Heffner 1000SCi Track Results--Timeslip!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't quite read the 1/8 mile mph, i think its 105. I can't imagine the pull on the top end to go from 105 to 140 in the last half of the 1/4, now that's power.

That's correct and a very good observation. I think it's also an indication of what this car is capable of when it finally "hooks". The top end of this car is nothing less than "controlled violence"! It never ceases to amaze me how much fun this car is. Docile yet ferocious!!!

Gary and Jason, congratulations! I have been in your car for the 106-145 MPH run on that closed track we rented! Hell, that is what sold me on Heffner power being Ridiculously Insane! That combined with Jason being one hell of a nice guy and seeing the quality of everything he does did it for me! I can't wait to get my car back! Good tires will help out tremendously.

P.S.==> To all you nitrous guys: Gary and myself challenge you all to a standing mile! Dr. Roof is looking into the possibility of setting that up as well. Let's see if the 1/4 milers have the ba!!$ to go for a mile! :D
Any predictions for the Heffner cars for the standing mile? Sorry, but until the car comes back, the smack coefficient must be higher than usual!

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary and Jason, congratulations! I have been in your car for the 106-145 MPH run on that closed track we rented! Hell, that is what sold me on Heffner power being Ridiculously Insane! That combined with Jason being one hell of a nice guy and seeing the quality of everything he does did it for me! I can't wait to get my car back! Good tires will help out tremendously.

P.S.==> To all you nitrous guys: Gary and myself challenge you all to a standing mile! Dr. Roof is looking into the possibility of setting that up as well. Let's see if the 1/4 milers have the ba!!$ to go for a mile! :D
Any predictions for the Heffner cars for the standing mile? Sorry, but until the car comes back, the smack coefficient must be higher than usual!

Thanks Paolo!! Believe me, I know Paolo has every intention of having the fastest (read highest MPH) street Viper out there. The only question I have is does anybody have the ba!!s to get in the car with you when you get it back!! You're sick, man!!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahaha, I've been trying to tell everyone what supercharging is like for the last 2-3 years. Welcome GREEN HORNS (anyone remember that saying from Grizzly Adams show?)...! :)

Gerald

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Paolo!! Believe me, I know Paolo has every intention of having the fastest (read highest MPH) street Viper out there. The only question I have is does anybody have the ba!!s to get in the car with you when you get it back!! You're sick, man!!

[/QUOTE]

Gary, we need to clarify your statements to read, Highest MPH street Viper(on a closed track of course).

Remember, driving at speeds above the speed limit on public highways other than a Silverstate Classic is dangerous and should not be tried at home if you know what I mean!

P.S. With ba!!s big enough to go those speeds, there usually is not enough room for anybody else in the car! :D

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gary, we need to clarify your statements to read, Highest MPH street Viper(on a closed track of course).

Remember, driving at speeds above the speed limit on public highways other than a Silverstate Classic is dangerous and should not be tried at home if you know what I mean!

P.S. With ba!!s big enough to go those speeds, there usually is not enough room for anybody else in the car! :D

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't dream of trying speeds above the posted speed limit on anything but a closed track!! By the way, my ba!!s are so big, I doubt if I can fit through your roll cage! hahaha!!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't dream of trying speeds above the posted speed limit on anything but a closed track!! By the way, my ba!!s are so big, I doubt if I can fit through your roll cage! hahaha!!

[/QUOTE]

Gary, you know, I never even considered this very fact would preclude you from driving my car, Oh darn, I guess I'll just have to do it myself......Such a cross to bear.....Whatever will I do??????

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> To all you nitrous guys: Gary and myself challenge you all to a standing mile!

Gary & co - much as I'm all for this competitive spirit, I implore you not to run a standing mile contest. At this horsepower level, speeds at the end of a mile long race will be in the 205-215 range. Your tires and aerodynamics are not equipped for these speeds, and accidents in street cars at >200 mph usually result in closed-coffin funerals :(

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> To all you nitrous guys: Gary and myself challenge you all to a standing mile!

Gary & co - much as I'm all for this competitive spirit, I implore you not to run a standing mile contest. At this horsepower level, speeds at the end of a mile long race will be in the 205-215 range. Your tires and aerodynamics are not equipped for these speeds, and accidents in street cars at >200 mph usually result in closed-coffin funerals :(

Treynor, I think even with 900+ RWHP, the speed by the mile mark would be somewhere around 200 MPH at best assuming a good hook up on street tires that can certainly handle that speed for the instant you would be there. Hell, Lingenfelter ran a Corvette to 226 MPH on a 32 degree banking with Michelin Pilot sports that collectively had around 5900# of load bearing aspect. The 345/35/18's & 275/40/18's collectively have 7960# of load bearing aspect ie they're significantly stronger. The Y-rated tires are rated to go 186 MPH for long periods of time. A standing mile will not have the additional load of the banking either. As far as aerodynamics would be concerned, I would agree with you about the RT/10's instability above speeds of 170. The GTS, on the other hand, is very stable at speeds of 190-215 MPH per Dave Golder who has run the Silverstate in his GTS.
Besides this is smack for those nitrous guys who would blow up their cars or melt their pistons or most likely run out of nitrous by the end of the mile.
=> If my car is done, and if Dr. Roof gets it set that we can do the standing mile legally, I will have no reservation whatsoever to go ba!!s out in the standing mile( It would make one hell of a video, No?)

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ben,

Don't you run Nitrous? Without your spray, you might find a few takers for your challenge.

Tony,

RPM is RPM, it matters not what makes the rpm happen, therefore, regardless of modification type, gearing and rev limitation will dictate who lets off the throttle and when. I can tell you from experience that a 15 lb bottle of nitrous will NOT even be close to empty after a mile run, AND the Viper performs well in 5th gear with nitrous spraying. This has been tested on Florida's Gandy Bridge on SEVERAL occasions by parties not to be named.

Just some food for thought, but I'd be more worried about what the belt will do when it flies off at 6000 rpm or the temp of my powerplant from overheating that is common among forced air cars.

HOWS THAT FOR SMACK?????

Tom

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just some food for thought, but I'd be more worried about what the belt will do when it flies off at 6000 rpm or the temp of my powerplant from overheating that is common among forced air cars.

HOWS THAT FOR SMACK?????

Tom

Pretty weak. Is that the best you can do, Tom? That old argument of yours just doesn't work.

I can tell you that after more than 200 full-power dyno pulls, more than 50 1/4 mile runs, and about 4000 street miles, I haven't even had to tighten my belt, let alone worry about it flying off.

You need to come up with some new material--kind of like an old comedian who doesn't know his stuff isn't funny anymore.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belts will need to be replaced from time to time. They last around 10,000 miles (or at least mine do) It depends on how fast your spinning the blower. I JUST replaced mine last week and tensioned it myself. Stupid me, I overtightened it ( I don't know the correct tension)and it came apart.

The trick is Tom, you have to get someome to put it in. Not just any Tuner or hired help (read into that) can correctly install a belt... :) The break in period of a belt is the most crucial state. I've got a local mechanic that installed mine in 1 hour...and like I said, being the ******* I am, I overtigthened it... :)

Until then, spray until you blow it up.. :)

Gerald

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOP GUN TOM BTR is always putting his .02 in,here's a bucks worth:There only needs to be UNLIMITED as for class racing(if your not competing for fastest viper who cares bout ya,myself included).Everyone else should be in a DOUBLE ELIMINATION BRACKET style race.Awards should be given to eventual bracket winner and fastest runs during competition to stock,power adders,ect.
You can't make people happy with all this CLASS racing,Head work,rockers,internal motor work.Most viper owners are honest,but some.....
Everyone gets to run TWICE in competition and gets the chance to win $$$ or award win a good run.
Might even be 2bucks worth.Scotty

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

Didn't know you had a belt problem..my comment was a joke towards Treynor..but I GUT HOOKED Gary..LOL. I'd be glad to help you with future belt issues should you wish to drive to Ocala. BTW, I've been trying unsuccessfully to "blow it up with nitrous" for about 5 years! Oh, well, Im not gonna stop trying!

Toof,

Are you changing the subject of this thread?? How dare you!..LOL It would be fine with me if ALL Modded Vipers ran in one big class, but to say that someone can't race against the 1000HP car of Gary because their single power adder 800 HP car has already ran a 9 second time is unfair. I don't want to drive 2000 round trip miles and not get a crack at the big talkers like Gary and Ben just because I am a sucessful(maybe just lucky) driver.

I am up for anything that falls within the boundaries of fairness and good sportsmanship. We were hoping to meet in Texas last month but that gig fell apart, we attempted to spur interest in a Florida based event which did not spark enough interest, now this upcoming event in KY sounds good but the classes are predjudiced against certain cars, and until that is corrected I can't get excited, regardless of how many eliminations there are.

Tom

Tom

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
> Ben - don't you run Nitrous? Without your spray, you might find a few takers for your challenge.

No doubt. FWIW, I don't run spray on street tires (who needs 5th gear traction problems??) but it's still pretty fast on the blower alone.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No belt problems here. :) I'm just an overtightening dummy. doooooooowww!.

Over tightening ???? Not sure about that Gerald. Did you ask Doug, is this what Doug said. On my centrifical car, I have tightened it Sooo much the tentioner bolts are bending. Also the tensioner has been welded up so there is no spring in it. ps...Did you and Vipermed ever line them up ???

I still say pile all power adders in one class and see who is standing.....and if you can't stand the heat then you can bracket race.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TOP GUN TOM BTR is always putting his .02 in,here's a bucks worth:There only needs to be UNLIMITED as for class racing(if your not competing for fastest viper who cares bout ya,myself included).Everyone else should be in a DOUBLE ELIMINATION BRACKET style race.Awards should be given to eventual bracket winner and fastest runs during competition to stock,power adders,ect.
You can't make people happy with all this CLASS racing,Head work,rockers,internal motor work.Most viper owners are honest,but some.....
Everyone gets to run TWICE in competition and gets the chance to win $$$ or award win a good run.
Might even be 2bucks worth.Scotty

I actually know Scotty and I still have no idea what the **** he is saying. :D

OP
OP
G

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald,

Didn't know you had a belt problem..my comment was a joke towards Treynor..but I GUT HOOKED Gary..LOL. Tom

Gut hooked? Keep tryin' Tom, I'll let you know when you get close. Besides, us uppity S/C guys have to stick together.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,
Looks like you are in the multi power adder class. Good luck.
Tom

Hey Tom, Hopefully BTR plus Roe = fast times :) I do need to give you a call. But as to the multi power adder class I think I will run the single power adder with my Roe s/c and new "intercooler" after all, the other s/c cars have (huge)intercoolers and HIGH boost so it sounds fair to me.

I also agree about the one power adder class...previous times shouldn't mean anything.

Also curious as to what class does direct port n02 fit in ? Looks like mod 3. I have not figured out if that is what it means or not.

Mod 2: (power Adder 1)
All goes with exception of only one power adder is allowed. Slicks Allowed (No Previous 9 second car's allowed in this class)

Mod 3: (Power Adder 2)or (Proven 9 second Cars)
Blower/NOS Dual Stage NOS or Direct Port Turbo/NOS

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toof,

Are you changing the subject of this thread?? How dare you!..LOL It would be fine with me if ALL Modded Vipers ran in one big class, but to say that someone can't race against the 1000HP car of Gary because their single power adder 800 HP car has already ran a 9 second time is unfair. I don't want to drive 2000 round trip miles and not get a crack at the big talkers like Gary and Ben just because I am a sucessful(maybe just lucky) driver.

[/QUOTE]

Tom, I agree that it should not matter what the power adders are. I think unlimited should be unlimited.

I have a question though, can a nitrous car run ba11s out for a mile without melting the pistons? I have to admit my lack of nitrous knowledge. I was under the understanding that you can only run the nitrous for 14 seconds or less. For how many seconds can you run a big shot like that?

If my car is ready, I will personally be running my car in the unlimited class, I do not care how I end up as long as I go really F*@#^*g fast!

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo,

Your question is a common mis-conception about nitrous. Like any other forced air modification, nitrous can accelerate the engine as high in rpm's as the engine can make power and nitrous can continue flowing without interruption as long as the proper air/fuel ratio is present.

Most drag cars take 13 or less seconds to navigate the 1/4 mile so nitrous most commonly is set up with the rpm band and gearing of most typical drag race style cars which has lead to your common misconception. The more exotic cars like Vipers, Acura NSX, Porsche, and others have significantly different gearing and can remain in the optimum rpm band of the powerplant far longer, hence allowing nitrous to continue to make power until the same point as any other modification--fuel cut-off.

Nitrous was first used in WWII by the German air corps in their fighter aircraft. Sustained use was common as required for their aircraft to climb to high altitudes for bomber intercept and to escape faster allied fighters.

One other note, we use about 250 hp jetting in my own Viper and the car uses about 1.2 pounds of nitrous per 1/4 mile pass. This equals 4.8 pounds of nitrous used per mile of activation...and I actually believe this number to be lower as the flow rate stays the same even while the vehicle continues to exponentially accelerate. In any event, there is plenty of nitrous to go around when you consider that our kits come with a 15lb bottle.

I hope this information helps.

Tom

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, if that is the case, and Dr. Roof get the legal green light for the standing mile, are you in? I will be running on street tires if we get the chance.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will consider the mile race, but it will have to be a LEGAL event with safety crews on hand..etc. but.......

At present, we are not participating in this upcoming drag race event which would preclude us from the mile event that you and Ben are having.(I'm not interested in driving 1500 miles to race a mile) We are still waiting to see the final edition of the class breakdown.

Tom

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo

Still working on the standing Mile.

TOM

Updated set of classes will be posted after this weekend. I am on my way to houston to Race.

My intentions are to have a fair event. This is what will happen.

How about that sponsorship! I just need a few more sponsors and this can become a discounted or possible free event???

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just thought I would chime in here. Not that I know anything about anything, but in my incredibly limited experience with nitrous (20+ kits installed)I have noticed one of the limiting factors of the power adder is the fact that the bottle tends to get real cold real quick when in use, especially with a large shot (anything over150hp). Even with a bottle heater activated the pressure starts to drop pretty quickly after the 1/4 mile (like I said in my PERSONAL experiences) not from a lack of N20 but from a drop in temp. since things get cold when they are decompressed. My point is I think in something like the standing mile the nitrous guys will have their work cut out for them. N2O has been fun but it may be time to switch over to the dark side of the boost!! :eek: Besides with my little 150 shot I have done well clicking off a 7.1 @ 102 mph through the 1/8th on p-zeros. Has anyone else gone that fast on hard tires? Just wondering. By the way thanks to Gary A and Jason H for all the great info. Talk to you guys soon.
Gary Javo