1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

high beam switch problem

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by creese, Feb 6, 2020.

1. creese

creese VCA Member VCA Member

have a 2003 srt10, high beam switch would sometimes shut the lights off altogether, got a new one and when I put it in, lights and hi beams work fine, but no turn signals...checked fuse, its good, bought another switch from another company thinking the first was faulty, and exact same results.... (dumb ass me threw original switch away, so i cant try it to compare) really don't think two new switches would be bad, one came from a dodge dealer, one from rock auto, same part....wiring harness looks fine that goes into switch, searched forums and couldn't find anything, checked my service manual and nothing about replacing high beam switch.....any help would be appreciated.....thanks

2. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President

That is odd. I know I've had that switch apart as I was having an issue with my fog lights turning on randomly. Turned out I had a worn piece in the switch I built back up with some epoxy. But can't remember how the high beams worked off the top of my head. Either way I would tend to agree with you that it's doubtful two different switches would be bad. Have you checked all the bulbs and sockets around the car? The only other guess that comes to mind would be the flasher module. I think it sits on top of the steering column, so could be possible that you knocked it loose while taking the old one out maybe? I was thinking there was one small extra connector on the turn signal switch as well. Something like a little 2 pin flat deal. I don't know what it runs though. Maybe that goes to the flasher?

3. creese

Thanks, ill check the flasher module, as my turn signals and hazards don't work (they worked before I installed new multifunction switch)...there is a side plug on the switch that is plugged in from the factory (small black two prong two wires come from switch shaft) I left it plugged in, didn't know if it had anything to do with it.....I will try and report what I find..

4. steve e

steve e Enthusiast

Just some feed back on after market stuff, had a shop for 40 years and I can't tell you how many window, headlamp,turn switches were wired wrong were windows did not work, headlamps and turn switches did not work, which can play with your mind thinking you miss diagnosed the problem, the last problem I had was with a master window switch, left rear window would not go down, plugged in a new switch and right front window go's down and stays there with out touching the switch, rear windows did not work at all. went through 3 switches, gave up, took old switch apart and cleaned switch with contact cleaner and bent tabs to make a good contact, all is good, just a little story from a shop owner. PS not the best way to make money in your shop, but very happy costumers, guess that's why I lasted so long.

5. MoparMap

Yeah, my first instinct whenever something is broken is to take it apart and see why, but I know that's not a majority sentiment. Being an engineer has something to do with that too I'm sure. A lot of stuff is built to be disposable though, so it's getting tougher and tougher to repair your own stuff.

6. creese

moparmap, having one problem, cant find the flasher relay location, I have the 2003 service manual, (car is a 2003) shows its under (or directly behind) the multifunction switch, it is not, (pic of my steering column with multi switch removed below) [​IMG] cannot find anything else in the serv. manual, nothing in owners manual, nothing on forums for location of relay....I did do one bad, did not unhook the battery the first time I pulled the original switch off, don't know if it could fry the relay and NOT the fuse, but double checked the fuse and all good (even checked continuity just to make sure)….

viper.jpg

7. creese

well, (and yes feeling a very heightened point of stupidity) I know noticed the flasher relay plugs directly into the multi switch....ill let you guess what I did with the original one.....

8. MoparMap

I was going to say I could have sworn it was right on top under the steering column cover. I guess that maybe answers your question as to why it wasn't working though. Sucks that you need another one, but hopefully cheap enough and hopefully that really does fix it.

9. creese

everything working fine, here is a pic of the multiswitch WITH FLASHER RELAY INSTALLED, hope my stupidity can save someone else $25, still could not find location mentioned anywhere in service manual, and the picture definitely did NOT do it justice….MoparMap, steve, thanks very much for the help..... IMG_20200212_060156.jpg

10. MoparMap

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out at least.