GTS drag racing????

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a GTS 2000 with headers full exhaust (no cats), modified air intake (70mm throttle etc) ported manifold, striker heads and cam, Dc performance did the tuning. It has also hoosier drag radial. Anyways I went to the local track and I was not too impressed with the results. I could not have a good start the tires were spinning too much. Here is the result againt a 2010 ZR1.

2010 ZR1 2000 GTS
60 ft 2.358 2.105
660 ft 8.256 8.037
mph 94.94 93.95
1/4 et 12.255 12.023
mph 123.63 127.05

I did a few runs and the best I got was 128mph.

The track was not sticky at all, so this is part of the problem for both cars but I need good advise and how to get better results. This car should be very close to high 10s. Tire pressure was 29psi, the drag radials are installed on stock 18in wheels. I believe I should lower the pressure of the rear tires but ???

That day I raced a Nissan GTR, a Z06 2003, and won all races but it is only because my Viper has more power not because of the driver.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Guy

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like previously mentioned, lower the tire pressure.

IThat day I raced a Nissan GTR, a Z06 2003, and won all races but it is only because my Viper has more power not because of the driver.

Although the ZR1 trapped around 3.5mph lower than you, it appears he lost due to his launch. I'm a horrible drag strip driver, and even I don't run 2.3 60' times. You were .253 quicker to the 60' mark, yet won by .232 seconds. What confuses me is that he was catching up despite being slower at the end. Looks like one of you may have botched a shift. Driver error, power advantage, whatever.... you still WON! :2tu:

Now lower that pressure and knock a second+ off of that time.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tire pressure should be about 17PSI, at 29 it would be like sitting on glass.

Do you really want to run radials at 16 lbs. I run bias plys at 16, but, radials? If I ran my 16" MT DR's at 16 psi I would think the rims would be touching the ground.

I little different topic, but, the MT DR's act a bit strange on the street with more than 25 psi, they tend to wander, probably because they crown. They are fairly stable for general driving at 25 psi.

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I have a cam and roller rockers. This car should be between 560-600rwhp. Next time at the track I will try 22 psi and do from there.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think with the mods you have you will run 10s. I think mid 11s is more realistic. I like the M/T Streets. I ran 14 lbs of air for 1.4 60 foots....I launched at 4500 rpm with NO wheelspin....Just my 2 cents for what its worth... Keep trying! :eater: :drive: :dunno:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really want to run radials at 16 lbs. I run bias plys at 16, but, radials? If I ran my 16" MT DR's at 16 psi I would think the rims would be touching the ground.

I little different topic, but, the MT DR's act a bit strange on the street with more than 25 psi, they tend to wander, probably because they crown. They are fairly stable for general driving at 25 psi.

I haven't had a problem yet. :2tu:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think with the mods you have you will run 10s. I think mid 11s is more realistic. I like the M/T Streets. I ran 14 lbs of air for 1.4 60 foots....I launched at 4500 rpm with NO wheelspin....Just my 2 cents for what its worth... Keep trying! :eater: :drive: :dunno:

It's not the car but the driver. That's a solid 10sec car. Hard part geting being able to drive it there. Keep practicing and keep us posted after ur runs with the lower tire pressure.

What rpm are you launching and shifting at?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also ran a set of MT drag radials. They were ok for a while but, after had a tendency to spin even in 2nd gear. I never liked them on the street. I felt the car could go out of control if pushed. Currently running M&H racemasters drag radials. A whole lot better but, not for the street. I run 11.6 123mph. I had the MT tires down to 16 lbs hooked up pretty well but, were not good at the other end. I installed a line lock to warm them so I could keep the air pressure up around 22 lbs. Still had traction issues with them. Had to get off the throttle in 2nd gear to get straight.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I have a cam and roller rockers. This car should be between 560-600rwhp. Next time at the track I will try 22 psi and do from there.

Your hp numbers seem to be in alignment with Gen4s (not sure of torque). Since a Gen4 averages mid 11s you should be able to better that time and go low 11s without too much effort. Thanks for posting and keep us informed. Good luck

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basic top end package (your running )on Pilots your car should be running mid 11s fairly easily (drag radials low 11s ).But i dont have to tell you its all in the driver.My old GTS(fully worked NA MOTOR )on pump gas and Pilots RAN 11.2 at near 132 with a pro.A beg level driver however could barely break into the 11s.

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is the driver for sure, I'm new to drag racing but it is also a new track and people without AWD have traction issue. For example a Mercedes E63 with over 500hp was doing 13.5 at 110mph. What RPM should I be shifting???

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HMMM..

I had a 99 rt10 with 450 rwhp after all the bolt ons..I made around 75-100 passes in it in a 3 month period..far from an expert but here goes..

first I dont think you are makeing 600 rwhp..id say more like 530-550 rwhp based on you 128 mph trapp speeds (spinning actually makes you trapp a lil higher)...

So just guessing that you probally have 540 rwhp this is good for a 10 second pass at the right track in the right weather with a good driver..

a 12.0 at 127-128 mph is NOT a bad start. You are trapping 10 mph higher than a stock GTS usually hits at 117-118 mph..

You should lower your rear tire pressure down to 20-22 ps1 (warm)

launch at 1500 rpms

walk it out through first gear

dont power shift second (shift at 5500 rpm's)*very easy to redline first gear*

let second catch for a second and then press the gas pedal down in a smooth motion

firmly shift third (shift at 5600 rpm's)

power shift 4th (shift at 5800 rpm's)

if you can do this all in a smooth is fast motion then you will land a 1.9 60 foot and run a 11.6 at 126-127 mph

with more practice and in favorable conditions and weather then low 11's is defiently achieaveable with a good driver. 10's will require the best driver with the best conditions and the best track prep..
(or you could by some sticky tires) maybe get it then

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are probably right the car makes approx 550 rwhp but it has to be confirmed on a dyno. Thanks for the good advice. will test and see. Our track is very slow and the only ones getting good results are the GTR and Porsche Turbo because they are AWD.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here was my best time racing against the clock, NOT THE LIGHT. I had stock street tires. See signature for mods. I would think you would be a full second faster than me putting you at 11 flat. And for the record I have only dragged a couple times, so my times may be slow for the car.

DragSlip_Mar07_1.jpg

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have Dan at DC put a Tru-Trac diff on your car. They did mine, and the traction now is night and day..

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here was my best time racing against the clock, NOT THE LIGHT. I had stock street tires. See signature for mods. I would think you would be a full second faster than me putting you at 11 flat. And for the record I have only dragged a couple times, so my times may be slow for the car.

DragSlip_Mar07_1.jpg
The problem is on stock tires in the 550 rwhp range your not going to be able to hook enought to et a 10 se cond run.Out of all the Vipers ever run down the quarter mile on PILOTS(in that power range) one driver and one driver only has run 10s.As i previously mentioned my old Gts trapped close to 132 mph on Pilots (made a TRUE 575 plus NA to the tire ).The car was driven by ABSOLUTELY the best of the best making hundreds of passes at Englishtown (a VERY VERY FAST TRACK )and the very best Et it EVER RAN WAS 11.2 ..Mid 11s in that power range on Pilots is commonplace for a good driver anything under that becomes difficult.

OP
OP
G

GTSGUY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone tried to put weight in the back (ex sand bags) to get better traction??? Thanks for your comments, because with all the mods on my Viper I should get better results.

By the way my Viper GTS 2000 Steal Gray is the most popular car at the track, nice locking, sound terific and beats any Corvette.

So far anyway. If I could get in the low 11s it would be fantastic.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone tried to put weight in the back (ex sand bags) to get better traction??? Thanks for your comments, because with all the mods on my Viper I should get better results.

By the way my Viper GTS 2000 Steal Gray is the most popular car at the track, nice locking, sound terific and beats any Corvette.

Low 11s with drag radials is definately feasable on Pilots highly doubtful with just the top end done.It really (on stock tires) is a point of extremely diminishing return .The record for a bone stock Gen 2 is 11.5 at around 118-119 mph.With my old car no matter what i tried ,(who drove it ect) it NEVER ran better than 11.2..A near 132 MPH trap indicated it easily should run deep into the 10s but no one could ever hook it .

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ha ha ha...and actually the record for a stock gen2 is 11.61 at 122 mph..still humming along pretty good even all the years later...

To the OP..Congrats on the ZR1 kill. That must have been a rush!!!!

SST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are all of the above people running the 3.07 gear? If despite horsepower increases, the times are all in the mid 11's, then why would anyone ever consider changing to a more aggressive gear? Just keep the 3.07 and save the money for another set of tires and wheels that hook.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ha ha ha...and actually the record for a stock gen2 is 11.61 at 122 mph..still humming along pretty good even all the years later...

To the OP..Congrats on the ZR1 kill. That must have been a rush!!!!
WRONG,i believe Jamie himself CORRECTED you on a previous post (i will try to find it or E-MAIL him )the record is 11.5 .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL
I would let you pick me a few stocks but this one was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to easy :D
what ever happenerd to you running Evan heads up in a stock car on STOCK tires .Still waiting for you to get back to me on that one.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Times are changed. The Pilot PS2s are amazing as I now have traction even in second gear! My car with old style stock Pilot Sports (1s) went 10.5@139mph and I think 1tony1 went a few tenths faster that that with street tires.

Sounds like you could add Nitrous Oxide and your car would run easy 10s with street tires. Nines with slicks.

Ted

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Like most said you should easily hit low elevens with some descent tires, in your case proper air pressure. I have a very similar car to yours. 2000 GTS Steel Grey, Striker heads, SVS headers and Striker cam + DC tune, no other engine mods. I've made four passes on two different occasions (kicked out after the second pass both times) 11.2x @ 129mph best pass with Sport Cups. Even the Cups are downright dangerous without proper heat and track prep.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang