Help on masking and painting Sneaky Peter in Black on Yellow Valve Covers?

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just powder coated the valve covers and intake manifold in Yellow to match my 2002 RT and looks great. I read the post on sanding and polishing and that will work great to roughen up the powder coat and prep it to paint.
But what I’m wondering is, to try and mask the Viper logos on the valve covers so that I can paint the logos and Sneaky Pete in black is not going to be easy. Should I try and find someone with a steady hand and brush the black on or?????????????????????
Any suggestions? I see most everyone are just doing the polishing thing but the Black High Lighting will look good.
Thanks
Tim

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just powder coated the valve covers and intake manifold in Yellow to match my 2002 RT and looks great. I read the post on sanding and polishing and that will work great to roughen up the powder coat and prep it to paint.
But what I’m wondering is, to try and mask the Viper logos on the valve covers so that I can paint the logos and Sneaky Pete in black is not going to be easy. Should I try and find someone with a steady hand and brush the black on or?????????????????????
Any suggestions? I see most everyone are just doing the polishing thing but the Black High Lighting will look good.
Thanks
Tim

i taped mine off and it looks great. you will need and x-acto knife, tape, time, and alot of patience, but you can do it.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about laying in some vasoline, putty or there is this stuff called Liquid Mask? Anybody tried this stuff?

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used painters blue tape and an exacto knife. I used a model paint brush to apply the paint. Remember to use very high temp paint. I did mine in gloss silver (POR is the brand). A powder coating shop will usually have a good selection of very high temp paints.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about laying in some vasoline, putty or there is this stuff called Liquid Mask? Anybody tried this stuff?

you could, but you will still need an x-acto knife and would still need to cut it all out wouldnt you? not sure how clean you lines are going to be with vasoline.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about fill in with silicone, paint it, once the paint is dry pull the silicone out?

I may want to put some Pam or somthing on first to allow the silicone to clean out easy.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not easy after it's powder coated. The edges get a little rounded from the thickness of the powder coat. You have to make sure your masking tape edges are stuck down or you'll get bleeding under the tape. If I was to do it over again I think I may just paint it over the stock powder coat.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I see the tape is lifting. Will make sure it is stuck before spraying. Thanks

D

DAMN YANKEE

Tape is usually a problem, but the new "frog" masking tape is the answer...try Home Depote...seriously, its called frog tape.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960