Help help help...crisis

viperbrouwer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys.....here's the CRISIS I have.....took in my 95 RT/10 to the dealer as I noticed an oil leak on the garage floor......the only leak I ever had prior to this, was when the original head gaskets started going 3 years ago. At that time I replaced both head gaskets at a cost of $4K. The same dealer now says the new leak is coming from the BLOCK and not from the head area! When i asked them where it could be leaking from the block, they indicated they thought it was a crack / breach in the block. I have never heard of this happening unless the engine had been frozen - which it hasn't. Instead of fighting with them about the cost of a sloppy head gasket repair, I now find them quoting me $9,000 for replacing the block PLUS the cost to rebuild the engine!!.....Anyone have some feedback on the prognosis??? ....I'm depressed....
rick

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These types of problems really stink.

I would stick with a trustworthy vendor from this site. If this is true I would consider looking for a used engine.

I remmember seeing a new crate engine for sale for about $8,500.

I think $4,000 for new head gaskets is questionable.
$4,000 dollars makes me question the reliability of the dealer unless there is more to the story.
What part of the country are you in?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator. My guess is it is coming from the front timing cover or oil pan. You need to clean the block off really good and track where the leak is coming from. I highly doubt it is coming from a crack in the casing of the block, but if it is, they can be welded. Don't stress too much on it.

scoobie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator at 914-763-3136. My guess is it is coming from the front timing cover or oil pan. You need to clean the block off really good and track where the leak is coming from. I highly doubt it is coming from a crack in the casing of the block, but if it is, they can be welded. Don't stress too much on it.

I agree, i'll bet it's not a cracked block, but a cracked dealer.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a $3k quote for O2 sensors, muffler, spark plugs... screw stealerships.

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think thats a crackpot diagnosis. I'd take it to a different shop. there's 3 or 4 other dealers in the city, although i can't say i recommend any of them because ive never dealt with them on that side of it.

Maybe some of the other local guys can chime in a recommend someplace to take it, Fireball, crompton, hssssss, what do you think?

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator at 914-763-3136. My guess is it is coming from the front timing cover or oil pan. You need to clean the block off really good and track where the leak is coming from. I highly doubt it is coming from a crack in the casing of the block, but if it is, they can be welded. Don't stress too much on it.

+1
Chuck & Rob, the two best in the business!!!!!

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
V

viperbrouwer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a shop in Alberta, Canada? BY the way ....they claim to be doing a "pressure" test on the block this weekend to locate the breach in the block........

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is it is coming from the front timing cover or oil pan. You need to clean the block off really good and track where the leak is coming from. I highly doubt it is coming from a crack in the casing of the block, but if it is, they can be welded. Don't stress too much on it.

+1 I've seen this issue before and it was the timing chain cover

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At a minimum, have them put it in the air and show you exactly what visible indications are there to support their diagnosis.

Even if you haven't seen it before, you can tell the diff between a leak at the timing cover/block interface and a big old crack in the side of the block (which would be pretty uncommon methinks). If they're unwilling to show you EXACTLY what they're finding, get the car out of there IMMEDIATELY and send it to someone reputable.

Better yet, take a camera with you (preferably HD) and take pix...post 'em in this thread and people will be better able to help you with opinions on what's wrong and ideas for remedy.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like be to me.$4000 for head gaskets is crazy high! New gaskets, bolts and fluids would be around $1,000. I would think labor would be 8 hours max. Find a new dealer. Wish I was closer.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of good advice so far, so time for some questionable advice. :cool:

Even if what the dealer says is true, which I doubt, I'd be willing to try a lot of things first such as a little welding, or heck, just living with a leak if is was small enough. 9k + labor buys a lot of oil and JBWeld :D

They are basically quoting you a new engine so you don't have much to lose.

:smirk:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of good advice so far, so time for some questionable advice. :cool:

Even if what the dealer says is true, which I doubt, I'd be willing to try a lot of things first such as a little welding, or heck, just living with a leak if is was small enough. 9k + labor buys a lot of oil and JBWeld :D

They are basically quoting you a new engine so you don't have much to lose.

:smirk:

+1.... I would definitly try to live with the oil drip while checking the level before and after every drive before spending the money on a new block. $9k could go to the purchase of a second whole Gen I Viper and then you could have 2 or sell the first one. I hope for your sake that it is a timing chain cover or other minor leak. Call Tator or other site sponsors before spending another dime.

V

Venomiss

Contact Jim Tait the Western Canada VCA president for his advice

Phone: 250-452-9311

The other person who is from Calgary would be Asp Man here on the boards. Send him a PM.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1; go get your car. They are simply racking up the labour while you stress about the quote. "doing a pressure test", that's for sure, only the pressure is on you! Couresty did do/re-do the frame braces on mine, it ended up costing them the price of a new PDC, about $1800 I believe. Ask me about it some time.
It's highly unlikely, as those above have mentioned, that there is "an oil leak in the block", it's the timing cover or rear seal, or oil pan gasket. You'd leak coolant long before oil if the block was cracked, IMHO.
I can't suggest any other dealer in Calgary, they're all about the same as far as Viper experience goes. Shipping to Tators is not an easy solution, though the result is bound to be positive, no doubt.
Try getting in at Davenport, they are up by Varsity (which, other than the parts dept., should also be off your list) 274-7271, ask to speak with Steve. Probably best just to stop by there when he's in.

When this is over, you may want to consider joining the Western Canada Region of the VCA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

viperbrouwer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the valuable input .....I am meeting with Big 4 (the dealer) on monday where they will try to explain themselves.....will give you an update later on Monday.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Clean the oil off and add some leak dye. Common leaks are the oil sending unit, oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets.

GTRDIABLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go see Steve at Davenport. Don't trust any Dodge dealeership to touch my car anymore. Had my RT towed to local dealer after it blew oil and antifreeze out the intakes. It killed the istantly.So towed it in there on a flat so they could pull the head off and see what was wrong. They had all the info I just told you and they fired the car up and drove it in. So now I have Hennesey motor with a very large whole in it and very badly damaged head. Thank Dodge that was GREAT! They quoted me 16000 for a long block. Plus install.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have ever brought it there. I ended up trading it in on Camaro and then supercharging the Camaro. Then trading it in on a GTS. But I have talked to Steve quite few times a very stand up guy. He won't screw you around.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the valuable input .....I am meeting with Big 4 (the dealer) on monday where they will try to explain themselves.....will give you an update later on Monday.

Did they let you look/take pix?

OP
OP
V

viperbrouwer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
met the dealer today and they still cannot pinpoint the leak source.....they think nowthat they need heat in the block so are puting the head back on looking to atart up in the next few days (they were short a head bolt). I hope to have more info then. Based on the posts....still seems likely to be head gasket, timing chain cover leak, or oil pan leak. I hope to have someone from the local viper club (RACR77) look at it with me when they re-start the engine. this is bizarre...

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Putting the head back on...?" Oh boy. I think you omitted a few key things that have taken place thus far. So I take it they are elbows deep into the motor already?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth