Headlight ballast ??

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a low beam out. I thought it was the bulb but apparently not. I'm now thinking the ballast has failed. It is a 2004. Anyone run across this issue ?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
first, check for Low Beam Power and High-Beam Control at the 4-way connector in the inside of the fender near the corner of the hood. If nothing, check fuses.

If all is OK, can you hear a faint high-pitch whine when you turn on the headlights?

Do you have a bulb to swap out or can you swap the bulb from the other side temporarily?

(Be VERY careful of these bulbs, and make sure the power is OFF and connector is disconnected before attemping this! HID's will do a really good job of knocking you on your ass if you get zapped!)

If it does end up being the ballast, I should be able to find you a used one, though they are tough to find without the whole headlight sometimes.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
(Be VERY careful of these bulbs, and make sure the power is OFF and connector is disconnected before attemping this! HID's will do a really good job of knocking you on your ass if you get zapped!)

You say this like you know from experience? :2tu:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You say this like you know from experience? :2tu:

Not from this exactly, though I have had a few "enlightening" experiences of the same variety. The starter on a TIG torch is loads of fun if you forget to attach the ground, and hold it in one hand while resting your other hand on the peice to be welded. Caffiene doesnt have anything on that wake up experience!

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not from this exactly, though I have had a few "enlightening" experiences of the same variety. The starter on a TIG torch is loads of fun if you forget to attach the ground, and hold it in one hand while resting your other hand on the peice to be welded. Caffiene doesnt have anything on that wake up experience!

Oh Ya and a good lick of 220 is not recommended but it was interesting! I didn't have to shave for two weeks?:burned:

OP
OP
B

boplaw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
first, check for Low Beam Power and High-Beam Control at the 4-way connector in the inside of the fender near the corner of the hood. If nothing, check fuses.

If all is OK, can you hear a faint high-pitch whine when you turn on the headlights?

Do you have a bulb to swap out or can you swap the bulb from the other side temporarily?

If it does end up being the ballast, I should be able to find you a used one, though they are tough to find without the whole headlight sometimes.

Yes, I bought another set of bulbs and installed it, that's why I'm thinking the ballast is the culprit.

I do hear the high pitch whine. I checked the connector, fuse and swapped the relay.

Same result. Let me know if you locate one Daniel. I doubt the ballast is under warranty but I'll check with my service adviser tomorrow. Thanks.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When installing a new bulb or taking out the existing bulb, I would also NOT touch the bulb with your fingers without wearing a glove. The oils on your fingers, even after you wash your hands, will diminish bulb life. It's not unlike the bulbs in outdoor lighting (Malibu, etc.). I use the same surgical gloves that I use in the garage to protect from dirt and grease. They work great, and you can buy them at Harbor Freight for a song compared to medical supply houses. Just my .02........after having learned by experience.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When installing a new bulb or taking out the existing bulb, I would also NOT touch the bulb with your fingers without wearing a glove. The oils on your fingers, even after you wash your hands, will diminish bulb life. It's not unlike the bulbs in outdoor lighting (Malibu, etc.). I use the same surgical gloves that I use in the garage to protect from dirt and grease. They work great, and you can buy them at Harbor Freight for a song compared to medical supply houses. Just my .02........after having learned by experience.

Yep, good advise, especially on HID's. They run VERY hot, and fingerprints are a sure fire way to pop the casing in a hurry. The housing is designed so you can get the bulb in without even coming close to touching it however... luckily.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, I bought another set of bulbs and installed it, that's why I'm thinking the ballast is the culprit.

I do hear the high pitch whine. I checked the connector, fuse and swapped the relay.

Same result. Let me know if you locate one Daniel. I doubt the ballast is under warranty but I'll check with my service adviser tomorrow. Thanks.

Sounds like the ballast for sure. The high pitch whine is the starter attached to the bulb, which was another likely culprit.

I will see if I can track down a damaged/used headlight for you, and also get a price on a new one for worst case.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
(New) Headlight Power Pack: 280.00 List, 224.00 Your Cost, Can have one in about 3 days.

Cant find any damaged ones, and good used headlights will be more than the ballast alone.

I would advise if at all possible swapping over the power pack to the other side to make 100% sure that is the faulty component.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo