off the car. The SS-RS Camaro Vert Gen 5 is a flat-deck vert, no hoops at all.If you want a true NHRA-Spec roll-bar, you can order that and Prefix can add it to the package for about $3500.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Have you ever tried knocking the hoops off as you state? I know they're aluminum, but the way the attach to the car is plenty strong for the type of impact they would be seeing. The fact that they're only held one by one bolt each doesn't really matter because those bolts would only ever get loaded if you were trying to lift the car off the ground using the hoops. They were designed as rollover protection based on info from Herb, they just didn't want to certify them as such due to legal issues.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another hoops debate. We can't win with this one, it's really objective since we're not exactly running out to test it.

Bottom line, they're not roll over protection, per Dodge, as we know, so for me, I won't own a vert without roll over protection, as I won't put my son in the car, so an autoform is a simple requirement in any viper for me & hasn't been a big deal & looks killer, BTW.

Second, if you ever want to do a track day or SCCA PDX, etc., you can take your BMW 328 convertible, but not your viper, since the 3 series has a ROPS but the viper doesn't, so again, you need an autoform in it. IMO, a viper that can't make a lap at the track is defeating the purpose of the car and the only thing I've thought was dumb about the design, 'it's a race car that's built for the street' except it's not legal to take on-track virtually anywhere without an aftermarket mod.

Some prefer the looks of no or minimal protection and are willing to risk it, some aren't, some will do track days, some won't, so having it as an option is perfect, I do wish Dodge made the option, but hec, they're not making a vert so it's all mute now anyway. If you're buying an aftermarket 1-off vert build, then you can get whatever aftermarket/custom solution you want, prob solved for these guys.

viper vince

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they are only making a hand full of them what about parts after 10 yrs or so? I had a Shelby Dakota and when it got older it was difficult to get parts for it.

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would make sense this is not a Dodge build. Why would they have a Ford Gt in the background?
I was there at Prefix-All Viper owners were invited. The Ford GT in the back ground is the owner's car of Prefix, so before you all get into a frenzy about things that you don't know, please don't be quick to judge. The owner of Prefix owns 3 cars on the back ground. 1st was a Vett, that you can't see, the other is that Ford Gt, and the best car he said he owns #Vin# 2 was the blue Viper next to it.
It was a great weekend at Conner, Wish you were all there.

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2015 VIPER convertible starts off and is titled as a coupe,converted into a convertible for the additional $35K but is still titled as a coupe.
So roughly you would be paying $170+ then sale tax/property tax & title.
SOOO if you would buy 2 "NEW" VETTE CONVERTIBLES and pay the taxes you would still have money left over
I KNOW A VETTE IS NOT A VIPER BUT LOOK AT THE COST

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrong. You buy a 2013 new Coupe and do the conversion. The cost is much less. Also, who wants a regular vette convertible with far less capability? I do not think you intended it but your post sounds like another post from the GM switch kill Director of Internet Social Media Marketing. This thread is about the Gen V convertible - not Vettes. BTW, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, and quite a few other cars are far more money. Should those people buy a Vett convertible too? Please. Give us a break from the Vette pimping.

S2kap2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was there at Prefix-All Viper owners were invited. The Ford GT in the back ground is the owner's car of Prefix, so before you all get into a frenzy about things that you don't know, please don't be quick to judge. The owner of Prefix owns 3 cars on the back ground. 1st was a Vett, that you can't see, the other is that Ford Gt, and the best car he said he owns #Vin# 2 was the blue Viper next to it.
It was a great weekend at Conner, Wish you were all there.

My comment was directed at the rumors that this was an official dodge product.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, why doesn't Prefix offer a targa style option, like the vette and RT/10? It would seem like the mod to chop the center roof panel, or mold a CF piece, etc would be something they could nail down as easily as a total top chop and rebuild. And we see the fervor from the clubs from guys who were praying for an RT/10 styled roadster vs a vert, and it's SCCA/trackday friendly, while, like the vette, provides added stiffness when the roof panel is in.

How about a prefix Viper Targa option??

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You missed my point: 1-COST For almost $170K + taxes 2- you are BUYING a "CONVERTED COUPE CAR titled as a COUPE" that looks like a convertible 3-NOT FACTORY.
It doesn't matter what year COUPE CAR you convert into a convertible "IT IS STILL A TITLED AS A COUPE" similar to a EXPENSIVE KIT CAR.
Not everyone is skilled to do a massive change over like this and have the time to do it in a reasonable amount of time
GEN 3&4 VIPER convertibles are true factory convertibles.
For this kind of money($170+)I would buy a "FACTORY" VETTE CONVERTIBLE($80K-$90K)
"$$COMMON SENCE$$" IS NOT VETTE PIMPING

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are Vette pimping and we all know it. We common sense it. The person who buys the Government Motors convertible not all the time, but usually, cannot afford a new Viper - coupe or convertible. The Medusa is an initial limited run of ten cars done by an OEM recognized and utilized company. Here are some facts. Comparing this car to a Vette convertible is absurd.

Medusa brings the open air experience to the 5th Generation Viper. Created with pure automotive passion, Medusa is sure to turn heads. This is your opportunity to own what will instantly become a part of automotive history. With an initial run limited to only 10 vehicles, your time to order will be short. This limited edition comes with a variety of special features, however Prefix Performance is able to offer you a wide variety of custom options. This is your vehicle … make it what you want.
Numbered IP Badge

Each vehicle includes a dash mounted limited edition vehicle badge
Medusa Exterior Badging

Special “medusa” badging is finished in smoked chrome and mounted on the sides of each vehicle
Painted X Brace & Coil Covers

Under the hood, the Viper’s X Brace and Coil Covers have been painted the same colors as the vehicle’s immaculate exterior paint finish
Color Match Floor Mats

Each vehicle comes with unique “medusa” floor mats embroidered to match the exterior of your vehicle
Custom Options

Want your car painted a unique color? what about a unique stripe color? or even a unique stripe design? Prefix Performance can offer you anything you can dream up – from custom colors to custom interiors to custom wheels, the sky is the limit. Or … meet personally with one of our experienced designers who can guide, direct and inspire your choices

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
looks like **** anyone who pumps out 170k for this car is out of there mind.

Last edited: