Hose Tape, Sidesill Screws, and Hoodpad Clips Removal

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently got my car back from doing a full aftermarket exhaust setup and have been driving my car quite often as of late. After about a hundred mile cruise today I noticed a few minor problems while cleaning the car.

First, while opening the hood to let the engine cool down, I noticed that some tape on the vacuum hose to the engine is starting to come off:

You must be registered for see images

I tried reapplying the tape but for some reason it keeps coming off. I guess the heat coming from the engine and headers is negating the tape's adhesiveness. When I head down to the auto shop, should I look for any particular tape? I was inclined just to use electrical tape, but the tape used seems to be braided and reinforced. Other hoses, like the one in the pic below, just seem to use electrical tape:

This hose really isn't as close to the engine as the other hose pictured above so perhaps it doesn't need anything special. All I know is I don't want anything to come off and catch on fire, so I will swallow some of my pride and asked this stupid question before I go about fixing it.

Secondly, while cleaning the bottom of the sidesills, I noticed a deviation in the way the sidesill screws are fastened to the sills. On one side of the car, the washer(s) on the sidesill screw(s) are flush with the sill:

However, on the other sill on the other side of the car, the washer(s) on the sidesill screw(s) are not flush with the sill and are sunken into the sill hole:

The screws are definitely fastening the sill, but not flush. They are more or less slightly crooked. I tried taking them out and fastening them flush, but the washer keeps sinking about 1/3rd of the way into the hole. Now my question is, will this damage the sill? Or is this just normal? I don't want anything to crack or any damage to occur so I will ask about it. Also, should Locktite be applied to these screws? One of them was loose as well.

Finally, my last question really isn't a problem. I recently ordered a custom hoodpad from venomblue and will be getting it shortly. Basically I will have to remove the stock hoodpad and install the new one. Now my question is, is there any particular way to take off the hood pad clips? There are about 10 of them and they look quite peculiar:

Is there any special tool that is made to take them off? Also, if I break a few, could I get replacements at any auto parts store or would I have to go to the dealer? I guess they just snap into place as well?

Thanks in advance! :D

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My opinion on the side sill screws: The fact that the washer is intruding into the slot is not a big deal. The sill is aluminum and you will not hurt it. Normal however is flush with the surface. The sheet metal screws are very easy to strip. So you may have some stripped screws (loose). On the illustrated upgrades section is a discussion on how to install rivet nuts to use standard threaded screws rather than sheetmetal. I have access to the tools to do this but I am looking for an easier way. If and until I prove the method I won't go into much more detail. I guess the clue here is a custom machined "rivet" nut set that will not require any tools other than a drill.

Your hood pad should have more than 10 clips. Don't know what they are called but mine had two tabs on either side of the post. From the hood pad side looked like a long rectangular strip. I have never seen this exact style at the auto stores but they do sell clips. I could never find the tool that everyone says exists. So I used a steel putty knife on one side and my hand on the other. Brute forced them out. Only broke one. Also don't forget to remove the grounding ******** both sides. Those two clips (round style, grounding) were the hardest ones to remove.

Curious about the tape as well. I have a few loose strips that I was just going to use electrical tape on. Will wait for "the" answer.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clips are actually in the shape of a semi-circle before they are used. I have found them in auto-parts stores in the misc body panel fastener section. The tool is just a body panel fastener removal tool. The tool resembles a screwdriver where the tip is angled and flattens out like a chisel. At the tip is a V wedge which is slid under the body panel clip.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the same problem with the tape. I also thought it was braided, but it had just picked up the imprint from the braided tube. I replaced with regular electrical tape. So far, so good . . . :p

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about the screws, just make sure they are holding tight.

Tape, well just cut it off where it is hanging. And if you are worried about it, get some more that's made for the temp and fix 'er up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant