Has anyone removed the (fake) roll bars?

viking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the roll bars don't serve any purpose and may only minimally add to its appearance, has anyone tried to remove them? Wouldn't be that difficult to create an insert for the holes and the car's convertible lines might be improved.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They're easy to take out. Pop out the little square panels behind each seat, undo the bolts, and slide them out. You can probably use your ashtray to fill at least one of the holes.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of replacing them with the chrome bars. has anyone installed them? Any pictures?

OP
OP
V

viking

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ashtray is a great idea. Make the holes drinkholders!
I'll try to remove them tonight. If anyone has pictures, would like to see if the car looks better without them.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they do nothing in a roll over? This would make no sense. Please advise!

They are aluminum, of about the thickness of your fingernail, wrapped in rubbery plastic. Can't imagine they would do much in a roll over.

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will do nothing but kill you. Dodge needs to revise this.

I dont think the fake roll bars will kill you because DC engineers a smart enough to take roll overs as an option for this beast. They may not be functional but it wount kill you to completely remove them either....

I have seen them wrapped in carbon fiber which is a nice touch... :2tu:

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a set of the ViperTrim chrome bars for sale. They look great on the car. Due to my heavy track participating I installed the Autoform bar so I don’t need the chrome bars anymore, $400 takes em

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get a real roll bar put in.... safety first. Also if you ever want to do Viper Days or take it to the track you will need a real one.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of the ViperTrim chrome bars for sale. They look great on the car. Due to my heavy track participating I installed the Autoform bar so I don’t need the chrome bars anymore, $400 takes em

you have a pm

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, real roll bar here too. When you see what these "Sport Bars" are made of, you will, most likely, puke. No protection from rollover with these babies....

FASTFUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, real roll bar here too. When you see what these "Sport Bars" are made of, you will, most likely, puke. No protection from rollover with these babies....

Don't they have to meet Gov. safety standards or something?
Please advise! :usa: :eek:

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took mine off when my sub stopped working, you have to- to get the plastic surround off. Like it was said earlier, they are very thin and held in only by one bolt each. Aesthetically, I think they're fine but I wouldn't bet my life on them for rollover protection. BTW, in the end, I found that the subs connection had popped off. Chrome would look awesome though!

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do they do nothing in a roll over? This would make no sense. Please advise!

No, they are strictly there for apprearance. There's a warning sticker on the door jamb that says the car has no protection for rollover. Its considered an open car.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone else interested in the chrome or possibly brushed bars? They are fairly expensive - $715 but maybe we could work a deal.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone else interested in the chrome or possibly brushed bars? They are fairly expensive - $715 but maybe we could work a deal.

i just purchased the vipertrim chrome hoops from vipergmc and will post pics
as soon as i install them, they are on their way. if i dont like the look i
will sell them for much less then the $715 being charged. i will start a new
post with them installed, lots of pics showing install as well.

tom

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe me, DCX knows about the quality of those (fake) roll "hoops". A little over a year ago a DCX exec borrowed a Viper to take home for the weekend. He didn't get more than a block or so away from the HQ when this happened:

6594accident_1_-med.JPG

It took quite a while for the police and paramedics to get him out because the "hoops" collapsed.

6594accident_II_1_-med.JPG

They took him to the local hospital. I'll bet it was embarrasing to go back to work the next week!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the only time I can use the word 'pathetic' when it comes to Vipers. You have a 400-500 HP / 500++ Torque car (1992-2005) that is capable of near 200 MPH, and you have no roll-over protection? That is just sad.....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now Bruce, are you sure the hoops collapsed on that car. My recollection was that the windshield collaped and it was sitting on the hood and roll bars/seat backs (notice the trunk completely off the ground).

And NO I did not have first hand knowledge.