I quit...

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After working for my current employer for 9 years, I've had enough. The company has grown and changed dramatically during that time- not all for the better IMHO. So Friday I put in my notice- time to start my own company again.

Sue and I have been contemplating this for quite some time now, so this is not a rash decision by any means. She has been with me through numerous previous startups, and understands the commitments. We will reign in our reckless consumerism and focus head down for a few years now on this new venture. Time to lay off the housekeeper, mothball the sailboat (hardest of all), and sell our red SRT-10. Wistfull sigh...

Bottom line: $87,000 because I like nice even numbers. You title it and pay the sales taxes. The car has 16 miles. It came from BillP with floor mats & trunkliner, and you know how perfect his cars are... It has been in my heated garage ever since I took delivery- hulking under a car cover, awaiting my business decision.

As much as I will miss driving a Viper, I will be supremely happy to be in control of my destiny once again. I shall be back for another Viper- perhaps in yellow?

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Luck. I know only how you feel as a working stiff for someone else. I wish I could severe the ties also. But I don't have the cojones.

OP
OP
T

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee-
What do you mean by "open"? I have the MSO- looks like there is room for a few more sellers to sign off. PM me if interested.

Hoosier Daddy-
There are things worse in life than giving up posessions- like giving up your dignity to keep them. Like I said- I'll be back. Bill is more than ready to sell me another Viper, and I will be calling him at some point down the road. Next time, I think I will drive it home though. :D :D

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, what I meant was is YOUR name already on the paperwork. If it is then you will have to title the car in your name, thereby incuring sales tax before you can transfer title. "Open mso ususally means no names are listed yet. This obviously changes the sale price as you mentioned the buyer would pay the tax and be the first owner. It's also nice to be the "original owner."

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lee's correct! Only the dealer can transfer on an MSO. A consumer can only transfer with a title. In New York, you can apply for "Title Only" and not have to register it but you will have to pay the sales tax if your state collects a tax on a vehicle purchase. Good luck with your new business venture.

Mike
Retired Dodge Dealer in upstate New York

OP
OP
T

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm. So I guess I may have some more paperwork to do for the state, as I'm already listed on the MSO )as well as the sticker). I will have to check with the state people on this, as Washington may be different.

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for taking care of my car until I could afford it. Thanks for filling in the holes on my cars history. Good luck with your new company, we just did the same thing. Selling my airplane was my most difficult move, I feel your pain. I'll take good care of your old GTS.
You must be registered for see images

Rashad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can definitely relate to you Tom's Friend. This country needs some more entrepreneurs. GO FOR IT!

P.S...WOW Snake Av8r that car looks so hott with the 20 inch rims..

OP
OP
T

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee's correct! Only the dealer can transfer on an MSO. A consumer can only transfer with a title. In New York, you can apply for "Title Only" and not have to register it but you will have to pay the sales tax if your state collects a tax on a vehicle purchase. Good luck with your new business venture.

Mike
Retired Dodge Dealer in upstate New York

Not true in Washington. I can sell up to 4 cars a year without meeting the registration requirement. (details here) So it looks like this car will be sold as "new" by me to the first titled/registered owner.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like you have to register them. Is this still considered MSO

"In one twelve month period, you can sell four (4) cars that are registered to you. The 5th sale (or selling any vehicle not owned, registered, or titled to you) is considered dealer activity."

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Tom, my situation was sort of a mirror image of yours.

I started a business, just so I could afford a Viper.

You are selling your Viper before you start your business.

The courage of Roy Sjoberg, Tom Gale, Bob Lutz, and Francois Castaing, (can we still say that?) in making the bold move to create the Viper inspired me to make bold changes in my life. So in that way, the Viper changed my life! But it actually took a car accident to get me off the "wheel". That sealed the deal, and ever since then, I've been on my own. It ain't always easy, but always feels great!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you going to do Tom. I am dying to get out on my own but can't decide what to do and am a little short on funds right now. Best of luck to ya...

OP
OP
T

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you going to do Tom. I am dying to get out on my own but can't decide what to do and am a little short on funds right now. Best of luck to ya...

Not sure yet, as there are sooo many opportunities right now. The first thing is to get that foul taste out of my mouth, and recharge my batteries. (Can you say Otra cervasa por favor?) :cool: After spending a few weeks with children who will grow up (mine), it will be time to plan what is next.
:laugh: