HELP !! How do I remove stock Shorty headers ?? !!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I have a complete B&B exhuast system coming, and I have already removed all of the stock cat's and cat back. My only problem is the shortly stock headers (2002 ACR). I want to remove the heat shields without damaging them, and also get the headers out. Which way are the heat shields removed, by pulling up, or pulling them down (from the bottom of car) ??

Next question, is for the headers, same thing ?? Pull them down from the car, and what about the STARTER ?? Does it have to be removed to get the driver side header down. IF so, so you have to disconnect the wires to it, to bring it down out of the way ??

Thank you for your help.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You REALLY CANT BE THAT MUCH OF A DIP-$HIT. I am asking for help, and that's your answer ?? Get a clue.

Someone who knows how to read a post, and reply with VALUABLE information, please do. Thank you.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yikes there fella, take it easy now!

I'm attacking an end to end exhaust swap myself over the winter up here in the snow squalls, and was wondering the same thing.

I recall discussion on the starter not having to be removed, a few of the bolts being a real pain to get to, anyone chime in?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have trouble taking it easy when someone acts like an idiot.
pissed.gif
Anyway, I actually accomplished it successfully on my own last night, however, the B&B sales guy actually sent me an email this morning telling me step by step how to take out my old exhaust AND how to put in the new one. So I can email it to you, if you send me a private message. I'd post it, except, I didn't ask him if I could.
rolleyes.gif

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished putting B&B's on my car, the stock heat sheilds
will fit on but the drivers side shield needs to be modified a little to fit over the very front on that side.

Velox

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put Belangers on, and read up extensively before removing the stock system. You should disconnect the battery before starting your project, as the starter positive terminal is right under the work area and even a wrench falling on it can give you a direct short. The starter does not have to be removed. The passenger side is easiest, and the heat shield lifts right out the top after the heater air intake, fan and antifreeze tank are removed. Plugs, plug shields, plug wire supports and valve cover bolts for the wire supports need to come off. The headers to right angle pipe fitting is a single round clamp, and only a single frame support is on the front pipe section. The top header bolts are readily reached on this side, with the bottom bolts easiest from under the car (which needs to be up on stands or a lift). A small 11mm box end wrench got even the hard to reach ones from underneath. The header lifts up and out, watch out for the valve cover, easily chipped
rolleyes.gif
and scraped. Save the gasket, who knows? The aluminum head is easily scratched, go easy cleaning any gasket material off. The driver's side is a bit harder due to the brake system and starter proximity. Again, remove all the wires, plugs, plug shields and supports. This heat shield (for me) didn't lift out easily, but came out from the top after the manifold was completely unbolted and with some careful bending of the heat shield (it wraps around behind the manifold somewhat on this side but doesn't on the passenger side). Top bolts almost all were reachable with a short socket and extension except near the firewall where again the short 11mm box end worked. Most of the lower bolts were removed from under the car.
If you take your time, you'll find it is straight forward and fun. I had read the stock plug shields are questionable with headers, so I bought some Viper Socks from PartsRack. It's recommended to use thread lube on the install throughout. Sorry so long, email if I can offer any further help. I now have Belangers, high flow cats and Corsa 3" catback - the sound is (finally) awesome.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipr GTS and Velox,

Thanks for VALUABLE replies. Again, I have already completed the install, but since folks keep sending me PM's asking for the instructions, I appeciate you posting yours.

Also, for those interested. I believe VERY seriously, in fully documenting changes by way of the DYNO. So this morning I ran to my local dyno, which has my STOCK numbers, and then we ran the NEW numbers with this COMPLETE B&B system.

So I had a COMPLETELY stock ACR 2002, that dyno'ed at 410.4 HP and 450.4 TQ on 11/26/2002, then today after installing my ONLY upgrade: the B&B Headers 1-3/4, Hi Flow cats, and 3 inch exhuast system with CROSS OVER pipe in the back (meaning no secondary muffler), my NEW numbers are 434.7 HP and 476.2 TQ on 12/21/2002.

That is a 24.3hp increase and a 25.8 tq increase.

Hope this helps people making decisions.

-Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, BTW, I am sure we ALL know, that I am talking about SAE corrected numbers, I dont believe in that BS of sending out UNCORRECTED numbers to INFLATE readings.

ALSO, FYI, I cant hardly believe it myself, BUT, the newest B&B complete exhaust system makes my viper sound "RICER BURNER" like. I dont know how the heck you make a 488 sound like a crapper 4 ****** with a "pipe" on it, but it has that "tone" during MID RPM FULL throttle. Not the "note/tone" I would have picked but, heck it got me 25 solid hp/TQ... so I'll live with it.

-Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellow Modders,

I ALSO have in my possession a set of T&D's. Those are going on the car the FIRST of the week, and ONCE AGAIN, back to the Dyno. You guys have to love all this ACTUAL power gain break down for EACH part added. I did this intentionally, so that we could ALL get REAL numbers for EACH upgrade. I will NEVER do multiple upgrades at ONCE, becasue I want to dyno EACH and Every upgrade so I know how much that ONE upgrade got me. Costs a little more, but nothing wrong with good documentation and knowledge.

-Jon

PS. to my Canadian friend, I updated my sig, BUT I will have to do it again on MONDAY after T&D's and DYNO !!

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoops, had to fix my sig a little more, after updating it, it STILL said "stock for now.."

Anyway, anyone want to kick down $ome Dyno pull payment$, I'm going broke here :)

Viper, quickest way to the poor house. hehehe.. kidding..

-Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont lie, you are just mad cuz I got 'em for $802 delivered to my door !! and your TOO SLOW on ebay, or too CHEAP, to put a REAL bid in !! hahaha...

BTW, I emailed you at work John, but I figured your not going to be at work at all the next few days, can you call me when you get a chance !! Need to help a fellow viper brother get a diff.

-Jon

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR:
I did this intentionally, so that we could ALL get REAL numbers for EACH upgrade. I will NEVER do multiple upgrades at ONCE, becasue I want to dyno EACH and Every upgrade so I know how much that ONE upgrade got me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't this actually 3 mods at one time.

1- Header swap
2- Hi flow cats
3- Muffler delete

My guess is ay least 80% or more of your gains came from #'s 2 and 3. I have seen numerous cars have 20 plus hp gains with the muffler delete and hi flow cats. I was one of them. Enjoy the new hp and Happy Holidays.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

I am waiting for the Dyno results of the T&D's. Let us know about the installation. Is there anything you had to do to the head to get them to work?

I just looked at a 94 that they were installing T&D's. Setting on the perch, the pushrods were too short. Looks like the perch will need to be machined to keep the relationship correct.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, I figured an "exhaust system" was one mod, because its a COMPLETE exhuast system from b&b. I dont believe in doing half steps, becasue thats what it would be if I just did headers, or just did high flow cats, etc. If your serious about your exhaust then it REALLY should be an all or nothing deal in MY book. And its only my book that I am going by, please feel free to post your "mod" ways. Dont take that as an attack, I totally agree with your idea, maybe in your book they are separate mods, and so you are free to mod in that fashion. In my book, its just a COMPLETE mod.

Answer to the T&D, I have already done some research on that too, and was planning on doing the install in the next few days (monday and today have been just too busy), but the problem is they have THE WRONG PUSHRODS, yes if they want to keep STOCK rods, then they HAVE to machine the heads.. BUT if they want to keep the geometry correct and not machine the heads, then they just need LONGER push rods. I have those pushrods.

-Jon

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough to the previous post. Hope everything works out well.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious how much that entire B&B system costs...and what future mods are planned for your ACR? (S/C? N20?)

Keep the posts coming...very educational for fellow creampuffs!

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
T&D 's installed last night. I had a viper tech come over last night, and install my T&D's, so its officially DONE now. BUT I have not gone to the dyno yet to get those numbers, hoping to do it today !!

BTW, A FRIEND LOANED me the mopar computer, and I want to see what It does/doesn't do for performance/dyno numbers, BUT right now its acting nutty. It is "learning" so I am being told, but my viper tech is going to clear it, and make it start from scratch, because the computer was on another car, and this learning crap is confusing it I think.

I'm going to TRY to dyno both today, t&D's and mopar performance computer !! I'll submit the numbers hopefully later tonight.

-Jon