I'm confused, what material are the side sills?

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As title sais, I'm a bit confused, I was thinking the sidesills on my 92 should be glasfibre or some sort of plastic, just like the body, but it turns out it looks like aluminum!

What is it? It's shiny underneath the paint...

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what about the paint, is it high temp or can I let them use normal paint? I'm mounting roe high flows and catback as wel, so the temps should settle so e bits lower.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normal base/clear. Use flex agent in the primer coat and clear...not base color (according to my paint supplier).

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I painted the inside with silver heat reflective paint. I lasted an extra 10-20K miles before the outside paint started cracking again. Now I've tried oven paint to see how well that works.

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I painted the inside with silver heat reflective paint. I lasted an extra 10-20K miles before the outside paint started cracking again. Now I've tried oven paint to see how well that works.

10k/ 20k extra, what total does this make?

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that makes a bazillion 10,000 on the Chuckmobile. :D

I understood that much, Chuck likes to drive a lot:lmao:

But I wanted to know how many years/ miles until I have to repaint the sills again, not planning on making it a yearly festivity...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I have the factory insullation but the passenger side still began to discolor at 30K. At 40K I removed the passenger side, painted the inside with silver heat reflective paint, repainted the outside and it lasted about 60K.

Now, with the new one from this guy in Texas (9999evad) I used oven paint on the inside. Waiting to see how long it lasts. I don't recall if I put the factory insulation back in this time.

Oddly enough the driver's side is just now starting to crack the paint and that's after 125,000 miles. Passenger side probably has a faulty cat. I'll swap them for high flows someday.

Get a spare set of sills and painting won't be any big deal.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am going to pick up a extra set of aluminum sills if I can find them at a smashing price just in case something happens to them, it would be great if I can find them in red or yellow

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't they a few thousand dollars each!?!

i am going to pick up a extra set of aluminum sills if I can find them at a smashing price just in case something happens to them, it would be great if I can find them in red or yellow

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chuck lives in a hot state, stock cats, drives hard and a lot of miles....chucks feet look like bacon im told

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte