Guys Running Motons or Adjustable Suspensions

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake eye - I left you a message this morning. Give me a call when you get a chance.

Guys Thanks for the great response. The first order is going in monday. Kits are all ready for shipping. As a courtesy, we are willing to extend the $30 discount to anyone who gets thier order in before then. Otherwise the price is back to $499 which is still a great price.

Please pm me or call me if you are interested.

Tom

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the putting this together; the kit looks great and is the only one like it. I haven't checked my Penskes in over a year, and will soon have Motons for my (soon) '08.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is a neat little kit. I wish it were available a year or so ago. I had to put one together for myself because nothing like this was available. While my home made shock filler kit works very well (parts from Moton, Grainger, used nitrogen tank, etc.) it's a bit bulky to take to the track.

FYI, I've been buying my nitrogen locally from a welding supply store.

This kit would be really neat for home useage and for the track.

I have checked my Motons (on three Vipers) regularly and have not found serious bleed down issues, but like everything else, they do require maintenance.

One tip; I have found that my cars seem to like about 160 to 175 psi in the canisters. I tried higher pressures of 200 to 230 and found that while the shocks did stiffen up the ride at these higher pressures, they lost some of their "rebound" controlling capability. It was a trade off.

Nice job Nader.

Dan:2tu:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for that tip Dan, I'll play with the pressures and pay attention to the rebound.

-Kurtis

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dan. The kit did come out nice and is incredibly convenient. I am impressed that you were able to build a system from scratch. As for me, I just did lots of research and asked the right questions to the right people. I am glad I was able to help out here. That is what this website and club is about.

To all that purchased the kits, the orders were submitted today for processing. I will send each of you an email once they are set to ship.

I am in the process of putting some detailed instructions together as well as some tips for adjustment. Once completed I will post a link here.

As Dan mentioned and Mark at Woodhouse preaches, 175 psi is great for all around driving. If you want to go a little softer, dial the pressure down some. For a firmer ride, dial it up a bit. WIth this kit, you are able to test different nitrogen pressures to determine what feels best best for you.

Last but not least, we are working on some other goodies for this suspension setup that I am sure you will all like. I will keep you posted.

Tom

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok...great system. now for the hard questions...

Track Use..How is this mounted. What protects the canister?
have you done any testing? Lets say you wreck, the canister explodes? What happens when a canister of nitrogen expoldes? I could not see actual road racers using a system like this? Just too many variables.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Not really a hard question - why would you keep it in your Viper during racing?

have you done any testing? Lets say you wreck, the canister explodes? What happens when a canister of nitrogen expoldes? I could not see actual road racers using a system like this? Just too many variables.

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah - not such a hard question. This kit does not install in the car. It is simply a portable adjustment kit to take along with you.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
No kidding,

I keep my shock filler kit in my trailer. It is used between sessions to make adjustments at the track.

Dan

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I just wanted to give you an update. Kits are now complete and all orders will be processed tomorrow and will ship thursday. You should have the kits within 7 business days, possibly sooner depending on where you are. We were waiting for the cases to come in.

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys I just wanted to give you an update. Kits are now complete and all orders will be processed tomorrow and will ship thursday. You should have the kits within 7 business days, possibly sooner depending on where you are. We were waiting for the cases to come in.

I got mine yesterday, filled it at a local welding supply, and I've already set my pressures on all 4 canisters. It works great, simple to use, and now I can play with the pressures to get the best setting for the track. The kit, case, and setup looks nice and professional.

Thanks!

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys here are some pics of the kit in use... It works amazingly well and only take about 10 seconds to put together, connect and adjust the pressure for each cannister. I am sure you will get 60 or so adjustments out of a full bottle before needing to refill. I bought a seperate nitrogen tank since I plan on doing some extensive testing of the kit.

Here is the bottle inflation tool connected to the bottle to fill the portable bottle.
DSCF2093.JPG

To start you simply screw the high pressure regulator to the top of the bottle. Connect the inflation hose via the slip on fitting on the bottle. Then connect the valve at the end of the braided hose to the moton cannister. Make is snug but not too tight. Make sure the T bar on the valve is turned all the way counter clockwise before screwing the valve on the moton. Also make sure the valve below the gauge is closed which is shown below.
DSCF2157.JPG

Once everything is connected, turn the T bar on the valve clockwise all the way until it stops. This depresses the schrader valve to release/add pressure. You should get a reading on the gauge.

DSCF2167.JPG

At this point adjust the dial on top of the regulator to set the desired pressure. Once there, open the valve below the gauge. This will equilize the pressure in the moton with the regulated pressure from the bottle.

DSCF2181.JPG

Once you have the desired pressure in the Moton cannister, simply turn the T bar on the valve connected to the Moton counter clockwise until it stops. This will release the schrader valve and trap the pressure in the cannister.

That easy...

As noted, for every 12 psi increase/decrease that results in approximately +/- 5lbs of spring rate. the cannisters can handle from 100-300 psi.

This kit is still available to anyone interested.

Enjoy.

Tom

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom-the kit came today! I just picked up my car with the New Motons on it and we got a record for the day 4.5 inches of snow two days later! The kit looks top notch and worth every penny! I can't wait until the weather breaks to try it out and it will be a nice piece of equipment to have!

Thanks again!

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave too bad about the snow. Still not a bad time to adjust the cannisters for the next run. I am going for a long drive this weekend to see which pressure i like the best for all around street driving.

I hope you see some warm weather soon...

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys we have sold 15 kits thus far. if anyone else is interested please let me know. If you are running Motons this is a must have to simplify the adjustment process maintaining proper pressure.

I am also working on some other accessories you guys will be interested in. I will post them as soon as I have some pictures.

Tom

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, I'll order a kit from you. Tried calling tonight but no answer, so will call tomorrow.

Jim

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good talking to you Tom. Look forward to getting this kit. Good job.

Jim

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice talking with you Jim. I will email you once your order is processed and I have the tracking number.

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back in town. I'll call you tomorrow and follow up about getting a kit.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished setting the pressure on my Motons. This kit really does work great.

I've had the Motons on the car for almost 2 years so I was curious if the pressures had dropped in the canisters. When you hook the fill system up to canister and open the valves it takes about 20 psi or so fill the empty hoses. After it was all hooked up I notoed the pressure readings before filling the canisters.

In the rear the gauge showed 150psi which sounds about right since these are filled to 175 psi from the factory (and the empty hoses take up about 20 psi) Looks like they didn't loose any pressure after all this time.

Up front the canisters registerd 135psi .....I had the canisters under the hood since I installed them untill recently(I now have them behind the fog lights) I wonder if they lost some pressure from under hood heat...they would definatly get too hot to touch.

Anyhow, today I set all four canisters to 200psi. The car feels noticably stiffer. I'm not sure that this is the best setting but I just wanted to get a feel for how much increasing the pressure would affect the ride of the car..it does quite a bit.

I'd be interested to know what pressure settings the rest of you end up going with.

Good job setting us up with this kit Tom.:2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad the kit worked out so well for all.

I just recently went to 190 from 175 psi. I think it is a nice in between especially considering the crappy roads here in NY. While it is a bit firmer, i think it is perfect. I was suprised also that I could actually feel a 15psi difference.

The heat wouldnt cause a pressure loss in the cannister so long as you always test the pressure when the cannister is cool. Heat will in fact increase the pressure in the cannister. I am working on figuring out what that pressure increase represents and how to keep the motons shielded from the heat when mounted in the engine bay.

For months i have been researching brackets to mount the motons under the hood and on the rear of the trunk. The rears are pretty easy but under the hood proves a bit more difficult since we have to deal with heat and hood clearance. We are close to a solution which i should be able to post soon.

I just love this Moton set up.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe Mark at Woodhouse is installing the fronts behind the wheel close to the shock itself...Not sure what type of bracket he is using..That should eliminate the heat issue. ILLSMOQ's location probably works just as well...

OP
OP
N

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he does both. The problem with mounting them behind the wheel is accessibility. You will need to take the wheel off to make any adjustments. Also exposing the cannisters to the elements doesnt help either. ILLSMOQ's mount is smart since they are mounted behind the access panel, but I like the convenience of mounting under the hood.