Group Ride to Asheville

Pat B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got the hotel booked and registration completed for the Biltmore weekend! This will be my first club event and I couldn't be more excited!

I was wondering if anyone from the Hickory area or anyone that might be passing through wanted to meet and head to Asheville together? If we can get it worked out with our work schedules, we are hoping to leave Hickory around 4:30-5pm on Friday.

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of us coming from Raleigh will be passing through Hickory. Not sure when we are leaving yet

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha I'm so done with early morning departures. I'll check with the wifey and see when she would like to head out on Friday.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat, we'll probably be through Hickory around lunchtime. That would get us to Asheville early enough to have a nice drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway Friday afternoon. Any chance you can leave earlier in the day?

OP
OP
P

Pat B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CEJ, I wish I could - my girlfriend and I will just be getting back from a beach vacation on Wednesday of the same week, so both of us are going to have to work pretty much full days on Thursday and Friday. We should be able to get out around 4pm, but that's about the best we'll be able to do. Leaving around 430pm should allow us to get to Asheville in time for the dinner on Friday night.

OP
OP
P

Pat B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries...looking forward to meeting you both at dinner!

Thanks, same to you!

It will be a little weird going into the weekend without knowing anyone, but definitely looking forward to meeting new people!

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Pat, we are probably leaving earlier in the day to make a nice drive on the pkwy before dinner.

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raleigh guys... what do you think about leaving around 11am, arriving ~3p:30pm and checking in (assuming a snack & gas stop and picking up people along the way), then going for a drive before/towards dinner. Maybe leave the hotel at 4:30 to end up at our dinner location @6pm

For those outside of Raleigh, we will be passing through Greensboro, Winston Salem, Statesville, Hickory... and other towns along 40.

MREEVES

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Terri and I are looking forward to meeting everyone and the drive over to Asheville. Let us know what time. We will be ready. Thanks, Mike.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, how about a 10 a.m. departure. We may get early check-in and hit the BRP a little earlier.
We can hit one of NC's famous BBQ places for lunch on the way over.

OP
OP
P

Pat B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, an update - we *might* be able to leave earlier - what time do you Raleigh guys think you'll be coming through Hickory?

OP
OP
P

Pat B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like we are indeed going to be able to leave earlier so if there is a convoy coming through Hickory in the early afternoon we'd love to tag along.

Thanks!

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Pat. It takes roughly 3 hours to get from Raleigh to Hickory. A few of us are looking to leave somewhere around 10 a.m. Friday, so we would reach Hickory around 1 pm. Are there any good local BBQ restaurants in Hickory we could meet at and get some lunch? Looks like Asheville is about an hour from Hickory. That gives plenty of time to get to the hotel (maybe early check in) and then go for a scenic drive and get back in time for dinner.

OP
OP
P

Pat B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Pat. It takes roughly 3 hours to get from Raleigh to Hickory. A few of us are looking to leave somewhere around 10 a.m. Friday, so we would reach Hickory around 1 pm. Are there any good local BBQ restaurants in Hickory we could meet at and get some lunch? Looks like Asheville is about an hour from Hickory. That gives plenty of time to get to the hotel (maybe early check in) and then go for a scenic drive and get back in time for dinner.

Haha, I eat my BBQ on the EASTERN side of the state, not this side! There are plenty of places to eat, but I couldn't recommend a "good" BBQ restaurant in Hickory because there really aren't that many - at least none that stand out. Plenty of options for lunch though..

x60079

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will probably be able to take Friday off and if I do, I will be up for the group ride.

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat, How about we meet at:

Carolina Bar-B-Q, Statesville
213 Salisbury Road
Statesville, NC 28677

Or is that heading a bit too much in the wrong direction for you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pat B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, that would be fine - that's only about 15 minutes east of me. About what time are you looking to arrive in Statesville? We could probably be there sometime around 1pm or a bit after.

As of right now, we are a go to leave early afternoon - it's possible that will change, but looking good so far.

Looks like a number of you are coming from Raleigh - whose coming up from the Charlotte area? Chuck? Anyone else?

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat, If we leave Raleigh by 10:30am, we should get in Statesville right around 1pm. Sounds good

Mike, Could you meet me at the WilcoHess gas station across from Fuquay High School around 10am? Then we can head out to meet the Raleigh guys.

Raleigh Guys, Any suggestions on where to meet and take off from at 10:30am?

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, it looks like somewhere around 540 and I-40 would be a good place to meet up. Will you need to gas up and/or get coffee or just meet and go?

BTW, if you know of any stations along the route that sell ethanol-free gas, that would be good info to have.

CBR-ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Chris, I am traveling for business tomorrow through Thursday, but plan to meet you all in Statesville at 1pm at the Carolina Barbeque. Please confirm that this is correct, if not, I will be traveling another route to Asheville from Charlotte. See you all Friday, looks like GREAT weather in the forecast!

Slammed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll meet you guys at the Carolina BBQ in Statesville also, did I catch that right that we'll be doing lunch there around 1pm?

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, if anyone can't make any morning meetups with someone in your area on Friday, then you can try to meet everyone at 1pm in Statesville. We will all be having lunch at:

Carolina Bar-B-Q
213 Salisbury Road
Statesville, NC 28677

Then head from there to the Holiday Inn about 1.5 hours away (I assume that is where everyone is staying):

Holiday Inn Downtown Asheville
42 Tunnel Rd, Asheville, NC 28805

93viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Chris What time do you think you will be coming through Greensboro? Could meet you at Sandy Ridge Rd. close to airport. Thanks Phil

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the guys around Raleigh, do you want to meet up at the BP/Kangaroo just off of Airport Blvd (just south of I-40 and RDU airport) Friday morning? Get there around 9:45 to fill/drain fluids and check tire pressure.

Kangaroo Express
100 Factory Shops Road
Morrisville, NC 27560
(919) 467-6009

93Viper, I think it would be about 75 minutes to get to Greensboro. Is there a rest stop near Greensboro where we could meet? (thinking easy exit/entry from I-40 for several Vipers)