Gen V Super Charger Option

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this is all about? V10 intake mani with dual TB on side? (yes, chilling on the top of a Hemi)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Reaction score
That engine was a Gen4 and was custom built from the pan to the engine management for a CUSTOMER, not an R&D project. That is all that can be said. Anything can be done if you have the correct amount of money and contacts although this car will no longer really be a street car.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw it and also have pictures. Everything Jack has reported is correct.

My educated wink wink guess.

Customer engine, cam in cam removed for a solid, there for testing with a new/aftermarket engine management system.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glade I cancelled my order earlier, but now for an entirely new reason....a 850hp factory SC'd Gen5 would be something I would definitely buy. It would just be a few bolt-ons and tweaks and 1000rwhp would be child's play at that point. I'm more interested in SRT giving me something I can play with and make a beastly monster out out. That could, maybe get me out of my Gen 2 TT GTS.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean the videos of the SRT Engineers "We built the engine strong because we know the owners like to tinker" - why would they say these kinds of things if they had no intention of unlocking the PCM?

It just makes no sense to me.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't happen. They don't need a supercharger to get 700+.
Without going to a 4 valve per cyl set up (extremely expensive Rand D and warranty service NIGHTMARE )they do need SC to achieve 700 HP (you can not simply cam up the GEN 5 motor AS IT WOULD NEVER PASS EMISSIONS AND IN HOUSE DURABILITY TESTING )As far as it being a PAXTON instead of a ROOTS set up i will believe it when i see it .(The Paxton units themselves can not pass inhouse durability testing )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember boys EVERYTHING that comes out of SRT must pass DRIVABILITY,EMISSIONS and DURABILITY TESTING .Durability testing is 200k miles AVERAGE ALLOW AND THE ABILITY TO RUN 72 HOURS STRAIGHT ON THE DYNO AT YELLOW LINE If an engine fails any of the above it will not be put in a car

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember boys EVERYTHING that comes out of SRT must pass DRIVABILITY,EMISSIONS and DURABILITY TESTING .Durability testing is 200k miles AVERAGE ALLOW AND THE ABILITY TO RUN 72 HOURS STRAIGHT ON THE DYNO AT YELLOW LINE If an engine fails any of the above it will not be put in a car
You keep repeating this in every single thread.

Everyone understands it.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys a buddy of mine is a test driver -consultant for FORD (FGT and CURRENT MUSTANG COBRA )One thing i learned is any 650 hp plus motor costs a fortune TO DEVELOP .(Theres LITERALLY one test after another and a budget for everything )
The Viper is a single platform car if such an engine ever came to be it would have to go in a FEW MORE CARS THAN A COUPLE OF THOUSAND VIPERS PER YEAR to remotely make the R&D COST worthwhile to SRT .

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ralph seemed to drop a lot of hints about forced induction. It seems like we may get it from the factory after all. I wouldn't be surprised if that engine was left out just to get some chatter about it as well. A "top secret" with a Winkle's name on it wouldn't just happen to not be put away and covered up before a tour.

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously IF SOMEONE is saying you can get 700 hp without supercharging they dont understand the ENTIRE PROCESS

What you are saying is, is that it would be expensive and a service nightmare. I understand that it is not easy to get there, what I am saying is, it can be done. A little off topic, NASCAR is getting 800+ from 358CI @ 10,500RPMS using 2 valves, pushrods and carburation, lol. I know you cannot make a direct comparison, but come on, 512 cubic inches and you can't make 700HP? Are they not making 850HP from their race V10? Again, I know about emissions testing, NVH standards, durability testing, warranty issues - but they could step up and deliver. This is the Viper we are talking about, not the Challenger. Supercharging has it's challenges as well, it's not free. It can be done. They just don't want to spend the money. Cost has always been the excuse for not doing something right. That is why Chrysler is always going through bankruptcy (or on the brink) every 10-15 years. It can be done, it is not an engineering impossibility. I am sorry for the rant, but I am sick of the whole cost excuse and shortcuts Chrysler has always taken.

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From allpar.com

Allpar reader “kdaviper” wrote, “A fifth-generation Viper engine was spotted at Arrow Racing, with a Paxton-style supercharger strapped to it. This could mean that SRT is planning on supercharging the Viper V-10 for production, or that Mopar is developing a bolt-on supercharger kit, or possibly that SRT is working on an engine for a Viper racing car (possibly formula-D?) It may also mean absolutely nothing.”

JRS200x had previously written that Arrow Racing was setting up a supercharger for a new model of the SRT (née Dodge) Viper. Both sources have been reliable in past predictions, though any project under development is subject to change.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously IF SOMEONE is saying you can get 700 hp without supercharging they dont understand the ENTIRE PROCESS

What you are saying is, is that it would be expensive and a service nightmare. I understand that it is not easy to get there, what I am saying is, it can be done. A little off topic, NASCAR is getting 800+ from 358CI @ 10,500RPMS using 2 valves, pushrods and carburation, lol. I know you cannot make a direct comparison, but come on, 512 cubic inches and you can't make 700HP? Are they not making 850HP from their race V10? Again, I know about emissions testing, NVH standards, durability testing, warranty issues - but they could step up and deliver. This is the Viper we are talking about, not the Challenger. Supercharging has it's challenges as well, it's not free. It can be done. They just don't want to spend the money. Cost has always been the excuse for not doing something right. That is why Chrysler is always going through bankruptcy (or on the brink) every 10-15 years. It can be done, it is not an engineering impossibility. I am sorry for the rant, but I am sick carof the whole cost excuse and shortcuts Chrysler has always taken.
Nascar motors are solid cam,open header race gas engines that dont have to last 200k miles with a 50k mile bumper to bumber warranty and pass a driveability and emissions test .Basically its an entire new ballgame BECAUSE OF THE EMISSIONS ,DRIVABILITY AND DURABILITY TESTING.If we COMPLETELY IGNORED the emissions issue a 512 cu 2 valve per cyl PUMP GAS MOTOR with a cam large enough to get 700 HP would never in a million year pass DODGES DRIVEABILITY TESTING .(A senior citizen has to be able to get in this car and drive it thousands of miles with no noticeable difference in driveability than his stock Neon per say )Idealy dry sumping the motor could have freed up 20 hp but that was too cost prohibitive .If you look at Ferrarri Valvetrains that are capable of 2.5 hp per cu on pump gas the dollar amounts invested to get those power levels in Rand D far exceeds anything in our budget.(not to mention the service aspect of such a motor )

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nascar motors are solid cam,open header race gas engines that dont have to last 200k miles with a 50k mile bumper to bumber warranty and pass a driveability and emissions test .Basically its an entire new ballgame BECAUSE OF THE EMISSIONS ,DRIVABILITY AND DURABILITY TESTING.If we COMPLETELY IGNORED the emissions issue a 512 cu 2 valve per cyl PUMP GAS MOTOR with a cam large enough to get 700 HP would never in a million year pass DODGES DRIVEABILITY TESTING .(A senior citizen has to be able to get in this car and drive it thousands of miles with no noticeable difference in driveability than his stock Neon per say )Idealy dry sumping the motor could have freed up 20 hp but that was too cost prohibitive .If you look at Ferrarri Valvetrains that are capable of 2.5 hp per cu on pump gas the dollar amounts invested to get those power levels in Rand D far exceeds anything in our budget.(not to mention the service aspect of such a motor )

I guess SRT should just close up shop, because of BECAUSE OF THE EMISSIONS ,DRIVABILITY AND DURABILITY TESTING. Seeing as those are insurmountable problems.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess SRT should just close up shop, because of BECAUSE OF THE EMISSIONS ,DRIVABILITY AND DURABILITY TESTING. Seeing as those are insurmountable problems.
The car is 640 HP for a reason .SRT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT, SRTS BUDGET HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT .There is no money in the budget .Every single aspect MUST fall within testing proceduces in reference to PLATFORM BUDGET

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is 640 HP for a reason .SRT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT, SRTS BUDGET HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT .There is no money in the budget .Every single aspect MUST fall within testing proceduces in reference to PLATFORM BUDGET

Because SRT had to work with the budget they had to build the Gen V. Had, is the operative word. If the first model year sells well, they will have a decent amount of cash to invest into research.

A mid model engine refresh? Maybe. Or perhaps the Gen VI. You are hung up on what was done to get them to this point. They reused a lot of tech from the Gen IV. If the Gen V sells well, they will be able to invest and make changes. Perhaps it will only be a "break even" endeavor with the SRT Viper as far as R&D and profits go. But, as with halo cars, they are allowed to be.

They did amazing things on a shoe string budget and it will be amazing to see what they can do with a budget they make themselves.

The 2013 SRT Viper is a "Minimally Viable Product" - it gets them to market. It is an outstanding MVP, but there is room to improve. Anyone in products development understands this.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at Chevrolets TOTAL model budget(including engine platform ) for the Vette and or FERRARI model budget (including engine platform) for the 458 in relation to Dodges Gen 5 Viper budget and their probably 10x higher

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because SRT had to work with the budget they had to build the Gen V. Had, is the operative word. If the first model year sells well, they will have a decent amount of cash to invest into research.

A mid model engine refresh? Maybe. Or perhaps the Gen VI. You are hung up on what was done to get them to this point. They reused a lot of tech from the Gen IV. If the Gen V sells well, they will be able to invest and make changes. Perhaps it will only be a "break even" endeavor with the SRT Viper as far as R&D and profits go. But, as with halo cars, they are allowed to be.

They did amazing things on a shoe string budget and it will be amazing to see what they can do with a budget they make themselves.

The 2013 SRT Viper is a "Minimally Viable Product" - it gets them to market. It is an outstanding MVP, but there is room To improve. ne in products development understands this.
People are asking why (thats the topic here )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 2013 SRT Viper is a "Minimally Viable Product" - it gets them to market. It is an outstanding MVP, but there is room to improve. Anyone in products development understands this.
PS thousands of GEN 5 COULD SELL ANDDODGE would still lose money on the car (YOU STILL DONT UNDERSTAND THE COSTS TO PRODUCE A SINGLE PLATFORM CAR )Chevy loses money on every ZR-1 it sells The cost is assumulated over the 50000 other Vetts it sells per year and the CORVETTE TRADEMARK .FerrarI loses money on every 458 Italia it sells per year at 350 k the cost is assumulated OVER THE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS IN MERCHANDISING FROM THE FERRARI NAME The question here is whether the ICONIC VIPER NAME ITSELF is worth investing in to DODGE

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From allpar.com

Allpar reader “kdaviper” wrote, “A fifth-generation Viper engine was spotted at Arrow Racing, with a Paxton-style supercharger strapped to it. This could mean that SRT is planning on supercharging the Viper V-10 for production, or that Mopar is developing a bolt-on supercharger kit, or possibly that SRT is working on an engine for a Viper racing car (possibly formula-D?) It may also mean absolutely nothing.”

JRS200x had previously written that Arrow Racing was setting up a supercharger for a new model of the SRT (née Dodge) Viper. Both sources have been reliable in past predictions, though any project under development is subject to change.
Hmm, I wonder who brough this up on the Allpar Forums, and where he/she got the info...

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS thousands of GEN 5 COULD SELL ANDDODGE would still lose money on the car (YOU STILL DONT UNDERSTAND THE COSTS TO PRODUCE A SINGLE PLATFORM CAR )Chevy loses money on every ZR-1 it sells The cost is assumulated over the 50000 other Vetts it sells per year and the CORVETTE TRADEMARK .FerrarI loses money on every 458 Italia it sells per year at 350 k the cost is assumulated OVER THE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS IN MERCHANDISING FROM THE FERRARI NAME The question here is whether the ICONIC VIPER NAME ITSELF is worth investing in to DODGE
I am glad you know better than the CEO of SRT himself.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...e-viper-inspired-%93naked-woman-beach%94.html

The 2013 Dodge Viper has to be profitable but sales volumes aren’t a priority, Gilles explained.

Maybe you should write Ralph and tell him how big of a idiot he apparently is! Seeing as you know his business better than he does.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People are asking why (thats the topic here )
No, people are asking about the future, seeing as - why, aka, the past, speaks to what was already spent. Speaking to the future, an option that isn't even announced speaks to future investment into the product line.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad you know better than the CEO of SRT himself.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...e-viper-inspired-%93naked-woman-beach%94.html

Maybe you should write Ralph and tell him how big of a idiot he apparently is! Seeing as you know his business better than he does.[/QUOTE YOUR INTERPETATION of what hes saying is not correct (lol )Hes telling you the car is [PROFITABLE BECAUSE ITS ICONIC . Going back to 93 (when many of us started with the GEN 1 the value of the VIPER meant NOTHING TO THE COMPANYS LINE IN INDIVIDUAL SALES THE VALUE WAS IN THE ICONIC VALUE OF THE VIPER NAME not to mention most Viper owners bought 2-3 other Chrysler products )FIFTEEN HUNDRED Vipers per year is a deck chair falling off the Queen Mary in terms of individual profitability As posted previously Ferrarri sells cars for 350 k and loses money on the individual profitability .PS you you ever been personally involved with any protoype testing to actually see what it cost

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, people are asking about the future, seeing as - why, aka, the past, speaks to what was already spent. Speaking to the future, an option that isn't even announced speaks to future investment into the product line.
The only reason the car is here is because of the past its an ICON TO DODGE

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1996 dealers were routinely getting 10 grand plus OVER STICKER on a 60 k car .(In todays world that would equate to over 20 g over )Thats Khow revolutionary the OLD VIPERS WERE .Any dealers you know getting 20 k over on the Gen 5s

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21