Intake differences, some ‘94s are freaks…help!

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m working on my cooling system and was going to replace the intake manifold with what I understood to be a more reliable version. My intake has 4 thin silver ridges running down each intake track, the “better” model has 3 large ones. An experienced mechanic and friend suggested the change because my version is prone to failure (the one on my car was replaced not long ago due to a fuel leak. I still have the manifold on my car and the one I am going to replace it with in my garage, but they are dramatically different. I’m posting this for your information and for your input. An overview picture of each manifold is below:

7107Manifold_current.jpg

7107Manifold_new.jpg

First, in my microfiche shows several versions of the intake manifold:

#5245 651 1992-93, Up To, Serial #104
#5245 637 1993, From, Serial #105 To, Serial #1421
#4763 401 1993-96, After, Serial #1422

The last eight of my VIN are RV101279, so it seems mine should be the bottom one because it is a ’94.

Differences between the manifold on my car and the manifold I was going to install are:

AIS Sensor Location: The manifold on my car has the AIS sensor at the back of the right intake track, the manifold I have that I was going to install has the AIS just behind the right throttle body. This isn’t a big deal to relocate and requires minimum work, just a different pipe that I have and extended sensor wires. Pictures below.

7107AIS_current.jpg

7107AIS_new.jpg

The microfiche lists the following versions of the AIS sensor system hose:

HOSE, AIS Supply
#5245 454 Up To 2-10-94
#4763 539 After 2-10-94

Fuel crossover between the throttle bodies: The one on the car has a removable metal line, the one I was going to install has this crossover integrated into the casting. Again, not a problem, just noting the difference. However, this makes me think my intake is a ’93 because this cross over line is only listed as a part for 92-93 Vipers (since the line is integrated in the casting for later years).

7107Crossover_current.jpg

7107Crossover_new.jpg

Microfiche says:

#5245 412 TUBE, Fuel Crossover, 1992-93
no listing for such a part after ‘93

Fuel line at the bottom and back of the right side intake track: The one on the car is just below the AIS sensor and uses a plate and gasket with two screws, one on each side of the line. The one I was going to install is in exactly the same place but has the line simply screw into the manifold (pictures below). The line that is on the car runs down from the manifold, under the thermostat cooling crossover, and connects to a fuel line with the standard quick disconnect above the transmission (picture below)

7107Fuel_Line_current.jpg

7107Fuel_Line_conneciton_current.jpg

7107Fuel_Line_new.jpg

This line is apparently called the rail assembly fuel supply, microfiche says:

RAIL ASSEMBLY, Fuel Supply
#5245 649 1992-93
#5245 792 1994-96

Fuel pressure relief: The one on my car has this at the rear of the left intake track. The one I was going to install has this at the top of the right track.

So, it appears that I have a ’93 intake on my ’94 and the on I have to install is a 94-96 intake. It also appears that I will have a better chance of replacing the manifold should it break if I go ahead and convert the car to the newer intake version. I think now all I need to do is order the new fuel supply line and I’ll be set since I already have what I need to move the AIS system and the fuel crossover takes care of itself.

Your thoughts/advice/comments? Just trying to gather your collective knowledge and what I’m learning about these unnecessarily complex vehicles…man I love VIPERS!!!

Thanks,

Ben

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early 94s had the 4 rib intake. They also had RT10 on the front calipers. Then at some point in 94 the intake went to 3 and the calipers to Viper. I could be wrong about this but I think cars that came with the 3 rib intake also does not have the common head gasket issue. You have the same kind of minor differences on a 93, antenna, battery location. I think due to the small production numbers they have to burn up some inventory of parts year to year before moving to newer parts.

OP
OP
S

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
94: thanks for the input. my engine was rebuilt in '02, so the head gasket thing doesn't really apply. I do have RT/10 on my calipers...

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3 rib intake in your pics is a gen 2 intake.I don't think it will work on your gen 1.To many differences
How can you tell it is a Gen2 intake from the pictures? My intake has the 3 rib design and I have a Gen1.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My recollection is not clear but early Gen I's (like 92 and early 93) had a magnesium intake with 3 ribs. An aluminum manifold replaced that and continued through the completion of Gen I. Gen II then came out with a similar manifold with 3 ribs. I do not think they were easily fitted between Gen I and II, but that may be possible.

Your first picture is a normal Gen I for 1994. The second looks like a Gen II to me.

You can also get the real story on calipers and such in the Viper book and possibly in some of the reference pages at the top of the web site. The calipers started with "Viper." It changed to RT/10 in 1994 when the Viper was to be marketed in Europe. It changed back to "Viper" late in the 1995 MY.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The head gasket issue has nothing to do with this. That issue is due to the ols paper type gaskets that were on all Gen1's and replaced with the new metal type ones I think in 96.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig,
Your statement is correct, but might be a little confusing.

The head gasket issue has nothing to do with this. That issue is due to the ols paper type gaskets that were on all Gen1's and replaced with the new metal type ones I think in 96.

ALL Gen 1's is correct including the 96 Gen1 (RT/10)
The 96 Gen2 had the metal ones; and all subsequent Vipers.

1996 GEN1 (RT/10) PRODUCTION VIN #'s
First VIN: TV100001
Last VIN: TV10780
Total Production: 721

My vin # is TV10773 near the end of the production run, and it had the paper head gaskets and had to be changed.

Later,

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a 1995 Rt/10 that I watched get built (and then made into a family member :) ), and the manifold was never touched. This is what they had then. As I indicated earlier there was a 4 fin version. I was not sure how many years they had the 4 fin version, but remembered that is was magnesium instead of aluminum.

498Engine_-_Full-med.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang