Heffner 1000SCi Track Results--Timeslip!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(I'm not interested in driving 1500 miles to race a mile)
Tom

[/QUOTE]

But you are willing to drive that far to race a 1/4 mile??????? To quote Ferris Bueller's day off, " A man priorities so far out of whack does not deserve such a fine automobile!" ==> Hey Tom, at least you will get four times your money's worth!: Maybe more depending upon how much you enjoy keeping the pedal to the metal after the 1/4! :D

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, I see how it is :)

Paolo Castellano
Viper Owner

Reged: 11/01/00
Loc: Elburn, Il, USA
Gentlemen, now get the transmission ratios Dodge SHOULD have put into the Viper!
#5818 - 03/27/02 09:25 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Hello, anybody here want to be able to use 6th gear to go fast instead of just for gas mileage? There is a guy who builds race transmissions for the Corvette racing teams who is a master rebuilder for Tremec that has come up with a way to put a .80 ratio for 5th and a .62 for 6th instead of a .74 5th and a .5 6th. In stock 5th gear the Viper would top out at 205 MPH @6200 RPM. The stock Viper .5 6th gear is way too low of a torque multiplier to go as fast as the car can go in 5th. With a stock 3.07 rear end gear, and a .8 5th, @6000 RPM you would be going 185 MPH, (Good for Just about any road course, I believe), --> Now you shift into 6th and will be at around 4600 RPM( Turbo and Supercharger cars will shine here!) By 6000 RPM you will be going 238 MPH! (Assuming you have the power to push the car that fast!) Erik Messley went 227 MPH with 650 Hp Caldwell Motor @ 7400 or so RPM. Also Road race guys, check this out, put a 3.73 gear in the rear end, and now you have effectively added another usable gear to the car which can still go 203 MPH @ 6200 RPM. The 3.73 rear end gear combined with .62 6th is almost identical to the stock 5th gear with a 3.07. If a 4-speed is faster than a 3-speed, then, a true USABLE 6-speed will be much faster than the usable really only 5-speed in everyone's Viper! He is currently building NEW t-56 that has a custom main shaft( With additional oiling journals) and cluster shaft that allows the retention of the stock 1st-4th Gears while allowing the .8 5th and the .62 6th gear sets from some of the mustang and camaro t-56 trannies that have gear ratios similar to those on the Z-o6, 1st 2.97,2nd 2.02,3rd 1.43, 4th 1.00, 5th .80, 6th .62. Before this, you could not interchange the 5th and 6th gears because of the cluster shafts 1st gear ratio determining what 5th and 6th ratios you actually get.-> the .8 and .62 got underdriven beacuse the 2.66 on the cluster shaft would spin 5th and 6th faster than the 2.97 1st would. Anyway, he has rectified the problem by making custom shafts that accomodate 2.66 1st, 1.78 2nd 1.30 3rd, 1.00 4th, .8 5th and .62 6th. If anybody wants to go to http://orbitdevelopment.com/vipergears/gears.asp , you can play around and see that this is what Dodge should have done. $3,000.00 and your old trans as a core exchange will get you a NEW t-56 transmission with the ultimate gear ratios, a main shaft with additional oiling journals, carbon rings, cast iron shift forks, and a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. To inquire additional information, you can email George @ [email protected]. The o in zo6 is the letter o, not a zero.
IMO 1. for road race guys this is huge for adding an additional gear( allowing a numerically higher gear ratio in the rear end for a higher percentage of time spent in the torque peak). 2. for HIGH HP freaks, they can go 238MPH in .62 6th with the STOCK 3.07(With the proper amount of HP, of course). 3. Guys with a stock car can now put in a 3.55 or 3.73 gear, have phenomenal torque multiplication without sacrificing top end speed! This is the Bomb! Paolo

--------------------
1996 GTS being supercharged by Heffner's Performance!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, How could you let the cat out of the bag????????? That was my secret weapon! :D Now Jason Heffner will have to reach into his bag of tricks to strike more fear into the hearts of the competition!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hehe.....I was reserching a gear or tire change and did a search on gear ratios and yours was the only post that came up. Did you actually get this tranny ?

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hehe.....I was reserching a gear or tire change and did a search on gear ratios and yours was the only post that came up. Did you actually get this tranny ?

Tony, its funny you ask this question at this time as it has just been rebuilt with the new custom gears and shafts. It will be shipped out early next week in plenty of time to go into my car. Like I said in my long-winded post over a year ago, these are the ratios to go with to have a usable 6th gear.

I did not opt for the ratio change earlier as I really did not have the power to really go any faster. Now, with the Heffner power and having a diesel truck and a trailer suitable for transport to the Silverstate race/etc... I got the ratios.

I think that anybody with a stock car who wants to be the baddest around without doing much to the car should go with a 3.73 rear end and this trans..... 21% more HP and TQ multiplication throughout the normal range of acceleration WITHOUT LOSING THE TOP SPEED capabilities of a stock car. It used to be said the 3.73 was too much of a handful to hook up with on the street; but with the advent of all these high HP supercharged beasts, I would challenge the earlier mode of thought regarding the 3.73's. Take a car with headers and no cats + K&N's making 450 RWHP. 3.73/3.07 = 1.215 = 21.5% more HP and TQ multiplication. 450 X 1.215 = 546 RWHP mult. and 500RWLBS/FT X 1.215 = 607.5 RWLBS/FT mult. I know that the gears will be shorter and that as you shift to the next gear you will, compared to the stock car(until it shifts) have a lesser multiplication factor. But I would venture to guess that this combo would give the most awesome seat of the pants feel for the buck especially on a stock car with stock exhaust......I would be curious to see what a 450 RWHP Viper with the 3.73 and this trans would feel like compared to a Supercharged Viper with 550 RWHP/ 600 RWLBS/FT.....

For road racing on high speed tracks, the 3.73 + diff cooler + this trans would be fantastic for the guys that can actually have the skills to shift through the gears and heel and toe downshift on the road course.(Lots of Viper Club guys just rely on the torque of 3rd gear to carry them around Gingerman raceway)

Anyway, when I get the trans in the car, I will definitely let you know how I like it. One side note here is that when I originally was buying my trans from George @ Rockland Standard Gear, I had asked if the .8 and .62 could go into the Viper tranny. The books said it could be done. I wanted those gears for sure, but when he went to put everything together, he realized he had to make a bunch of custom parts and gears. RSG and George have all the resources to make the necessary parts of the quality requisite for racing. It makes a lot of sense to have a better splits and a usable 6th gear. I can't wait to try it out.