Going racing...where do I get stuff and what do I need??

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also need to check you local tracks for clothing attire. Most require long sleeves long pants and tennis shoes at the minimum. Well of course a helmet.

Know I see why i do not track mine $$$$

Good luck Robert

Bruce

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert....you bringing a video camera? I would love to get some in car/on car video of mine car if could borrow your camera. :) Winter is very long when it comes around so it would be nice to have something to watch. :D

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi speedracer!

Soooo glad to hear you are gonna get on the track!

First time?

Bleed brakes-motul 600 or 660, 2 containers
Front race pads if you can swing it (brakeman 3's?)
Check susp.components, wheel hub, etc. while changing pads
Tires..PS 2's huh? 3 yrs old? Wellllll....if you're gonna do NARRA also, you might consider changing them out after your first HPDE.
check other fluids, refresh if needed. Recommend mobile 1 -15/50 oil.
30% coolant, 70% water and 2 bottles of water wetter...my GenII gets hot!
Check and DOUBLE check power steering cap! I take a little out, then just out some back in before you drive it home
borrow or buy a SA2005 or better helmet
wear long sleeves, long pants, driving shoes or something close
Bring tire pressure guage, torque wrench, extra oil, windshield cleaner and a cooler of water, a folding chair and sunscreen.:)
Tape front of car, there's also an inexpensive spray-on clear protection sheet too. Email me if you want more info, and on where I buy my track supplies:)

Track ****** in the making, I can see it now!

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not read the entire thread....but don't do it....the slope is slippery and never has a bottom.

but there is a saying....it's like divorce...you know why it's expensive.....it's worth it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So with what I said above on the mileage, what do I need to do? The diff was done 3000 miles ago when I added the 3.73s. Oil was done 1 year ago and only has 400 miles on it. Everything else is factory.

You invested in 3.73s, what's another $60 for insurance?

Manual says oil and filter should be changed every 6 months or 7,500 miles (Schedule A). Schedule B says every 3,000 miles.

In other words, change all your fluids and be done with it.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also need to check you local tracks for clothing attire. Most require long sleeves long pants and tennis shoes at the minimum. Well of course a helmet.

Know I see why i do not track mine $$$$

Good luck Robert

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

And yes. I see what you mean! :omg: I am finding already I can't afford racing and I have not even started! :rolaugh:

Robert....you bringing a video camera? I would love to get some in car/on car video of mine car if could borrow your camera. :) Winter is very long when it comes around so it would be nice to have something to watch. :D

Why do you assume that I am bringing a camera or that I even have a video camera!? :omg:

Yes, you can borrow the Go Pro.....:D

Specifically, cotton long sleeve shirt and pants (i.e., not as flammable as synthetics.)

Noted!

Hi speedracer!

Soooo glad to hear you are gonna get on the track!

First time?

Hi Miss Professional Speedracer! :D

Yes, this will be my first outside of what one does at a VOI.

Bleed brakes-motul 600 or 660, 2 containers
Front race pads if you can swing it (brakeman 3's?)
Check susp.components, wheel hub, etc. while changing pads
Tires..PS 2's huh? 3 yrs old? Wellllll....if you're gonna do NARRA also, you might consider changing them out after your first HPDE.
check other fluids, refresh if needed. Recommend mobile 1 -15/50 oil.
30% coolant, 70% water and 2 bottles of water wetter...my GenII gets hot!
Check and DOUBLE check power steering cap! I take a little out, then just out some back in before you drive it home
borrow or buy a SA2005 or better helmet
wear long sleeves, long pants, driving shoes or something close
Bring tire pressure guage, torque wrench, extra oil, windshield cleaner and a cooler of water, a folding chair and sunscreen.:)
Tape front of car, there's also an inexpensive spray-on clear protection sheet too. Email me if you want more info, and on where I buy my track supplies:)

All noted! Thank you! :hail:

Track ****** in the making, I can see it now!

:rolaugh:

Four years ago in Niagara I told you how much I wanted to race (since I was a wee little kid even). And I refused to even do a track day as I know how badly I liked tracking go carts, not to mention the taste bud wetting VOI runs. I know this is a BAD thing to be trying as it will not get any better from here. I am about to walk into the mouth of the racing snake and its about to bite and racing will be in me that much more. Not sure if that is a good thing or not! :lmao:

But yes. I am forced to agree. It all starts here! ;)

I have not read the entire thread....but don't do it....the slope is slippery and never has a bottom.

but there is a saying....it's like divorce...you know why it's expensive.....it's worth it.

:rolaugh:

Yeah, so true!

You invested in 3.73s, what's another $60 for insurance?

Manual says oil and filter should be changed every 6 months or 7,500 miles (Schedule A). Schedule B says every 3,000 miles.

In other words, change all your fluids and be done with it.

LOL. OK. Solid advice! Thanks Chuck!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider insurance. Check with your insurance provider that your Viper is covered on the track. Considering purchasing track day insurance from OnTrackInsurance (ACRSteve). Because you have a yellow Viper, it will be incredible fast on the track and one of those slow Red vipers may get in your way!!! Peace of mind in case you have an accident because of those red vipers. :D

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good link too! Thanks! It would be much easier than the tape I used. Lol

Will post a pic of my cars hideousness. ;)