Phyxius

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*Sorry in advance for any ignorance or stupid questions.*

I recently inherited my dads ‘04 SRT-10. I went to take it out of storage the other day and found out it’s been sitting, essentially untouched, for about 15 months. (Viper budget was reallocated for medical expenses.)

Anyway, I have very little knowledge of the Viper powertrain and I want to make sure I don’t do any damage attempting to get it running again. I know prior to going into storage it had been maintained religiously and meticulously.

With it having been sitting for so long I’m thinking I need to make sure gaskets and seals haven’t dried out. Probably flush and change all the fluids. Beyond that I’m clueless.

Have any of you delt with anything like this? Is there any chance there’s already been damage done from sitting? If so, is it something that can be repaired? Do I need to flush the fuel or have it checked?

I’m assuming I’ve barely scratched the surface; what else do I need to look for or be cautious of?

Any and all advice, recommendations, suggestions are welcomed.

lisekplx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you’re over analyzing this , it’s 15 months not 15 years . Charge the battery and crank it up. Gas doesn’t go bad that quick . If it’s been cared for like you stated, then it should start no problem.

OP
OP
P

Phyxius

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s a relief. Figured it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Appreciate the response.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gasoline degrades in just a month or two sitting in the tank. The combustibility is affected, and it can gum up injectors. That being said after 15 months it should still burn, but may cause a CEL to come on or performance issues. I would probably drain it. OTOH a can of Barryman’s B12 added to the old gasoline can clean up the fuel system.

lisekplx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was deployed for over a year and it fired right up on old gas, no codes or sputtering. I had over half tank and ran it that way. I sent my injectors for sonic cleaning just in case old gas might have affected them, results showed they were flowing optimum prior and after cleaning .

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. 15 months isn’t bad. Change oil at least, but that’s not even necessary and top off with fresh gas. Run it and keep topping it off. Sorry for your loss. Get her back on the road like your dad would have wanted. Welcome to the family.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would add a small container of Techron (the size that treats 14 gallons)to the gas tank at the time you fill it.