headlight switch??

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys my headlights sometimes flash and to turn the headlights off after on I need to turn them off them back on and off again?? Could this need to be coded or has the headlight switch failed?? car has under 5k miles and had the headlight flash recall done in 03.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks bro, the instrument panel stays fine and like I said it had the recall done. I was hoping it would be the switch

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Understood...but, could the micro-corrosion return...and, if so...would the solution be a new switch or reflash? Just food for thought. There was a ton written on this early on.

Good luck..and, please post solution.

OP
OP

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again Steve, i actually went to the new srt dealer on Li today and spoke to a nice woman she said a full reflash of the car would be 280 and that it also could be the switch. I have a tune on the car so i would have to swap that out 1st before bringing it in. Its weird too because the lights dont just turn off so i may buy a switch and see if that fixes anything.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Had a brief discussion with Tom(after I sent this thread to him)...not much different that you suspected...could need new stalk or BCM reflash. Unless I (we) am(we are) missing something...do not see what your tune has to do with BCM reflash...thus why " a full reflash of the car would be 280" would be required. One has to wonder about level of experience and/or motives in my opinion. Hopefully, someone smarter than I will jump in here.

If "Li" means New York...I'd RUN to Chuck Tator in South Salem !!!!!

OP
OP

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck unfortunately cant do the reflash anymore, dealer told me the reflash would wipe out all the modules and then recode them so to take the tune out and re install after the reflash. are you saying that I shouldnt have to take the tune out?? or reflash the whole car?? stalk looks like under 80.00 so may try that and go from there. any other insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks again for putting some time in Steve.:2tu:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"are you saying that I shouldnt have to take the tune out??"...Tom did NOT seem to think so...will speak with him in more detail Monday.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am an independant repair shop owner and have the capability to flash program as per J2534 protocol.
Have flashed a few Chrysler products.
If you take the car to the dealer, and have them flash the PCM, if you have an aftermarket tune, Your tune will be lost.
They can reprogram other modules on the car, and that won't affect the PCM, but I would not trust the dealer to not 'mis-communicate' between the service writer and the tech or whatever.
Reload the stock tune so you don't lose the performance tune when you go to the dealer.
Sometimes they will 'take the initiative' and flash the PCM just to be nice and update it for you to the latest calibrations (more for emission concerns than anything else)
Dodge dealer did that to me on some warranty work I had done on the Challenger. -didn't charge for it, which was nice, but did it without asking or anything.
Be careful.

OP
OP

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The advisor was the viper advisor, and advised me to take the tune out. i appreciate the input. Whats your thoughts allan switch or i need a reflash??