I'm disappointed in the Gen 5 forum

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The tone of some critics here though is too harsh and discourteous towards other forum members. I've only seen pics but personally I like the Gen 5 car. I probably have a different perspective than most of you do. In early January I had a 5 lb. 8" x 6" Spindle Cell Neoplasm Mass removed from my left chest cavity. So I'm thrilled that I'm still here to see the Gen 5 debut. And to be able to drive and enjoy my Gen 3 Viper. It is one of the more pleasureable things in life. Believe me there are much more important things in life such as the way you treat and talk to other people. :)

i hope you are recovering completely and quickly

and good advice, i'm off to change my last post......

peace

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has, when the 96 R/T went to 415 from 400 - was this still considered Gen 1 for teh R/Ts?

In 06, the 8.3 went from 505 to 510, but that was because ALL HP figures changes for all manufactures, because of revised SAE rules, so there was not really a bump, just what it should have been rated at all along.

Someone please correct me if I missed something.

You are correct. The 1996 bump was due to an exhaust change and therefore better frow if I remember correctly.

And also correct on the 505-510. It was the way the ratings were adjusted. But I don't suspect that would have people running out to get them as the power never really changed.

(Random thing I just thought of: Remember the 300M performance edition? Added dual exhaust and got a 5 hp bump and it became a SE! :rolaugh: Oh Chrysler....... So glad it is run by enthusiasts again. Hopefully those days of 5 HP performance editions are gone! :))

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(Random thing I just thought of: Remember the 300M performance edition? Added dual exhaust and got a 5 hp bump and it became a SE! :rolaugh: Oh Chrysler....... So glad it is run by enthusiasts again. Hopefully those days of 5 HP performance editions are gone! :))

That was an AWESOME car. I had the privilege of test-driving that one when they had a Chrysler driving day here. I got to do ANYthing I wanted with that car....the acceleration, the braking, the suspension over the 'logs' ... unbeatable!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE-d that car. Wish it was still around. (Then I made Mike sick in a Jeep off-road course, lol...SO FUNNNNN!!! Is there anything better than driving????? :))
~juli

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was an AWESOME car. I had the privilege of test-driving that one when they had a Chrysler driving day here. I got to do ANYthing I wanted with that car....the acceleration, the braking, the suspension over the 'logs' ... unbeatable!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE-d that car. Wish it was still around. (Then I made Mike sick in a Jeep off-road course, lol...SO FUNNNNN!!! Is there anything better than driving????? :))
~juli

:rolaugh:

I did hear they were good cars! Just seemed funny they promoted the 5 hp bump! :rolaugh:

And too funny on the Jeep! :D

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(I couldn't think of the name of the Jeep until now: Rubicon...poor Mike was pretty sorry he came along in the backseat, as one had to have a 'chaperone' from Chrysler up front :rolleyes:) :drive:
They were AWEsome cars, and I prefer the look of the OLD 300M than the new (sorry Ralph!). ESpecially the ***Performance Edition*** (wasn't just the hp teeeeeny-tiny bump, it was mostly the better suspension).
~juli

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(I couldn't think of the name of the Jeep until now: Rubicon...poor Mike was pretty sorry he came along in the backseat, as one had to have a 'chaperone' from Chrysler up front :rolleyes:) :drive:
They were AWEsome cars, and I prefer the look of the OLD 300M than the new (sorry Ralph!). ESpecially the ***Performance Edition*** (wasn't just the hp teeeeeny-tiny bump, it was mostly the better suspension).
~juli

Oh yes. I forgot about the sway bar. :p

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Has the Viper ever had a horsepower bump within the same generation?
I would think that would be death to resale values of the "slower" year.

Jon, didn't the Gen 2 GTS go from 450 to 460. Bumped up for the 98 GT 2, then all the cars got it later?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
HP increase of 10 was due to smooth tubes and K&N filters on the ACRs ( and the 98 GTS-R) -- so everyone just went out and added it to their Vipers and all was good in the World.

The funny thing is clear back in 96 the press , the pundits all said the Viper would never really work on the track. The HP battle continues today, but the war will be won with torque ( we as Viper faithful should remember what the car has always been about, and torque is our mantra ). All praise to the engineers to find more torque with an even broader band for Stryker!

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agree:D. And it's going to be awesome!

HP increase of 10 was due to smooth tubes and K&N filters on the ACRs ( and the 98 GTS-R) -- so everyone just went out and added it to their Vipers and all was good in the World.

The funny thing is clear back in 96 the press , the pundits all said the Viper would never really work on the track. The HP battle continues today, but the war will be won with torque ( we as Viper faithful should remember what the car has always been about, and torque is our mantra ). All praise to the engineers to find more torque with an even broader band for Stryker!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing about Viiper owners...we are passionate. We either are your best friend, or your worst enemy. We love Aerosmith and The Eagles, and we hate Eminem and the Foo Fighters. We love big, fast, menacing, in your face cars with outrageous horsepower that will kill most people, and we hate nanny-gates and computer controls to help those too helpless to really have the right to own and drive a Viper.

We hate having too many Vipers sold per year, most hate Obama even more, and we hate anything that deviates from the Vipers core values...which mimmick our values...bold, in-your-face American power...that does not apologize for what we are, what we have done, and what we will continue to do...cuz what we do has made us the baddest ass country ever to exist...and we have no interest in backing down or appeasing anyone. If you dont like who we are and what we do....then you need to get out of our way cuz we are not changing for the likes of you....and our Vipers are an extension of that dogma.

That is Viper.

That is the core Viper constitution and anyone who doesnt understand that really doesnt understand Viper. So, yes, core Viper owners are gonna rebel against pracatically any kind of change, and will do so seemingly without reason. Core Viper owners may not understand that building a 740 hp naturally aspirated sports car weighing 3100 lbs without nanny-gates and keeping sales under 2000 units per year and that sells for under $200k is not a workable business model...not to mention how many people would be killed in a car like that.

Viper owners are passionate on all levels and rather opinionated...thats one thing that is unique about us and the passion in which we express our opinions is also Viper. No matter what we think or believe...we think and beilieve it passionately and will express and/or defend our postions passionately...we are fighters and we dont backdown from anyone...even other Viper owners...and that attitude in and of itself...

Is Viper.

No one should be disappointed by anyone elses views or positions...the fact that we are independent and free enough to express them and still be brothers at the end of the day we unite in cruises, at VOI, and on the race track where we kick everyone elses ass...and that is what its all about....that brotherhood...and that

Is Viper.

Last edited:

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The HP battle continues today, but the war will be won with torque ( we as Viper faithful should remember what the car has always been about, and torque is our mantra ). All praise to the engineers to find more torque with an even broader band for Stryker!
Amen!:2tu:

cashcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like the 2013 Shelby GT500 will have 662hp & 632ft/lb. I hope that when the convert comes out they will somehow get to 700hp/700ft/lb.. Then I will write the check. lol.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing I hate is when someone hates on the Foo Fighters....Come on BM!

Oh and that 2013 GT500...nice numbers but it simply won't translate. Stop worrying about it...

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I wonder how many of the so called "fans" will write a check to buy a new viper, not a used one?

I think if you haven't bought a new viper lately you should and then let us know....

One of the best post's in this thread.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing about Viiper owners...we are passionate. We either are your best friend, or your worst enemy. We love Aerosmith and The Eagles, and we hate Eminem and the Foo Fighters. We love big, fast, menacing, in your face cars with outrageous horsepower that will kill most people, and we hate nanny-gates and computer controls to help those too helpless to really have the right to own and drive a Viper.

We hate having too many Vipers sold per year, most hate Obama even more, and we hate anything that deviates from the Vipers core values...which mimmick our values...bold, in-your-face American power...that does not apologize for what we are, what we have done, and what we will continue to do...cuz what we do has made us the baddest ass country ever to exist...and we have no interest in backing down or appeasing anyone. If you dont like who we are and what we do....then you need to get out of our way cuz we are not changing for the likes of you....and our Vipers are an extension of that dogma.

That is Viper.

That is the core Viper constitution and anyone who doesnt understand that really doesnt understand Viper. So, yes, core Viper owners are gonna rebel against pracatically any kind of change, and will do so seemingly without reason. Core Viper owners may not understand that building a 740 hp naturally aspirated sports car weighing 3100 lbs without nanny-gates and keeping sales under 2000 units per year and that sells for under $200k is not a workable business model...not to mention how many people would be killed in a car like that.

Viper owners are passionate on all levels and rather opinionated...thats one thing that is unique about us and the passion in which we express our opinions is also Viper. No matter what we think or believe...we think and beilieve it passionately and will express and/or defend our postions passionately...we are fighters and we dont backdown from anyone...even other Viper owners...and that attitude in and of itself...

Is Viper.

No one should be disappointed by anyone elses views or positions...the fact that we are independent and free enough to express them and still be brothers at the end of the day we unite in cruises, at VOI, and on the race track where we kick everyone elses ass...and that is what its all about....that brotherhood...and that

Is Viper.

Precisely! You deserve a medal for this. The problem is over the years non-Viper people have bought Vipers, many of which are members here. They love the Viper, but they don't get it. And for that I say they are not Viper people. You can have all the Viper posters, collectables, and magazines in the world, that doesn't make you a Viper guy. Having a Viper doesn't make you more of a Viper guy than someone who doesn't. What makes you a true Viper person is exactly what you wrote.

Very well said!