How many is too many owners?

THE FLASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looking at a few B/W 96 or 97 GTS. Does it really matter how many previous owners a particuliar Viper has had? Or is that a bad sign for that particulair car? It makes sense to me if the car is 11 or 12 years old that it may have changed hands a few times. One in particuliar has 24K miles and if I got it, I would be owner # 5. Thanks for the info and helping me get closer to my dream :).

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think multiple owners is indicative of anything. People buy and sell cars for a host of reasons, and a Viper GTS is not necessarily that easy to live with, especially if you don't know what you are getting in to.

OP
OP
T

THE FLASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about if the car was bought in the midwest, then moved to the west coast, and then ended up on the east coast?

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the 4th owner of my car and likely the last owner as its almost paid off. If history has taught me anything, don't sell rare cars if you can afford them.....I'm sure there is someone on this site who knew someone who sold a 70' or '71 Hemi Cuda Convertible or a hemi Superbird and wishes they could get those cars back.

ViperJon is exactly right, there are tons of people who buy a Viper, get their thrill and sell it for many reasons, we've seen a few here buy a ferrari or lambo and use the Viper in trade...or those who buy, don't get the chance to drive it and sell, or those who change their mind about owning a car they drive so rarely.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
T

THE FLASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking, I just wanted to ask the pro's :)Thanks again!

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One nice thing is that generaly someone who buys a car like this will realy baby it for at least the first 6months if not much longer because of the new feel and enchantment the car brings to them. So more than likely you have 5 years of that car realy being cared for dearly.

OP
OP
T

THE FLASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One nice thing is that generaly someone who buys a car like this will realy baby it for at least the first 6months if not much longer because of the new feel and enchantment the car brings to them. So more than likely you have 5 years of that car realy being cared for dearly.

Great point :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Multiple owners should not be an issue even though some buyers will get their undies all wadded up over it. Just do the research and make certain there are no stories. Enjoy it!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. But, I passed on a Saphire Blue '01 RT/10 because it had gone from wholesaler to wholesaler, changing title about 11 times. Loved the car, but was afraid it had some really bad history.

As long as you've checked its history, should not be a problem.

Enjoy it!

Peter

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be a little concerened that every guy that owned it, at least a few times, got his rocks off by running the crap out of it.There are a lot of 1 or 2 owner cars out there for you to choose from.Service records won't show abuse.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plenty of one or two owner cars with 1500miles

1/4 mile at a time

or 10,000 mile cars ALL(of the miles) around Road America or Mid-Ohio !

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was the original owner on my 2002 Bumblebee I used to think that it was important. I recently bought a 2001 that has had 3 previous owners(the first was the dealer principal and just for 35 miles), and I don't seem to care that much now.

It all comes down to how well it was taken care of really. My car was CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN when I got it, so I don't care if I'm officially the 4th owner. Heck, I might just keep this one till my 80th Birthday anyways so who really cares:lmao:

However, I would be leary of cars that are passed around among various wholesalers though. It most likely has some history to it.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the fifth owner on my '01 GTS. One of the previous owners had it twice. Matter of fact, the exotic car dealership I bought it from said that person had been looking at getting it back again. As mentioned above, quite likely all of them did the rocks off runs in the car. Well, *** do you think I do EVERY time I run to the beer store???

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am the 5th owner of my 96 GTS
#1 - Cali
#2 - cali
#3 - Cali
#4 - Ill
#5 - PHX (me) bought it 11 months ago with 43k miles...now I got about 49k miles on it. Once October comes around it gets out of the garage more!

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the fifth owner on my '01 GTS. One of the previous owners had it twice. Matter of fact, the exotic car dealership I bought it from said that person had been looking at getting it back again. As mentioned above, quite likely all of them did the rocks off runs in the car. Well, *** do you think I do EVERY time I run to the beer store???

Swerve. A lot. :D

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be a little concerened that every guy that owned it, at least a few times, got his rocks off by running the crap out of it.There are a lot of 1 or 2 owner cars out there for you to choose from.Service records won't show abuse.

Getting on the car ain't gonna hurt it once it's broken in, it's born and bred for that, and second what about the one owner car with 500 miles that accumulated the mileage 1/4 mile at a time.
Bottom line, research the prior owners, talk to them and ask nice but hard questions.

Last edited:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 02 new but I also bought a 96 with at least two previous owners, car ran great and had 60k miles on it when I sold it. The owners would not matter to me as long as it was taken care of. I would go for it if it checks out.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the history of a car matters to you, the number of owners is important. I wouldn't buy a used Viper (or other exotic) with more then three owners.

Jim

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the history of a car matters to you, the number of owners is important. I wouldn't buy a used Viper (or other exotic) with more then three owners.

Jim

Why???? People buy and sell cars for a lot of reasons. Having more than 3 owners doesn't mean it's a bad car. You sure your not a corvette owner??:D Sounds like some of their logic.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious. You can't tell the history of a car as easily without talking to the owner. Of course, he could be lying, but there's nothing like being able to ask questions like, how many times did you track the car?

BTW, do let anyone and everyone drive your Viper? I assume you just toss the keys to you co-workers and let them take it out, no questions asked. That's what a multi-owner, no history car is like too me.

If that doesn't matter to you, it's no big deal, but it does to me.

And yes, I have owned a Corvette, along with my 99 GTS

Jim

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious. You can't tell the history of a car as easily without talking to the owner. Of course, he could be lying, but there's nothing like being able to ask questions like, how many times did you track the car?

BTW, do let anyone and everyone drive your Viper? I assume you just toss the keys to you co-workers and let them take it out, no questions asked. That's what a multi-owner, no history car is like too me.

If that doesn't matter to you, it's no big deal, but it does to me.

And yes, I have owned a Corvette, along with my 99 GTS

Jim

I figured you owned one. l bet you wear gold chains and a members only windbreaker to:lmao:

Seriously though, that may be what it is like to you, but still doesn't mean their is anything wrong with a multi owner car.

btw, I've still got 3 vettes 62, 64, 66 along with my 02 GTS Twin Turbo.:rolleyes:

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flash, if you get a car I would call Chuck Tator and ask him to run a vin# for you...When I bought my vipers I was looking for 1 owner cars but I'm mental like that...Good luck in your purchase and get that vin. checked out. Adrian