Hi Flo Cats

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a set of Random Flo Cats purchased a few years ago along with a 3" Corsa cat back on my '99 GTS. Smells like I might have blown out or otherwise failed one or both of the cats. Besides that, the car is louder than ever, which I really don't mind, but the smell is raunchy! Can't find my receipts for the purchase and both Random Tech and the distributor I used to purchase them, have supposedly upgraded their computer systems, so no history is available. Should be under warranty, I would think, but "no tickey, no laundry." OK, now I need some advice. Random Tech still has the best name out there, from what I can see, so is there an advantage of the standard hi-flo's over the metal substrates? Which are better for the weekend driver who occasionally gets into a street race? Any advice would be appreciated.....thanks!

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well here is the deal you have contaminated your cats and i have vever been able to clean them out with any type of service recomended by factory or after market repair.you need to make sure your fuel system is operating to spec or you may be pullig air in some were before your o2 scensers causing the sysem to run a tad rich.also consider your fuel brand could be the cause.their are many variables.what ever the case you need to replace your cats to get rid of the smell,bottom line ... do nothing ontill you locate the fault in the fuel system because you will most likly ruin your new cats.call me and i can exspain more..

mark at viper speed

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon B from Partsrack posted the flows of both here a while back, he might chime in on the specs, but I believe he recommends the metal subs for cars with MORE than tubes filters and a cat-back (poweradders or heads cam etc)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon B from Partsrack posted the flows of both here a while back, he might chime in on the specs,

RT 3" stainles-ceramics flow 439CFM each
Metal Honeycombs flow 529 CFM each.
5-year defect warranty. (Does not cover air-fuel-tuning burnout)

Clamping the inlet of a cat is usually not a good idea, since the inlet is immediately at the turn-out elbow. The motor flexes .75" at WOT, and eventually you will develop an airleak. Leaking air into a furnace is a bad thing. You must babysit the clamp job.

If you bought the cats from PartsRack we can supply POP for 3 years. I cannot ID you by profile or e-dress or signature (pet peeve about this board...anonymity..cant help ya directly!)

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a reminder, does anyone know what the OEM cat airflow is for comparision?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe,

I think you might be surprised.... I don't think they're that bad actually and based on the dyno improvements I've observed with Hi-Flows, they don't appear to be cost effective HP improvers, at least on a stock engine.

I'll post a few pictures of the internals of OEM and Hi Flows when I get a chance.