Guys with HID Fogs (H3 Bulbs)

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed the el cheapo HIDs from the Ebay thread a year or so ago on my RT, and they worked consistently but I didn't like the initial flicker and fade-in they did.

After the brand was recommended, I bought what I thought was a Philips-brand kit (just Philips patent) for my low beams (9005) and fogs (H3). Lows went in fine and work great, but the fogs are WAAAAAY too long. There is a little metal shield that covers the top half of the bulb tip in the foglight housing and the bulb runs into it.

My options are:
A.) Order a new set
B.) Try and modify that metal shield so that the current set fits

I'd rather do the first. That said, who has installed a good, high-quality set of H3 HIDs in their GTS and what brand were they? Where did you get them? My budget is $150-200 for the set.

Comparison pic for fun:

You must be registered for see images

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not own a viper, but i can tell you this. The HID bulbs, no matter how cheap or expensive, will always be a longer bulb by design. So unless there is a kit, you will have to modify the housing of the fog light to accommodate the longer length of the bulb I believe

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't specifically remember what was inside the housing of my 1993, but I know that the cheap Ebay kit fit. It could be for 1 of 2 reasons: 1.) The bulbs were longer but not THAT much longer or 2.) That specific year/model didn't have the metal shield inside the housing.

If anyone else has installed a kit with little or no issue on a GTS, please post up. I'd hate to shove a titanium drillbit into the housing to get the bulb to fit (plus I'd be blinding the hell out of anyone in front of me) so I'd like to know all of my options up front.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every set of HID's I have seen have a flicker then a fade in. It is the gas inside the bulb warming up. I have a set on my Viper as well as stock on my Audi and 350z and all 3 vehicles exhibit this same behavior. I have never seen an HID bulb just turn on. You are probably just noticing more because the fog lights are not projectors and they don't block any light at all on the inside.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 3 conversion?

The fogs ONLY!

:D

I thought about that. Which bulbs on the Gen. III are HID? Lows/highs/fogs, or just a combination of one or two? I do like the look of the housing on a Gen. III better and I know of other guys that have done the swap. That'd be worth considering, but also adds $200-300 to my $400 project.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about that. Which bulbs on the Gen. III are HID? Lows/highs/fogs, or just a combination of one or two? I do like the look of the housing on a Gen. III better and I know of other guys that have done the swap. That'd be worth considering, but also adds $200-300 to my $400 project.

I wanted to swap the guts of a Gen 3 headlight to a Gen 2 but funding has not been there.