GTS vs. C6 Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it has probalby been beaten to death (and I did try a search first).

My older brother is picking up a C6 Z06 this Saturday. What is it going to take to run with it? From what I have read, a GTS will run high 11's to mid 12's at 116-120 mph.

I am very familiar with Vettes and have seen them run mid 11's at 124-126 mph in the quarter stock. He is going to stay close to stock (CAI / tune). I actually persuaded him into getting the Z as I know he will enjoy it. Tried to get him to buy an SRT, but he couldn't find one at the price point he was looking for.

How much horsepower will I need to be making? My car put down 425 rwhp / 456 rwtq bone stock w/ smooth tubes ( K&N filters ). Headers, high flow cats and exhaust won't be enough....

I plan on taking my car to the track this month, and am expecting mid 12's, but would be extatic w/ something in the high 11's.... (I do have some 1/4 mile experience - last Vette went 11.0 at 128 mph)

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for any input!

:2tu:

Edit, my car is a 2001 GTS w/ 7k miles.

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the highway, it takes skill out of the equation.... my brother isn't interested in running me at the track. If we were doing a 1/4 mile race, I wouldn't be worried about beating him since he has never been to the track.

I guess I should have been more specific. 40/50 mph to 130/150 mph? (closed race course)

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an SCT tune. Should help and to beat him, probably 500rwhp at least. If he can drive and your cant then more.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you and your bro's skills are equal, the Z is going to walk away from you in any gear...if he can't drive (like 90% of the Z owners out there) you might have a tiny little chance... :)

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you and your bro's skills are equal, the Z is going to walk away from you in any gear...if he can't drive (like 90% of the Z owners out there) you might have a tiny little chance... :)

I'm well aware of this... I just want to hear from someone that has experience with beating a Z - what mods? How much HP?

Not looking to add a supercharger or stroker motor. A stock Z will do 11.5 at 125 mph all day. What mods will I need to run similar times at a track with a DA of 1000-1100.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A GTS needs less power than a srt10...With the 18 inch rear tires..

You need 480 rwhp to beat a C6Z06 in a srt10..

How ever the same feat has been accomplished in GTS's with only 460 rwhp..

460 rwhp in a GTS is basically every bolt on...

Theirs a story on Viper alley about a stock C6z06...stock SRT10..Stock GTS and stock FGT going at it from 40-160 mph..

C6Z06 was 1.5 cars behind the FGT
SRT10 was 3 cars behind the C6Z06
GTS was 2 cars behind the SRT10

5 cars back is a lot of distance..get another 35 rwhp and you can get him

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm well aware of this... I just want to hear from someone that has experience with beating a Z - what mods? How much HP?

Not looking to add a supercharger or stroker motor. A stock Z will do 11.5 at 125 mph all day. What mods will I need to run similar times at a track with a DA of 1000-1100.

You should really talk to FROG...He can tell you what a GTS needs better than most

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
F.Y.I. 02 with rockers, tubes, filters, 708 cam, Belangers headers, high flow cats, and 3" catback, and tune = 461 R.W.H.P. and 499 rwtq on a 100 deg day in so cal. Hope this helps with what you would need to do to get the h.p. with bolt ons. Also still passes CA sniffer emmissions :D

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS has done several 11.8s with a good driver, K&Ns and a cat back exhaust.

Now with several more mods resulting in 100 more HP, and a less than good drag racer (me) behind the wheel it has done a couple of 11.4s. One of the drag racers at VOI mentioned that they thought my car should pull high 10s with a good launch and power shifting.

I have watched people add drag radials and knock off 0.4 to 0.5 seconds.

Hope that helps... good luck~

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the 90s i ran one of the fastest pump gas Gen 2 GTS out there (11.2 at near 132 )mph on stock tires .That being said DRIVER FOR DRIVER you will need A FULLY WORKED NA MOTOR TO BEAT HIM.If you do a search you will find the SAME driver holds quarter mile records in both these cars those records indicate you have 7 tenths and over 6-7 mph trap speed to make up.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember stock Z06 have run 10s EXTREMELY low 11s bone stock on stock tires .

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone.

Remember stock Z06 have run 10s EXTREMELY low 11s bone stock on stock tires .

They have run those numbers in -DA... Our 1/4 mile track is about 1,000+ DA. Most Z's run in the mid 11's at 125/126 mph range.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. It is a drivers race.

I don't entirely agree with this.... a bone stock Z driven by the average driver will beat a GTS driven by an experienced / great driver.

I know a number of friends that own a Z06, the only problem is that none of them are stock (500+ rwhp).

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your going to need ported heads on your GTS to SMOKE a C6Z06. The stock heads on the GTSs do not flow very well.

With that said, mod wise. The (forged years) GTSs has more potential IMO..

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone.

They have run those numbers in -DA... Our 1/4 mile track is about 1,000+ DA. Most Z's run in the mid 11's at 125/126 mph range.

I don't entirely agree with this.... a bone stock Z driven by the average driver will beat a GTS driven by an experienced / great driver.

I know a number of friends that own a Z06, the only problem is that none of them are stock (500+ rwhp).
True but we still are comparing apples to apples since the Gen 2 record of 11.55 was run on the same track (same driver )as the Z06s run OF10.9 all with the same DAS .Your pretty much on the mark with your statement regarding drivers as driver for driver the Vette is simply much faster (its a little more power,400 lbs lighter and is geared better ).Previously i mentioned my heavily modded Gen 2 that car against a bone stock GEN 2 was a GREAT RACE .(I had just about everything short of a different crank done to that motor )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your going to need ported heads on your GTS to SMOKE a C6Z06. The stock heads on the GTSs do not flow very well.

With that said, mod wise. The (forged years) GTSs has more potential IMO..
To go NA your going to definately need a top end job (plus gears )and i dont think that will get it done since most cars are trapping in the 125-126 range with that done .The Vetts trap in the 128 range stock so itmay take some bottom end work.

OP
OP
N

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint it yellow. :)

My GTS is yellow.... so is the Z :omg:

:drive:

True but we still are comparing apples to apples since the Gen 2 record of 11.55 was run on the same track (same driver )as the Z06s run OF10.9 all with the same DAS .Your pretty much on the mark with your statement regarding drivers as driver for driver the Vette is simply much faster (its a little more power,400 lbs lighter and is geared better ).Previously i mentioned my heavily modded Gen 2 that car against a bone stock GEN 2 was a GREAT RACE .(I had just about everything short of a different crank done to that motor )

11.55 is moving out for a GTS.... If I can get it into the 11's I'll be elated. I wasn't aware that the 11.55 run was at the same track, was it at MIR?

I'll revist this thread later this month once I make it to the track...

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To go NA your going to definately need a top end job (plus gears )and i dont think that will get it done since most cars are trapping in the 125-126 range with that done .The Vetts trap in the 128 range stock so itmay take some bottom end work.

Joe I think a GTS with just stage 3 ported heads,stock cam, and bolt on headers, exhaust will be faster overall compared to a bonestock C6Z06. When I say overall, I mean both quarter mile, and street racing from a roll, etc. From a dig, I think the Viper has an advantage. Since it's easier to launch compared to the Z..

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS is yellow.... so is the Z :omg:

:drive:

11.55 is moving out for a GTS.... If I can get it into the 11's I'll be elated. I wasn't aware that the 11.55 run was at the same track, was it at MIR?

I'll revist this thread later this month once I make it to the track...
Yes it was done in Virgina as far as mag tests the 11.77 done by Mopar Perf was done at Englishtown (i was there ).A good driver on a sea level track usually runs around 12.1 in a stock gts.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe I think a GTS with just stage 3 ported heads,stock cam, and bolt on headers, exhaust will be faster overall compared to a bonestock C6Z06. When I say overall, I mean both quarter mile, and street racing from a roll, etc. From a dig, I think the Viper has an advantage. Since it's easier to launch compared to the Z..
I cant say on the street as my on experiance has been with a pro level driver in each car on the strip .In 2005 Super Chevy had a test going at E-Town on the new Vette .In those years they often used my GTS as a benchmark to run against.,When i got the call to bring the car that day (i thought it was a joke esp since i had run low 11s at 132 plus AND THIS WAS A TOTALLY STOCK VETTE ).My car was not available but i went to watch anyway.Bush let me tell you he was popping 11.4-11.5 in near 100 degree heat into a 5 mph headwind like nothing at near 127.In the same conditions i would usually trap 128-129 .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill put it in perspective my Gen 4 in much better weather than which the Vette was run in ran 11.3 at 129.7 at Englishtown .A Z06 and Gen 4 are very very close.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run a stock Z06 with my GTS which has no cats, Borla ex, K and N's with smooth tubes. We were dead even up to about 150 and then we would let off. Raced a few times and the same results. As others have said there is no skill in a roll on. I have also raced a stock SRT a few times and I pulled away VERy slowly but none the less still stayed ahead of him up to about 140 mph. I have also raced a few SRT's at the drag strip and beat them every time. None of us had a clue what we were doing at the drag strip but it was still neat to see an SRT behind me. I think I got lucky and got a great engine in my GTS.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ill put it in perspective my Gen 4 in much better weather than which the Vette was run in ran 11.3 at 129.7 at Englishtown .A Z06 and Gen 4 are very very close.

My assumptions above were based on my personal experience( add, subtract etc). I let my friend drive my bonestock Z06, and I was in my 600rwhp GTS. Doing a roll race my GTS would destroy my Z. From a dig, the GTS seems to be easier to launch which was a little surprising to me because the Z has traction control. Not to mention launch control to..

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run a stock Z06 with my GTS which has no cats, Borla ex, K and N's with smooth tubes. We were dead even up to about 150 and then we would let off. Raced a few times and the same results. As others have said there is no skill in a roll on. I have also raced a stock SRT a few times and I pulled away VERy slowly but none the less still stayed ahead of him up to about 140 mph. I have also raced a few SRT's at the drag strip and beat them every time. None of us had a clue what we were doing at the drag strip but it was still neat to see an SRT behind me. I think I got lucky and got a great engine in my GTS.
Exactly, its tough to gage who starts first ect .To truely tell which car is faster you really need a pro level driver to run each car the same day at the same track.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My assumptions above were based on my personal experience( add, subtract etc). I let my friend drive my bonestock Z06, and I was in my 600rwhp GTS. Doing a roll race my GTS would destroy my Z. From a dig, the GTS seems to be easier to launch which was a little surprising to me because the Z has traction control. Not to mention launch control to..
I would be afraid to try anything like that because in NJ just one time getting caught in any senerios like we are talking the could pull your license for years.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would be afraid to try anything like that because in NJ just one time getting caught in any senerios like we are talking the could pull your license for years.

I know what you mean. We only tried it a few times, and that was it..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.