iForged Wheels

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I'm still waiting on an '08, I've got much too much time to try and consider every option. Since iForged is now offering a group buy, I am considering replacing (selling)what will be my OE 5 spoke set (which I was planning on painting) with a new set of painted iForged wheels.

Although I see them often of various high performance and high end cars, I really don't know much about their street rep for damage. I love their look and I wouldn't mind some reduction in unsprung weight, but I don't want any additional risk of wheel damage in typical street use. My question is whether they are any more prone to damage than an OE wheel for street use. My GEN 2 wheels have not gotten bent in over 44,000 miles. Am I looking for trouble or are iForged (aero's) wheels as resistant to damage as OE wheels? Aluminum alloy is spozed to be stronger than steel, but I'd sure like to hear what others have to say before I drop a few grand. Thanks.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately if you are worried about bending a rim, I think the stock set is your best bet to stick with for the long term. They are a solid, bulky forged rim that will resist denting more so then an aftermarket rim. The roads in NY just plain ****.

I pay special attention to the road on unfamilar drives and steer clear of *** holes. I did take a pretty decent pothole about a year ago and have a very minor dent in the rim which drives me crazy even though you can barely see it. I noticed afterwards thay my pressure was about 5 psi low so that might have changed things. Nonetheless, the stock rims will weather the NY roads better than aftermarket.

iforgeddealer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since I'm still waiting on an '08, I've got much too much time to try and consider every option. Since iForged is now offering a group buy, I am considering replacing (selling)what will be my OE 5 spoke set (which I was planning on painting) with a new set of painted iForged wheels.

Although I see them often of various high performance and high end cars, I really don't know much about their street rep for damage. I love their look and I wouldn't mind some reduction in unsprung weight, but I don't want any additional risk of wheel damage in typical street use. My question is whether they are any more prone to damage than an OE wheel for street use. My GEN 2 wheels have not gotten bent in over 44,000 miles. Am I looking for trouble or are iForged (aero's) wheels as resistant to damage as OE wheels? Aluminum alloy is spozed to be stronger than steel, but I'd sure like to hear what others have to say before I drop a few grand. Thanks.

iForged wheels are built with 6061-T6 aluminum one of the highest grades of aluminum used in the aerospace industry. As long as you check your tire pressure and don't let it fall too low you should have no problems with city driving.

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
iForged wheels are built with 6061-T6 aluminum one of the highest grades of aluminum used in the aerospace industry. As long as you check your tire pressure and don't let it fall too low you should have no problems with city driving.

I think your wheels are great, but NYC streets are killer on aftermarket wheels and low profile tires. I don't car how careful you are, they are like land mines these days.

Scott, I would stay with the 5 spokes, the IForged look great, but don't kid yourself about city streets.

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got some Astra's for my ride but I had to sell them because I purchased the 5" lip wheel and would not clear my BBK kit. :(

You are probably good with a 4" lip if you ever decide to upgrade calipers.

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

It's funny, but I can't recall hitting a *** hole in NYC. Speed on city streets is so minimal that you can easily avoid most serious problems. It's more difficult not to scrape the underside of your facia than to avoid road hazards. It's around the city that I've had more problems. Hiway crews that don't finish work leave 3 inch trenches or ridges (not to mention steel plates) across roads without any advance notice. It's those hazards that tick me off the most because you're cruising along with traffic at 60 mph and you have no chance to avoid or slow down.

I appreciate Matt's claims about their strength. Matt, is there any "lip depth" that would fit and be the most resistant to damage?

Has anyone had some first hand experience bending one?

Last edited:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right, it is not necesarily the city streets, it is the parkways and highways surrounding it. As I noted if you are really interested in the after market wheel you can run them without much of a problem but you just need to pay attention and know where you can and cant drive. I have been running my HREs for 2 plus years with one minor incident and it was more due to low pressure than anything else.

A word of caustion - If you ever plan to drive on the BQE, then I suggest the stock rims. On second thought i wouldnt even recommend driving on the BQE at all.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Iforged have been rock solid for 5k miles now, I have a 19/20" setup. Love the look of Ifrorged and they are priced very competitively.

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like the look of many iForged, but have had 2 sets with quality issues and POOR customer service from Vince. Feel free to read about it at classicsupra.com

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had at least 5 sets of iForged wheels, never had a problem with them bending. It would take a substantial sized pothole to bend them, but I don't think any wheel would survive such a hole. If you can keep the stock wheel sizing, the extra tire sidewall height will also reduce risk.

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the look of many iForged, but have had 2 sets with quality issues and POOR customer service from Vince. Feel free to read about it at classicsupra.com
Thanks. I'll check that out. How long ago was this, since I've heard that much of any bad rep was "in the past".

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had at least 5 sets of iForged wheels, never had a problem with them bending. It would take a substantial sized pothole to bend them, but I don't think any wheel would survive such a hole. If you can keep the stock wheel sizing, the extra tire sidewall height will also reduce risk.
Thanks. Yes, I'm considering replacing the OE sizes with the exact same size iForged wheels. After 45,000 miles over some relatively wheel damaging roads, I've never bent an OE wheel. Based on that fact, I'm prepared to go to an aftermarket wheel...but just not if there's going to be an material increase in the likelihood of getting wheel damage. Of course, you can damage any wheel on any occasion completely by accident, but I just don't want to sacrifice much if any "use" for "looks".

7-LITRE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ditto!!

I just got t-boned by a guy who ran a red light. he hit my door, and sent me off like a pinball. i took out huge chunks of curbs with my wheels! for the amount of impact they sustained, i'd definitely swear by them!

You must be registered for see images attach

this last pic is not a front wheel, its the left rear...

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have driven my car in almost all the boroughs (Queens, Bklyn, NYC, Westchester) and the iFORGED can take a good pothole (I have a 25series FRONT tire too).

Watch the road, and for the times when you miss, the wheels can take a good pothole. (at least in my experience.)