How loud is it really?

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just bought a B&B cat-back exhuast for my 97'GTS, but I will be running no cats, so..............how loud is it really?
I have been debating on just straight pipes or to install another muffer where the converters used to be.
Loud dosent't bother me, but really really loud I don't like. I will be staying away from converters completely.
The supposed smell of running no cats doesn't bother me either. Which my Dakota R/T with the 408 stroker runs with no cats and I don't get a smell from it, just raw fuel coming out :)
Any input would be great, thanks :2tu:

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
I run straight pipes with Borla and RT high flows and it is loud. I don't think you will be *really* loud with just going catless. Do it!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not that loud and the B&B system has a great sound, however I believe it may present you with increased drone issues without the cats. Hiflow metal matrix cats would be a great alternative to a secondary muffler IMHO. The cats tend to limit drone better than another muffler and they get rid of the noxious odors. You'll love the sound difference compared to the stock exhaust.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were a side piper with the outlets under your ear it would be too loud. Rear exhaust no problem. Music to your ears. Sounds like Lemans at WOT.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats and no muffler is obnoxious (which I happen to be OK with). Cat delete only is just fine even for everyday use.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VJR3 , Do you have headers or are you planning on getting headers?

I have B&B Headers & a 3" B&B exhaust. Have tried many diff setups for the cats from hi-flow, to straightpipes, to diff mufflers/resonators inplace of em. With my setup(with headers) the no cat/straightpipe option was way to obnixious for me. It had an ear percing WAAAAA when i got on it and was more pronounced when driving through backroads and hearing it echo off of trees and even worse when driving by other motorists. I actually felt bad assuming that it sounded even more obnoxious for the mom carting her kids around in the minivan. I did Not want to be associated with the obnoxious ricers with their fartcans disturbing the peace:nono:

Do hi-flows, or if your anti-cats then atleast throw some straight-thru type resonators/mufflers in place of em. They will take the bite out and still leave plently of good sound volume.
Ive tried ones with a 6" case diameter that took out alittle too much sound IMO and barely Didnt fit behind the sills. Also 4" ones that are currently under my sills but i think they are just a little to loud. If i had to do it again(and i prob will at some point) then id go with these 5"ers:
MagnaFlow 12867 - MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

To answer your Q of How loud is it really? in one word:
OBNOXIOUS

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
o yea, I have heard a Gen2 with stock headers and straightpipes all the way back. It was the worsed **** i have ever heard. Sounded like he had a bunch a soda cans dragging behind the car.(No offense Zentnek, i know a real exhaust/headers and all kinds of other good stuff was on your list for when you got back from overseas:2tu:)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had one of our club members run with rear pipes, headers and no cats.

Sounded pretty loud, and you could hear him before you could see him coming.

Without cats nobody wanted to drive behind him. Made you sick to your stomach, and your eyes would water. He was a really nice guy, but nobody wanted to drive along side of him due to noise or behind him due to smell. Got old real quick.

OP
OP
V

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Dom426h for the insight. I do have stock manifolds with no plans on changing them and I'am anti-cats, so this is what I'am going to try..............

........What I'am going to try is striaght pipe into a 10inch/4.25inch case straight through race muffler right into the B&B muffler. The mufflers I found are made by Kook's Headers.

I want the Lemans sound but not super super loud. Hopefully this set-up will kill it just enough. We will see, at least it will look pretty, its all stainless.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, some more info: the 4" ones im running are a 15.5" case:
Vibrant Performance ::.
I just noticed that they now offer a 5" version:
Vibrant Performance ::.

I think that a 10" case will not do enough to the sound. Check out this thread with someone recently implementing a similar 10"er:
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...e-ever-use-borla-s-type-stinger-mufflers.html

Also, Do headers!!! They really bring out the stampede of the V10 and make it sound like youve got a wicked cam. Also they take Full advantage of the 3" system to gain over 50hp. Wish i could take you for a spin right now to show you:drive:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my 98 GTS with a Cat Back exhaust with no cats and no rear mufflers and K&N intake. Just that little muffler in the pic. Not bad at all... I Love it...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fDI0y5pWxw[/media]

You must be registered for see images attach

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my 98 GTS with a Cat Back exhaust with no cats and no rear mufflers and K&N intake. Just that little muffler in the pic. Not bad at all... I Love it...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fDI0y5pWxw[/media]
You must be registered for see images attach

this setup sounds great IMO at cruising speeds and highway. i have not been IN the car with him at the time but driving next to him.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Paul is right on the money, as catless really smells and it could be a problem selling it in alot of States. Go iwth Hi-flows if you wish, but I would sure go that route. It will sound great anyway , and it won't be obnoxious. I had headers, cats and a Corsa on mine and it just sounded flat wicked!!

OP
OP
V

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just don't understand this "smell situation" with no cats.

My 408stroker in my Dakota does not give off any type of nasty smell. It has no cats with a duel 3in exhuast. Is the Viper a differant animal? Is it the extra 80ci or is the extra 2 cylinders?

:dunno:

OP
OP
V

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
v10enomous, your car sounds great. See I would be happy with that, it doesn't really sound that loud. How is the smell on it though?

Headers arn't in the budget for me right now, plus I want to keep a somewhat stock look under the hood.

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 98 GTS with stock manifolds, B&B Header-back exhaust, without cats. It's fairly loud. Everyone has their own personal tolerances. Everyone tells me that the car sounds amazing. I like it ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWf8kNILvPo[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA6jr-uUe7A[/media]

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Car is designed to run very rich during idle --- around town , etc. that is primarily when it smells and you can be sitting sucking the fumes. That and the fact that it can be hard to sell in many States is a detriment. Your call , but not a real benefit in my eyes. Many Dealers will deduct a good amount if it is without cats.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think v10enomous has much of a no cats smell on his. lets see what he says.

Taking off the cats is the best thing I have done to the car... I haven't noticed any smell... In fact with the cats on you could smell the paint burning on the sills or something. Who gives a hoot even if it does smell though... I like chainsaws, outboards and two stroke bikes... Pre 1974 cars didn't have cats and everyone lived. In fact the early cats all smelled like rotten eggs and they set cars on fire when they parked in grass fields... When I first heard my car without the cats it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be but it still sounded sort of loud. I got used to it after the first few rides and now it sounds amazing to me. Everyone tells me it sounds great and only 1 Vette guy with a new ZR1 said it was too loud.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noise aside, slightly richer exhaust smell w/o cats.....not bad, just slightly richer. But as mentioned, sill temps go way down.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is that you have an ear for a sweet running engine if you have a stroker Dakota. I think you'll end up with headers down the road. Just a guess on my part.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers will create more noise and general discomfort than removing the cats. The thin header pipes eliminate all of the noise and vibration canceling properties that you get with heavy exhaust manifolds.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers will create more noise and general discomfort than removing the cats. The thin header pipes eliminate all of the noise and vibration canceling properties that you get with heavy exhaust manifolds.

Though I understand exactly what your saying, I disagree.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
o yea, I have heard a Gen2 with stock headers and straightpipes all the way back. It was the worsed **** i have ever heard. Sounded like he had a bunch a soda cans dragging behind the car.(No offense Zentnek, i know a real exhaust/headers and all kinds of other good stuff was on your list for when you got back from overseas:2tu:)

No offense taken, it sounds like complete ******!! Sounded like some ******** guy with a bull horn up his rear ripping it as I went down the street.

I bought the car with only cats installed (no mufflers), one of the cats crapped out so I went straight pipes. It is very loud and stinks to high heaven! I do not recommend it. When I get back home in July I will have Bassani mufflers and hi-flow cats installed with custom piping. I will post up sound clips before/after.

:usa:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess i'll comment on the smell as well.

You do get used to it. I actually forgot what running catless was like untill this week when i took my viper out of hibernation and have been driving to work every day.

I dont personally mind the smell that much cause im a gearhead. The Big kicker though is that my Wife notices it. Sometimes when i come in the house after a long drive in the viper and go to give my wife a hug/kiss she rejects & tells me i stink. It remineds me of when i used to ride an older carbureted sportbike that always left me smelling like fuel. I knew to go straight to the shower before attempting to interact with my girlfriend...

Also, i do notice that my eye's sightly burn after drivng, but i must add that i partly bame this(and the smell) on the faulty cabin exhaust vents in the hatch that even though i regularly check them they still seem to leak some of the swirling exhaust fumes from behind the car into the cabin.
Another indication is that when i take my contacts ut at the end of the day and squirt solution in the case an oily shean appears on the surface:omg:. No bullsh!t.

So, there is the ugly truth from a married man with contacts real world experience. Your's may vary especially if your a single guy not trying to impress anyone with your smell and dont wear contacts:)

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I forget about the smell but like Dom said, my wife does notice as well... so maybe high flow cats are better for u?
She's not in the car that often and I dont mind it, but it is there.
:dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery