V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, here's my plans for the McViper. Someone stop me if this is a bad idea:

1. Borla headers
2. Delete cats
3. Muffler delete (already deleted)
4. 3" piping all the way

To me, the louder the better, but do my ideas make sense? Will the 3" piping be a noticeable improvement (performance and sound) over the stock 2.5"?

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to JD and he said going catless and mufflerless prob wouldnt cost me much performance wise. Definitly not enough to notice. He then said if I added headers, I'd pick up a good bit of power w/the full exhaust, so thats what im hoping for :) I'll probably get it done the way I want for now and if I need to make changes, I can add a muffler and/or HF cats

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it'd sound terrible. Why diminish an exotic with an obnoxiously noisy exhaust system?

A basically stock HP Viper with no muffling at all does not sound like a 900hp Viper that's overwhelming its' mufflers... so why bother?

You'd get the same HP with a 3" exhaust system that incorporates 3" or 3.5" cored mufflers having a 6" or so body to control sound.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3" all the way out is pretty damn loud...but you should put some Dynomax bullets or something in there to get rid of the raspy tone.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3" all the way out is pretty damn loud...but you should put some Dynomax bullets or something in there to get rid of the raspy tone.

I agree. But, It won't cost much if any more to try it without mufflers first......WHAT ????????? :)

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, don't you guys have something called emmissions in GA? I used to think the same exact way as you and I did that exact same thing to my Big Block 69 Camaro, open headers, no cats or mufflers 3" piping. I had to actually shut the car off at a drive through window because they couldn't even hear me when the car was at idle trying to order~ :laugh: . It actually became too loud after a while, and that was in my young years. Go with a high flo cat/ performance exhaust and the headers, the sound will be much nicer yet mean at the same time. :2tu:

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Certain parts of GA have emissions. I live in the city of Killyourself, GA. We dont have emissions :) Life ***** so much here, dying a slow death because of carbon monoxide poisoning isnt the worst thing that could happen to you, so noone worries with emissions :D I'm gonna start out with the over the top loud and mod from there (HF cats, mufflers, etc) if need be. I may hold off on the 3" piping though. I'll prob just add the headers and delete the cats to begin with. If thats not enough, I'll go back and add the 3" piping ;)

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have your checkbook ready for the first cop that writes that noise into words on his ticket book. I would use the ticket money to buy some bullet mufflers for your side sills. I will see "or hear" you at the meeting on the 27th!

Rich

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut out the rear muffler, then the cats, then the resonator with 2.5" all the way out...sounded like s*&%.

It sounded the best with just the resonators.

But now I have 3" with just the Bullets...def. sounds a lot better.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red viper + yellow rims + no cats/mufflers = TICKET ME!

-------------------------------------------------------------
1997 B/W GTS
2004 SRT10 White Mamba
2006 SRT10 VCA coupe

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red viper + chrome rims + no cats/mufflers = sweet!
:2tu:

I'm working on the wheels, but prob a couple months out. I'd like to find some OEM polished wheels and just put the yellows in storage for the future. So, if anyone has some OEM wheels (any style except Gen 1 razor wheels) they wanna dump, LMK! Dont have to be perfect, but dont want beat to heck wheels either :)

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red viper + chrome rims + no cats/mufflers = sweet!
:2tu:

I'm working on the wheels, but prob a couple months out. I'd like to find some OEM polished wheels and just put the yellows in storage for the future. So, if anyone has some OEM wheels (any style except Gen 1 razor wheels) they wanna dump, LMK! Dont have to be perfect, but dont want beat to heck wheels either :)

Maybe then avatar man will finally fix you up with a proper avatar, lol.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Borla headers
2. Delete cats
4. 3" piping all the way

To me, the louder the better, but do my ideas make sense? Will the 3" piping be a noticeable improvement (performance and sound) over the stock 2.5"?
You left out 5. Side exit!! I did all the above except high flo cats and its VERY loud as the Viper should be. No UPS truck here!!

S

SUN RA KAT

1. Borla headers
2. Delete cats
4. 3" piping all the way

I had a similar set up last summer and every policeman would wake up and give me an ****** out of their jurisdiction. My neighbors complained about the loudness. It sounded great, but only to gearheads and very few people in the total population are gearheads. I had Larry Macedo put my Random Tech Metal Substrate cats back on and the sound is great - not too loud unless you want it to be.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I mention not to point this at dried leaves as they will start on fire? You WILL see flames out of your exhaust. Talk to Tator if you don't believe me. :cool:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Borla headers
2. Delete cats
4. 3" piping all the way

I say....give it a try. You can always add back in. I'm running Belanger headers/no cats/3" pipe and 4 Race Bullet mufflers. 2 where the resonators were and 2 in the back. I've heard the same set up on a '97 using only 2 of the same mufflers in the back. A little louder--not too much difference. His lumpier cam makes it a little more aggressive sounding, but otherwise about the same.

When I start the car in the garage..........the windows upstairs rattle and neighbors 2 blocks away are aware that we have ignition.....I get nothing but compliments from everyone. They tell me they look forward to hearing and seeing it come down the street...the last 6 years. I take some delight in setting off all car alarms in parking ramps or even just driving down the street slowly to find a parking place touches them off. Parking ramps are more fun as you wind your way to an upper level leaving a cacaphony of sirens in your wake ;) At WOT, we've been heard 2 miles away. Life is good!!

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4