Hadnt Drag Raced In A While

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought Id give it a try tonight...I had tried a few months ago but my clutch went out on the second pass...Before that hadnt drag raced the srt in over two years...

First and foremost we no longer have a drag strip here in hawaii. But when we did I went all the time and would bring my FX2 timer and test it for acuracy against my actual time slips..The FX2 is amazingly accurate for a lil $300 unit..

So I went to the same spot Ive been going to for years...1000 feet elevation and 78 degree hawaiian night time air..

2003 srt10 viper with kn intake/titanium exhaust/no cats/arrow roller rockers/sct tune/findanza light weight fly wheel/under drive pulley....476 rwhp and 512 tqe on the dyno jet SAE

FIRST PASS WITH 30 PSI IN THE REARS RESULTED IN A 12.9 AT 119 MPH....

Second pass was a 13.4 at 116 mph

car was getting really sqireely so i said man screw this and let out a lot of tire pressure..I ment to get to around 20 psi but accidentally went all the way down to 17 psi in both rears.."DOH"

Third pass was a 12.8 at 117

Fourth pass was a 12.7 at 118

About this time I remembered how important it was to be fast on your shifts(like I said it had been over two years so cut me a lil slack)

Fith pass was a 12.5 at 120

Sixth pass was a 12.8 at 118

Seventh pass was a 12.6 at 119

Then I started getting the shifts down a lil better

Eighth pass was a 12.3 at 120

Ninth pass was a 12.3 at 120

Tenth pass was a 12.3 at 120

OK my shifts were getting pretty good..By why in the heck was I only running 12.3's at only 120????Over two years ago i was running 11.8-12.2 at 119-122 mph with far less mods..

I reviewed my log and saw that my 60 foots on all these runs were 2.3-2.5 seconds and my best 0-60 mph of the night was a horrible 4.6......I used to run 3.9-4.2 0-60 mph every time a few years ago!!!!

So I figured what I needed to do was stop baby footing first gear and bogging and let her spin a lil and hook and go..

Elleventh and final pass was a 12.2 at 121 mph....60 foot was a 2.2 and 0-60 mph was a 4.3

Had a smile on my face as it was all starting to come back to me..That run literally brought back all my memories..In these srt10's you gotta launch hard with a lil spin and go!!!!!

So I was now ready and felt for sure with a 2.1 60 foot I was gonna do a 12.0 at 122 mph and work her from there...

But it started raining hard!!!!! And I called it a night..Guess Ill have to wait another week before I can try again..

I know that before the sct tune and titanium exhaust and findanza light weight fly wheel and underdrive pulley when she was 460 rwhp with the roller rockers/kn filters/no cats she could run pretty consistent 11.9-12.1 at 119-121 mph..

Hopefully with the new mods I can get a consistent 11.7-11.9 at 121-123 mph with some more seat time

insurme

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like fun! Do you you have the stock shifter? What tires are you running?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you run it on the same dyno in similar weather? I can't believe you only picked up 16 hp with exhaust and a tune.
I haven't gotten mine on a dyno yet to test stock vs tune, but I thought guys were picking up pretty good power with just a tune.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice runs Twister. My experience with runflats are as follows. If you underinflated the tires, the car becomes harder to launch. The reason it becomes harder to launch is b/c the center of the tire begins to cup or bow and all of the cars weight is supported by the stiff sidewalls. No contact patch = a lose rear end. Try 22-24 psi next time. Your mph will increase, and your 60 ft times will improve.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys...

Dragon Rider ill go with 22 psi next time..Yea the best of 2.2 60 foot was pathetic..I was bogging first gear or spinning all trough first gear every pass except that last one...

But it takes practice..When i first got the car over two years ago I had a similar experiance. I think I was running 13.2 at 115 mph..Then about 25 passes later (going out on 3 seperate days..I was able to squeeze 11.9 at 121...After about 50 passes I was able to squeeze 11.8 at 122..

So it takes a lil time..But Ill get it were she needs to be...

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you run it on the same dyno in similar weather? I can't believe you only picked up 16 hp with exhaust and a tune.
I haven't gotten mine on a dyno yet to test stock vs tune, but I thought guys were picking up pretty good power with just a tune.

Ive been told that the findanza flywheel and under drive pulley wont really show on a dyno but actually allow the car to rev faster and indeed the car is faster...

The titanium exhaust sounds awesome but it has never really been proved that any exhaust adds any real rwhp...But I can gurantee that eliminateing the cross pipes and the light weight titanium saved me quite a bit of weight..The shop that did the install claims 70-100 pounds was lost

So that just leaves the sct tune and no cats...

I went from 457 rwhp to 476 rwhp..So thats about a 19 rwhp gain..

But really the average srt10 dynos 440 rwhp...So I have an adittional 36 rwhp..Wish it was more but thats the way the dice fell

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twister you know it's all about seat time. My M&H racemasters are a great tire. They really bite and you don't have to let so much air out of them thats slows you down at the trap. When I go to the line I line lock a short burn out to clean up the tires. Go to the staging light and line lock so I don't roll out. when the lights go I push the linelock switch off and release the clutch on the third light it's one, two goooooo cut a .006 light and a 1.7 60'

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
twister, before you wreck ANOTHER viper...please get a set of PS2's or something stickier on that car PRONTO

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukrunr