Help...Back-up lights don't work

Shags

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking for some help. I went to get my '03 SRT the required a safety inspection after shipping it to Hawaii and it failed because the reverse/back-up lights didn't work! :( I looked at the obvious things like fuses and found no problems. I have had the car since 2004 and have never noticed a problem with the lights before, but the car has been in storage for the last 1.5 years as I was stationed overseas. The original owner had installed an after market stereo with a back-up camera--expect it was wired into the reverse sensor as it activates when the car is put in reverse. I removed the back-up camera some time ago as it just looked funny pointing out the back and I never used it. I capped the wires off at a connection near the trunk and this still appears to have no short possibility at that location.

I have also noticed my fan motor turns off when I go into reverse now. It remains off even when I shift back to first. I have to turn the ignition off then back on to get the fan motor running. So I assume I have a short of some kind and have tried to isolate it by turning the radio off, fan motor off, etc but have not been able to get the lights on or stop the fan from shutting off.

Any ideas on how to isolate the problem/short or any insight into how the reverse sensor triggers the lights and how this could be related to the fan motor? Appreciate any help...after having the car in storage for so long I really want to get the car back on the road!:drive:

Thanks,

Shags

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the back-up lamp light switch on the Tremec fail. Replaced under warranty.
It's on the driver's side of the transmission, about the half-way mark.

Start there, and work your way back toward the engine bay.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most common problem with ALL Viper back-up lights is the switch but with all the other junk wired into your Viper, not sure. Kevan is right, start at the B/U switch and work your way back.

Back-up light switch #4626593 MSRP $30.05
Less 20%, in stock.
914-763-3136

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shags

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Help...Back-up lights don't work...Fixed thanks to the Wizard!

Thanks to all...turns out it was the reverse switch. Special thanks to Chuck "Viper Wizard" Tator for the part, quick ship, and technical expertise! I put the part in with no problems and passed my safety inspection although I did have to call my wife to drop off the front liscense plate holder I had previously ordered from Jon B before they would give me my sticker!

The forum and guys like Chuck and Jon B are a large part of why I enjoy the experience of owning a Viper. Thanks guys!

Shags

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks to all...turns out it was the reverse switch. Special thanks to Chuck "Viper Wizard" Tator for the part, quick ship, and technical expertise! I put the part in with no problems and passed my safety inspection although I did have to call my wife to drop off the front liscense plate holder I had previously ordered from Jon B before they would give me my sticker!

The forum and guys like Chuck and Jon B are a large part of why I enjoy the experience of owning a Viper. Thanks guys!

Shags
Hey Shags, glad you got it fixed. You should cruise with a couple of us out here in Hawaii. The more the better.

OP
OP
S

Shags

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Ready to go...are you going out next Sat down by the pier? Also, what did you end up doing for your sub woofer?

Shags

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shags. Glad that you got it fixed okay. I too had the same issue when my car first arrived here.

Anyhow, as far as I know, yes we are still planning to head down to the pier this coming Saturday the 10th. Thinking of meeting up somewhere before we head down though.

Give us a call before Saturday.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ready to go...are you going out next Sat down by the pier? Also, what did you end up doing for your sub woofer?

Shags
I got a kicker 6.5 sub that is here but just waiting to install it when I get the time which there never seems to be enough of :( Anyway yeah we are going to head down to the Pier like XLR8SN said. Give him or myself a call and we will meet up before we head down there. I will PM you my number.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shags
Cool update, Shags!
Glad I could help.