How long does a Viper take to sell?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually I think it's funny. ViperCT2001 only bought his car because he was jealous of the convertible top on my old Miata. Then I upgraded to a turbo Miata, and now he's selling his car because he knows I'm still faster in twisties. :)
Just kidding ... sorry to see your car go, ViperCT2001. Sure had plenty of adventures in that beast! Use some of the money for go-fast upgrades to the 3000GT.

The Mitsubishi 3000GT IS a GREAT car (the all-wheel drive model)....we liken it to the Dodge Stealth (believe it may even be on same platform/chassis?)....love that 3000GT!
BUT, nothing beats a Viper anyday.......enjoy~~~juli

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

Anyone notice this thread was WEEKS ago, before someone popped back on it and started asking questions again. Its highly likely that 3 weeks later, after lowering his price, he sold it. Hell he had an offer at 39k, but wanted to hold out to 43k.. if I were him, I would take 40k and run like hell. Maybe he did. Its probably sold.

Jon

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mmm, well I hope it has sold since his last post.

It's tough to gauge pricing on what will sell when you're in an area of higher cost of living and everyone expects things to cost more. But who would pay 10k more or even 3k more for a car just because it is closer than a 12hour drive down south where comparable cars can be found for less. Used Vipers are not impulse purchases (in my mind), so the buyer will have staked out the market first.

To be honest? If it were a GTS instead of an RT/10, I might have taken a look at it. I like the SRT-10 look for convertibles - just not a fan of Gen I/II roadsters. But like someone posted from NJ, I'm looking at the housing market and waiting for a deal there before I get into any new toys. When I do, there will be one fewer DSBM '01 GTS on the market. I really like the ACR in the classifieds with the chromed BBS rims (although I can't tell from the front left angle if the hood is simply not latched down or if the nose is off angle), but assets take precedence over toys that will depreciate for now.

Dealmaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mmm, well I hope it has sold since his last post.

It's tough to gauge pricing on what will sell when you're in an area of higher cost of living and everyone expects things to cost more. But who would pay 10k more or even 3k more for a car just because it is closer than a 12hour drive down south where comparable cars can be found for less. Used Vipers are not impulse purchases (in my mind), so the buyer will have staked out the market first.

To be honest? If it were a GTS instead of an RT/10, I might have taken a look at it. I like the SRT-10 look for convertibles - just not a fan of Gen I/II roadsters. But like someone posted from NJ, I'm looking at the housing market and waiting for a deal there before I get into any new toys. When I do, there will be one fewer DSBM '01 GTS on the market. I really like the ACR in the classifieds with the chromed BBS rims (although I can't tell from the front left angle if the hood is simply not latched down or if the nose is off angle), but assets take precedence over toys that will depreciate for now.
DSBM:dunno:

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just sold my 2001 RT/10 today (Wednesday) for $42,000 ($1k less than asking). I know a lot of people are saying I overpriced it even at $43,000 but I'm telling you most comparable cars were selling for $5000-$9000 more.

But that's neither here nor there - what's done is done. I'm happy I sold it, yet sad to see it go.

The guy financed it for $36,000 and we did all the paperwork (title sign over) at his bank. He's going to get it registered this afternoon I assume. I thought he was getting a loan for the full amount, but apparently he's paying $6000 in cash for the remainder.

Told him I had to go to work, so tonight he's picking up the vehicle and giving me the cash.

Don't think I ever carried that much cash. Perhaps I shouldn't be advertising the fact that I will have $6000 in cash tonight. Course nobody knows where I live except that Miata owner friend of mine - newguynj who wrote his first post on Page 4 "ViperCT2001 only bought his car because he was jealous of the convertible top on my old Miata"

Yeah, you got me. I bought a convertible Viper so I could compete with his Miata. Uhhhh no. Why would I buy a "manly" beast vehicle (Viper) to compete with a "girly" car (Miata) which is often driven by women? (no offense ladies)
Doesn't the Viper Forums have a rule against Japanese wannabes trash talking an :usa: icon?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of cash, I had a guy take a train from NY to where I used to live in MD with $26k in cash taped to his legs for a car he was buying from me.

Back to the thread though - clean, documented Vipers will bring top dollar (whatever that is!) now and in the future, no what the "market" claims to be for them.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck on the sale. You should be able to get around $40,000 give or take a grand, but how long do you want to hold out? If things get any worse (which may very well happen) you are going to wish that you had jumped on that $39 grand. In any event, hope all goes well with the sale.

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
;)
I just sold my 2001 RT/10 today (Wednesday) for $42,000 ($1k less than asking). I know a lot of people are saying I overpriced it even at $43,000 but I'm telling you most comparable cars were selling for $5000-$9000 more.

But that's neither here nor there - what's done is done. I'm happy I sold it, yet sad to see it go.

The guy financed it for $36,000 and we did all the paperwork (title sign over) at his bank. He's going to get it registered this afternoon I assume. I thought he was getting a loan for the full amount, but apparently he's paying $6000 in cash for the remainder.

Told him I had to go to work, so tonight he's picking up the vehicle and giving me the cash.

Don't think I ever carried that much cash. Perhaps I shouldn't be advertising the fact that I will have $6000 in cash tonight. Course nobody knows where I live except that Miata owner friend of mine - newguynj who wrote his first post on Page 4 "ViperCT2001 only bought his car because he was jealous of the convertible top on my old Miata"

QUOTE]

Thats pretty funny.

I just bought a viper today and financed 36k and plan on paying the remainder of 6k in cash tonight.

What a coincidence! ;)

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
>> I just bought a viper today and financed 36k and plan on paying the remainder of 6k in cash tonight. What a coincidence!

LOL! Hey Mark! Hey everyone, it's the buyer of my Viper! Wow, didn't expect you to be on the Viper boards today. Figured you'd be running around getting new plates, insurance, and telling everyone you're the proud new owner of a beautiful Dodge Viper. :2tu:

I guess since you don't have the keys yet you're here on the boards to get your Viper fill.

Well, I think my Viper is going to a good home. Since you're in Trumbull, just 25 miles away I might even run into you on the highway.

Maybe in 5 years or so I can buy it back from you. :D

p.s. See you in a couple hours for the $6,000

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Selling a Gen II Viper right now is just a bad idea. Most cars hit their maximum depreciation at 10 years after they roll off the lot. After 10 years they keep up with inflation then if they are a demand item they will start to increase in value.
Once you go over 12k miles and the vehicle is not over 10 years old it is viewed as USED. When I was looking for mine I wanted something under 12K miles and I was willing to pay a premium to get that. (yes also had to be in mint condition as well). Mile's indicate a generalization of how much wear and tear the car has on it.

If you have to sell your gonna take a loss on it, that is the nature of cars espeacially when they are within the depreciation stage. How much of a loss depends on how badly you wish to sell and how active the market is. Right now the market is being flooded with sports cars.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the sale. And... uh... congrats on the purchase?

I was just thinking about this earlier today for some reason and was going to suggest ctcars.com and The Bargain News. Too late!

MarkRX.... don't go leaving that car unattended in a lot down there. That whole Trumbull/Stratford area doesn't strike me as friendly towards classy cars. "Whut's thet car? Dun look like ah Mus-tang ta me!"

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of cash, I had a guy take a train from NY to where I used to live in MD with $26k in cash taped to his legs for a car he was buying from me.

Back to the thread though - clean, documented Vipers will bring top dollar (whatever that is!) now and in the future, no what the "market" claims to be for them.

Thats nothing.. haha I had a guy buy my Supra for 38k cash. I told him I would accept cash only. Of course I had my .45 in the small of my back if he thought he could take the car and the cash!!
:D

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the sale. And... uh... congrats on the purchase?

I was just thinking about this earlier today for some reason and was going to suggest ctcars.com and The Bargain News. Too late!

MarkRX.... don't go leaving that car unattended in a lot down there. That whole Trumbull/Stratford area doesn't strike me as friendly towards classy cars. "Whut's thet car? Dun look like ah Mus-tang ta me!"

HAHA. I hear you dude.

I had no idea the car attracted as much attention as it does. I was out last night and tonight with it and it just gets crowds wherever it goes. Ill post some stories of my whole day of ownership when I have some time tomorrow. Are you in the local area? It would be cool to know some fellow owners around CT.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Me? I'm from Wallingford. My girlfriend's apartment is in Stratford though, not far from Sikorsky. Whenever we stay at her place all I hear are pickup trucks with open exhausts and old Mustangs rumbling around at night.

I'll take a rain check on the cruise. I sold my last two toys last Fall to fund a business venture, so the only thing I'd be following you in would be an undercover State Police car.

Speaking of which, my buddy is on a task force that works on a lot of theft recovery, busting up chop shops and drag racing, etc. The State got a big delivery of Charger RTs last month, so watch out for the new and more powerful unmarked cars. Not just Impalas and Explorers anymore.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HAHA. I hear you dude.

I had no idea the car attracted as much attention as it does. I was out last night and tonight with it and it just gets crowds wherever it goes. Ill post some stories of my whole day of ownership when I have some time tomorrow. Are you in the local area? It would be cool to know some fellow owners around CT.
Wallingford. Congrats on the purchase.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the sale and Congrats on the purchase. Vipers ROCK!:2tu:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just sold my <10K miles '99 GTS today for 45K. A price both parties can live with. Especially in this market and in the middle of September. That selling price was just under what I paid for it a year ago not incl sale tax.

So I'm happy !

I kept going to 2 local cruises with a f/s sign in the windshield, the cruise on Sunday reported to be one of the largest cruises in NE USA with 700-1000 cars attending every week..

I also bought a domain name to forward to my free Geocities website with pics of the car. I opted for that thinking a domain name (www.buythisviper.com) would be easier to remember than a telephone number..

Guess I own that name for about another 9 mos. If anyone wants me to forward it to their Viper for sale website, PM me. Otherwise I'll cancel it. Heck, I'll even put your pics on my Yahoo Geocities website if you want to use my www.BuyThisViper.com domain name. (first come first served)

Doesn't cost me anything for another 9 mos or so...

In the end the website did not sell the car, but the buyer was told someone with a GTS for sale (me) was at the Sunday cruise regularly.

So persistence paid off
http://www.geocities.com/vipergaragesale/index.html

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats FE065 on your sale...tho of course, sorry to see the Viper have to go. Sounds like you did all the right things and got a good price! Hope you have another Viper lined up? I forget...I've seen some of your posts, but I don't have a great memory! Here's hoping to seeing a future Viper for you. ~juli