1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTS ACR will not rev above 3500 rpm, what's could be wrong?

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by HorusRa, Mar 8, 2021.

1. HorusRa

HorusRa Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

My '2000 GTS ACR will not rev above 3500 rpm, what's could be wrong? It's been stored for a couple years without too much running. What should I be looking for? Spark plugs, magnetic Coils, distribution wires, ??? Its got 40K miles.
    Thanks

2. Mark Crosby

Mark Crosby VCA Member VCA Member

Check your spark plug wires and make sure they’re not lose, cut or broken going to any of the plugs. Check engine light? Codes? Need more info to help.

3. HorusRa

HorusRa Enthusiast

Hi Mark, Thanks for the quick response. My Check Engine Light is on but only for bad reading of O2 sensor of aftermarket Corsa exhaust (not an issue) but I will double check with OBDII, would that give me a code for this type of limited rev problem? I have brand new ignition coil, plugs and plug harness to install, that might only help right? Love the car anyway!

4. redtanrt10

redtanrt10 Enthusiast

You might have a plugged cat(s).

5. Mark Crosby

Redtanrt10 could be right to with the plugged cats. If you got codes, post emm up. I had some o2 sensor codes because of long tube headers. Had to relocate the upstreams closer to the block. They weren’t heating up fast enough and the car wouldn’t go into closed loop mode, causing my car to just stay running rich which is not good for cats. Hopefully this may help you in a right direction

6. redtanrt10

redtanrt10 Enthusiast

Mark, I don't have codes but pull the sills off and take a look. The cores can come apart. I'd reach out to Dan Cragin at SPT, not sure where in Ca you are, he's east of LA. I've heard folks say a bad cat can do what you're experiencing.

7. Mark Crosby

I was trying to help out HorusRa. I was sharing what I experienced in the past. I already fixed my problem a while ago lol. Just sharing what did happen to me and what could have been a problem to plug a set of cats by running to rich, but never happened to mine. Caught the problem right away :1up:

8. Ulysses

Ulysses Enthusiast

You should check if your battery is in good shape. A bad cell will cause low voltage and your car will not perform correctly. Batteries often go bad if the car is stored without some kind of battery tender. Vipers are very sensitive to low voltage levels.

9. littlecaars

littlecaars VCA Venom Member Venom Member

I agree with the previous comments about a possible clogged cat. The first thing that came to my mind when you said the car was in storage for an extended period of time was a clog exhaust. I had a customer that had the same situation and when we took the exhaust apart it was clogged with mice for about 3 feet.

10. kssssnake

kssssnake Enthusiast

Typically air or fuel flow. Plugged intake or exhaust or fuel filter. Had the same thing on another vehicle. Fuel filter plugged. Would not rev. Also. had mice fill an air box on our daily driver.

11. WHY U TRY

WHY U TRY Enthusiast

12. Dan Cragin

Dan Cragin Enthusiast

Check your fuel pressure. Drive it with a gauge attached and see if the pressure drops when it looses power. I typically just tape the gauge to the windshield.

13. DarkSnake

DarkSnake Enthusiast

If you have substantial power below the 3500 peak rpm, I would guess that the trans sensor has failed and your ECU thinks you are in Neutral. But that could be determined at the dealer on their computer.