Gen V Super Charger Option

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Caveat Emptor - what follows is the truth, what it means is not as clear.

During the tour of Arrow Racing on Friday a discovery was made. Hiding in a corner all wrapped in clear plastic was a Gen V engine with a Paxton SC. It appears this was just recently dyno'ed or at least run by Arrow and was waiting for pick up by SRT.

This is not a joke, pictures were taken. - let the imagination run. Lastly, I was not at Arrow racing, but, the source is unimpeachable and the pictures are the proof.

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Won't happen. They don't need a supercharger to get 700+.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where? I've been through that thread twice!

It's gone now. There were 4 pictures in the last group posted taken at Arrow. There was a close up of a label which said something to the effect of "Hands Off! This means you! The name Richard Winkles was displayed in large letters. And we all know who Dick Winkles is and what he does.....The engine was wrapped in clear plastic and there was no doubt it was supercharged---exactly as Jack B said.

Bill

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's gone now. There were 4 pictures in the last group posted taken at Arrow. There was a close up of a label which said something to the effect of "Hands Off! This means you! The name Richard Winkles was displayed in large letters. And we all know who Dick Winkles is and what he does.....The engine was wrapped in clear plastic and there was no doubt it was supercharged---exactly as Jack B said.

Bill

Interesting. I still can't believe they are even toying with this idea!

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Intercooler and all

Bill

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May not be factory install option, but a performance catalog item, like Ford and others have done with superchargers. You wouldn't use that setup to get 700hp, it would be more like 850hp. Certainly is interesting.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it is for a drift car being specially prepared for the same well known drifter who ran a Gen III Paxtonized Viper. Since the Gen V engine has forged internals, the engine should be easily capable of 800 flywheel HP. I do not see them spending the $ to get whatever is needed to make it an OEM option from the factory but it would make sense as an aftermarket kit. If its as good as my Paxton has been on my Gen III, it will be a winner. Very interesting.

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone ever think that maybe they wanted you to see that engine? We are a very excitable lot. What better way to leak something out and see what your reaction is. Seems to have worked. If they did not want that engine to be seen, it would have been on Mars rather than anywhere nears a bunch of Viper Nuts.:rolleyes:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have spoken to Dick Winkles, and as an engine developer he is very aware of forced induction.

This does not mean that Vipers will ever come with superchargers, but the technology is well known withing Chrysler.

As JackB states. Do not read too much into this.

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will be before the aftermarket will have a supercharger or twin turbo kit available for the Gen V? The factory forged motor would make a great platform for a boosted application. I have not yet ordered a Gen V, but the day that a supercharger or twin turbo kit is available for the Gen V, SRT you will get my deposit!

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will be before the aftermarket will have a supercharger or twin turbo kit available for the Gen V? The factory forged motor would make a great platform for a boosted application. I have not yet ordered a Gen V, but the day that a supercharger or twin turbo kit is available for the Gen V, SRT you will get my deposit!

The hardware is not the problem, it's the software. If Fiat will unlock the PCM it will be 'game on'!

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully it's a factory sponsored dealer installed option, instead of standard production equipment. I don't want to see SRT take the factory FI route for future HP increases. IMHO, the idea behind an 8.4L engine is not needing FI. Let the vette use it. I'd rather have less HP and NA, from the factory at least.

Reaction score
You all do know that Arrow does (as mentioned earlier) custom builds if you have the cash. The engine was probably for a race car that is using a stand alone PCM option. This can be done for sure and there could be other things inside that make it possible on an off road car. I highly doubt as secret and the guys at SRT and Arrow they would leave anything out that was future product.

As for the PCM tuning, the people I know say that there will never be an open tuning option for the Gen4 or 5 PCM so we will see if there even comes a off road PCM for the Gen5 like the 4 has. I can hope, but know that it is not even on the table as of yet.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine was marked, "hold for Winkles"
I have spoken to Dick Winkles, and as an engine developer he is very aware of forced induction. This does not mean that Vipers will ever come with superchargers, but the technology is well known withing Chrysler.As JackB states. Do not read too much into this.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You all do know that Arrow does (as mentioned earlier) custom builds if you have the cash. The engine was probably for a race car that is using a stand alone PCM option. This can be done for sure and there could be other things inside that make it possible on an off road car. I highly doubt as secret and the guys at SRT and Arrow they would leave anything out that was future product.

As for the PCM tuning, the people I know say that there will never be an open tuning option for the Gen4 or 5 PCM so we will see if there even comes a off road PCM for the Gen5 like the 4 has. I can hope, but know that it is not even on the table as of yet.

Actually the large paper on top of the engine said "RICHARD WINKLES" and under that it said
"HANDS OFF--THIS MEANS YOU". If it's a custom build for someone's race car as you suggest, then Dick Winkles is involved. I highly doubt it.
If it didn't have something to do with Viper or SRT, why were the pics pulled from the forum? I saw the pics, and they are gone now.

Bill

Reaction score
Hard to say why, but if it was a real security issue I would think the original picture taker would be discretely tracked down and asked to destroy them so they don't post again. I think that Dick would be asked to consult on a lot of things custom or not, but I bet if there were anything being tested it would be a roots based system wouldn't you? Heck they could even be just testing the absolute limits of the stock engine so they know what it can take under boost if someone asks or finds a way to try it. :dunno:

Actually the large paper on top of the engine said "RICHARD WINKLES" and under that it said
"HANDS OFF--THIS MEANS YOU". If it's a custom build for someone's race car as you suggest, then Dick Winkles is involved. I highly doubt it.
If it didn't have something to do with Viper or SRT, why were the pics pulled from the forum? I saw the pics, and they are gone now.

Bill

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally believe that the engineers at SRT have supercharged a Gen 5 engine. Why? because they can. These guys are complete gear heads. Wouldn't be surprised at all, not one bit. Heck they could be setting up a car for drifting, for the One Lap of America, putting it in a drag pak Challenger, or for any other lunatic thing they got interested in. I doubt though it will make it to production but hope springs eternal.

HANKFAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even if it isn't a factory option, I hope SRT makes available a forced induction option through Mopar performance or at least releases the info needed to allow the aftermarket to offer a forced induction package. The day this happens Mark Jorgensen, you will have my order for my 2nd Viper.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Knowing our intrepid CEO, he could be having a SuperSnake built just to go run Targa Newfoundland again. All in all, isn't the intrigue fun, kind of like reading National Enquirer --------inquiring minds want to know, but have to think Mr. Jorgensen is on the right track.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auto rotor SuperCharger would be a great option through Mopar Performance ! And with the Gen3 to Gen4 head conversion , that would. make a good business case ! :)
Even if it isn't a factory option, I hope SRT makes available a forced induction option through Mopar performance or at least releases the info needed to allow the aftermarket to offer a forced induction package. The day this happens Mark Jorgensen, you will have my order for my 2nd Viper.

Will at RSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Better place your deposit now. There might just be a Turbo Kit sitting around for final installation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21