How to test the clock spring

PENG777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the airbag light on in my 96 GTS for about a year now and finally decided to do something about it. I pulled the clock spring off and now need to know how to test it to make sure it is indeed broken. Anybody know how to test these?

And why does my signal light not self cancel now that I've removed the clock spring?

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a scan tool that can read air bag codes? The proper way to diagnos this part is to set the opposite code or use a load tool. (pretend air bag, clockspring simulator)

Part of the clocksping cancels the signals

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a voltmeter and check for continuity at both ends of each wire
luc00GTS

I've had the airbag light on in my 96 GTS for about a year now and finally decided to do something about it. I pulled the clock spring off and now need to know how to test it to make sure it is indeed broken. Anybody know how to test these?

And why does my signal light not self cancel now that I've removed the clock spring?

OP
OP
P

PENG777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a proper code reader but was hoping to look for continuity between certain pins but don't have a schematic. Does anybody have one?

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
air bag line 1 (BK/LB pin 2)
aig bag line 2 (DG/LB pin 1)

The wiring should continue through the clockspring the same color, this is not the correct way to test this, but good luck

G

OP
OP
P

PENG777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. I decided to remove the screws and open it up. Sure enough the copper conductor had pulled away from the ribbon.