Help - Locked in car

1BADBITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 2000 R/T, the driver door will not open from inside but will still open using outside latch and passenger door is fine. The indicator lights are signaling properly.Any thoughts ?? :(

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Badbite, can you still open the door from the inside with the "emergency latch" on the complete rear right of the door?

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly does the Emergency latch do?
Does it actually just open the door? I was thinking that the black piece on the door (where the door open button is on the Gen 2s) just came off so you could pull the driver or passenger out of the inside. Thanks for enlightening me.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that once happen.It was the alarm acting up.Only one time, scared the crap out of me since I never knew I had an emergency latch.

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I kinda stumbled onto it. I have only had the Viper for 2 days so I was screwing around with it this morning at 6:00 a.m. (yes I am suffering from sleep deprivation) and as I was sitting in the car I locked the door with the little button beside the latch; not knowing what I did, I then pulled on the handle to get out. And the alarm was set off. It was rather loud in my garage. And the keys were inside. I am 6 foot 2 inches and 240 lbs, so I wasn't going to pull a "Luke Duke" through the side window, so I noticed this little handle that says "PULL FOR EMERGENCY EXIT"...gotcha. And it opened. I turned off the alarm with the key.

From what I can tell with all reservation is that the front handle is power actuated, and the rear one is not. Your actuator must be working if it opens from the outside...maybe it is just a contact on the inside panel? Just thinking outloud. I would like to know myself for future reference. Anyone?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The emergency latch is just a manual door opener. In all normal cars the door handle is attached to the locking latch via cables. When you pull the emergency handle it pulls on the cables and unlocks the latch. The non-emergency handles on the inside and outside of the car are electronic which means they trigger a switch, which electronically unlatches the door. The problem with this is when the battery dies so does your electronic door handle.

Now if someone could tell me what that rocker switch under the door handle is that would be great. I know it has a light on it that goes out when I rock it… But what is it doing?

OP
OP

1BADBITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have been more discreet - yes I can still use the emergency handle, but I was searching more for the 'root cause and cure'of malfunctioning
inner door handle.
The rocker switch is your manual lock - light on means lock off - as in 'caution - may open' inverse - light off - lock is on - safe

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now if someone could tell me what that rocker switch under the door handle is that would be great. I know it has a light on it that goes out when I rock it… But what is it doing?

The rocker switch locks and unlocks the electric latches (not the manual pull). The light being on/off corresponds to unlock/lock (I might have gotten that reversed... it might be lock/unlock).

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One possibility is that you have a broken wire in the harness. If you open the
door and look at the front of the door you will see a rubber tube that runs from
the door to the body of the car, that rubber tube carries all of the wiring for the windows, mirror, door latches (outside and inside ) and the speakers. When the door is open and closed the rubber tube flex's alot and the wire can get broke there.

You should get a service manual for the schematic and you can troubleshoot the
electrical issues much easier. :smirk:

OP
OP

1BADBITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help - Locked in car - Follow-up

Finally got to the dealer since car was under warranty anyway to examine why Driver door will not open from inside - Yes - Dixter was right - after 8k miles wire harness had severed. Replaced under warranty, the mechanic said new harness looked identical to failed harness,so I wonder how long this will last?? Another 2000 Viper owner I recently met went thru same ordeal as well
Thanks to all you reponded !

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help - Locked in car - Follow-up

Hmmmmm, where is Herb Helbig when we need him, all these fancy electronic geegaws, I mean side windows were nice, but little rocker switches where? I'm going to the garage to find this little rocker switch, it's only been 3 years, I mean do I hafta' READ the manual on this car Herb? Anyone who knows Herb or his mission at PVO is surely enjoying this thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi