harley V rod calling me out !!!!!!

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take his money, he wouldn't have a chance. Heavy bike + only
100HP. - this is not a bike to take to the local drags.
Also, rider weight(and height-resistance) is a much larger factor, than a car. His weight handicap would be like you going
to the drag strip with a car load of friends riding in the 1/4th mile.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bone stock Viper...good luck.
I think with the "right" rider, he will take you.
All published numbers on a stock V-Rod are LOW 11's (and these numbers are with the "height/weight resistance rider"!
smile.gif
)
I don't know any stock Viper (great driver or not)
that has run better than an 11.7...especially not a cream puff.
Top speed is obviously all yours though.
Many things come into play here too - would it be a rolling start? From a stop?
...anything can happen.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by getbit:
Bone stock Viper...good luck.
I think with the "right" rider, he will take you.
All published numbers on a stock V-Rod are LOW 11's (and these numbers are with the "height/weight resistance rider"!
smile.gif
)
I don't know any stock Viper (great driver or not)
that has run better than an 11.7...especially not a cream puff.
Top speed is obviously all yours though.
Many things come into play here too - would it be a rolling start? From a stop?
...anything can happen.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't that 11.7 done with a creampuff... RT no less?

OP
OP
H

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oneslowhemi, you might check out the driver on that bike,
sounds like it could be Getbit. Better leave him alone, I
think he has a nitrous bottle tucked in there somewhere.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be careful. I raced a V Rod two sundays ago from a roll. He was not that far behind on a motor only run.

I am pretty sure he would have taken me if I was stock. One thing- I can not say if the bike I raced was modded. It may very well have been.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
H

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This sounds like a job for Gerald - he's know far and wide
around this board as "the clean-up guy" . His record against
bikes is something like 144 to zip. After he comes to town,
them pesky bikes will fear the site of you.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makara, I was referring to the published times in Popular Mechanics years ago in an older GTS. Not aware of best creampuff numbers though. My best run in my stock '01 was 12.08 @ 119 mph. My point is only that the VROD is fast for a cruiser - much faster than many expected - and should roll a STOCK Viper. Killing most bikes with Gerald's monster is like swatting a fly with a nuke.
HP, when I want to go fast, I roll in the Viper... my VROD is for cruising only...NO NOS THERE!
wink.gif

Looks like you got your monster back from Apex! Congratulations!
I wouldn't mind a stroker motor myself one day. Hope to check it out at VOI or maybe at the Louisiana Viper/Vette shootout in October. We need all the BIG VIPERS to show up and lay down the smack.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I know of very few people that own a Harley and leve it stock. Myself included. It takes very little head work or fuel delivery work to take the VRod from a 100 to 110 or 115 cubic inches. I wouldn't go up against one with my car unless it was top end and then I would still have reservations. Good luck.

OP
OP
H

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first post, was not to put the V-Rod down, it definitely
could be a handful on he street. I love bikes myself, I just
finished building a custom softail - 113CI SS motor,~135HP.
Like cars, you sometimes can't tell what your dealing, and there
never is an absolute certainty. At present, I just don't see
many hopped up V-Rods(it's just too new), as compared to the
Evo. However, it is built(with some compromises) for speed.
The key factor, I thought, was the size of the rider. As with
any contest that you have control over, do your homework.
Since Jason knows the strengths of both, he may be able to
supply you with the insight to make a kill.

Jason, I'm in the 'just-got-my-car-back' phase, hopefully we
can meet up later and kick some Corvette butt.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hugh,
Looking forward to it. If you need details for the La. event, check in the events area of this forum or email me. Love to see that monster run!!
With all this talk of VROD, I just had to go run mine around town. Gets lots of looks, just like my Viper!

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should have NO problem in the mile (you better kill him actually!). I think top speed is only 140 mph for the VROD. From a dead stop in the quarter, he COULD take you out. There is a computer upgrade for it. I have not run mine at the track yet. His height and weight is to your advantage since he is larger than average guy. I'm sure he has upgraded air filter also - usually do that at the same time. A friend of mine has the computer upgrade, k&N filter and screaming eagle pipes and he walks all of our friends highly modded HD's. I have yet to run him. I may see if we can set something up this week (he is my neighbor) and I can let you know how bad he pulls me (or not). I am 5'11" and 180 lbs., he is much shorter -mayber 5'6" and at least 170 lbs. We have an advantage over your antagonist. When are you planning on running him? If my car was stock, I would let my trusted friend run me on my VROD to see what would happen, but my car would STOMP my bike right now. Let me know time frame on this race and I'll at least try to roll with my neighbor and let you know what happens with those mods...

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think in a 1/4 race, it would take a pretty good rider on a VROD to outrun a GTS - assuming you know how to drive. If you can run a consistent low 12, you should be ok. It will take a good rider to hit 11's on a VROD - the average joe (especially a tall average joe) will likely be around low 12's.

Then again, this is in a 1/4 race. Look at the MPH on the VROD - 116mph. So he can launch that sucker aLOT harder than you can launch a Viper... but then you start reeling him in. In a 1 mile race, a Viper is going to be easily passing 150mph. I am positive a VROD ain't gonna be going 150mph ever - so you will absolutely,positively win in a 1 mile race.

Up the bet as much as you can, and have some fun with his money!

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have ridden on both and I would say you don't have a prayer against a V-Rod. You would need to be a super driver and he would need to be pretty poor. V-Rod is fast, wouldn't be a wise bet. I don't think there are that many "sport" bikes that couldn't take a Viper.

OP
OP
H

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy is 6'7" and weighs 260lb, think about it - it's like
you,or me,riding with a passenger on back. Someone with an
equation can plug in the numbers, and it might surprise you
how much that extra weight will handicap the times. I lean
toward the cruiser bikes, including the V-Rod, but that said,
they are usually not in the same league as the crotch rockets
that have 50hp,or more,and less weight. There are a number of
bikes running 5 sec. on our 1/8th mile track, even if they
fell off some in the 1/4th mile - they're FAST - (too fast for me). An extra 90 to 100lb added to - normal rider weight + bike
weight- then compare that with what it would compare in reference to your Viper, then look at Wt/hp ratios (I don't have a calculator handy) Also someone 6'7" 260lb has a huge
frontal area,as far as added wind resistance- which is another
factor against the V-Rod. The only way this dude could beat
you, would be with his fists- and you might want to think about
this before you piss him off.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say run him just for the fun of it!

In a short race, say 1/4 mile, I think driver skill will be the most important factor. The bike mags have the VRod pushing 11.2 second quarter miles, usually with an experienced 170-180 pound rider. With decent riders, probably mid to high 11s.

In a long race, half mile to a mile, I think the Viper will have an advantage, with more top speed and aerodynamics. VRods top out at 140ish mph. Not too bad for a cruiser IMO.

I'd be careful challenging even today's 600 cc sportbikes, since in skilled hands, they can run high nines in the quarter, in basically stock form.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oneslowhemi,
just be careful if you get squirrelly making a shift and take him out like a 7-10 split
death2.gif
that would not be good.

I have never ran against anyone for real just pulling away from the occasional light.
So seeing that I would not have a clue on a real race that would be my concern. Getting sideways.

good luck and again be careful. Don't want you to tell us a story of tragedy; just of a viper win.
smile.gif

JIM

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(assuming he is stock)
1/4: best driver will win. probably you if you can pull a low 12.

1 mile: if you happen to lose the 1/4, you will overtake him before 1/2.

ZX12: Please show me a high 9s stock (or with pipes/ecu etc) 600. I've never seen that. Only bikes I've ever seen break into the 9s with pipe and map/rejet are 900cc+.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miles B:
(assuming he is stock)
1/4: best driver will win. probably you if you can pull a low 12.

1 mile: if you happen to lose the 1/4, you will overtake him before 1/2.

ZX12: Please show me a high 9s stock (or with pipes/ecu etc) 600. I've never seen that. Only bikes I've ever seen break into the 9s with pipe and map/rejet are 900cc+.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to
amaprostar.com , and look under the 'Records' area for 600 SuperSport class. 9.656 sec at 140 mph, quarter mile. If you look at the 'Rulebook', you'll see that only limited modifications are allowed, and are things that you would commonly see on the street. The engine must be stock configuration. Frame and swingarm must be stock specs. No wheelie bars, only DOT tires allowed.

Some of the guys who lose street races (while on a bike) lose because they don't wring out the full potential of their bike. Even I'm guilty of this. If you've ever tried to launch a modern sportbike aggressively, you'll see just how tricky (and scary) it can be. If you power it too much without slipping the clutch, you'll loop the bike in a first gear wheelie, or break the tire loose. The big bore bikes can wheelie in second and third gear during a roll-on race, and many riders can't control this very well, so they tend to apply throttle too gingerly. That's when they're vulnerable to a sports car's (especially a Viper) monstrous torque.

I'm not the greatest rider, and I've been humbled by the really seasoned riders on their 600s and 750s. I can get them on the big end, but at lower speeds and certain roll-on races, I've been taken down, even on my mighty 1200. Rider skill is a big part of the game.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesus... that is fast. I stand corrected.

I think the poster would still be safe... chances of coming across a rider like that are pretty low.

I've been riding a while, through a few bikes.. currently I have a TLR I'm planning on turning into a track bike (road race not drag)... love that vtwin cornering. Hard as hell to launch with the hydraulic clutch.. it's either slow, or huge wheelies. Looks good for the kids though ;-)

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Miles,

I agree that driver skill will play a big role in this race. A lot of the bikers you see on those fast bikes are 'posers' or 'squids', and have more fun doing things like wheelies in heavy traffic, crazy driving, and stunts. But when you want them to extract the full capability of the machine, the way they were intended to be used, that's where they fall short. Some riders though are really good, and can push those bikes to the limit on the street (which is dangerous, no matter how skilled they are).

One of my riding buddies has a TLR1000, and with twin Yosh pipes, is one loud machine! I'm starting to like V-twin bikes, especially the Ducati 998. They are narrower than inline 4s, and V-twins have better torque curves, making them ideal for track racing. I think my next bike will either be a Ducati 998 or the new 999, depending on it's reviews.

Can't wait to hear the results (and analysis) of this race...

OP
OP
H

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oneslowhemi:
THE RACE IS SET UP FOR MONDAY SEPT 2....I promise all of you I wont let the VIPERworld down.. He is still in the smack mode and I think he is having second thoughts about the mile!! We will mark off the quarter and race thru to the mile ,two races in one.Let you all know on monday nite!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done Deal!! I'll have my popcorn ready.

OP
OP
H

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by HP on 08-28-2002 at 08:45 PM</font>

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck, man.
We need to keep shattering the myth that cars cannot beat motorcyles. The look on their faces is always priceless.
Have a safe labor day race!

OP
OP
H

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go!! I don't think he will want a rematch.
Looks like you got the fever now. We all had our money on ya!