Intake/ throttle body porting?

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering if there is much to be gained by porting the throttle bodies or intake or both? If so who would you have do the work? I feel the engine should make a bit more power.(2001 GTS Arrow built engine 10 to 1 comp.,stryker heads with Jessels, Belingers, high flow cats, 3" Corsa and usual bolt -ons. DC mailorder tune. 520rwhp/545rwtq) Thanks,:2tu:SammyV

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have the same set up on my gen1 with a comp cam i ported and polished heads and intake and throtle bodies .. BUT remember your creating more air flow by doing this...thus your gonna need more fuel!!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Back in the Gen 1 era, we honed several of them here with results from 15-40 HP ! You cn hone the Gen 1-2 TBs, and port-match the manifolds with verifiable results. The I/M can be extrude-honed if you want that +40 result.

Same approx resuts for 96-97 GTS with the good cam.....it can abide by more flow as-is.

Once you hit the cream-puff years, the diminished returns made it a prelude to headwork.

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering if there is much to be gained by porting the throttle bodies or intake or both? If so who would you have do the work? I feel the engine should make a bit more power.(2001 GTS Arrow built engine 10 to 1 comp.,stryker heads with Jessels, Belingers, high flow cats, 3" Corsa and usual bolt -ons. DC mailorder tune. 520rwhp/545rwtq) Thanks,:2tu:SammyV

You are only going to gain what you put in. In other words if you have a stock cam you are not going to make much more than what you already have. Talk to Greg Good he can tell you if is worth doing your intake based on what you have done to your motor.

OP
OP
S

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I failed to mention I am running a 708 cam. Thanks for the replys! SammyV

OP
OP
S

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it would be fine with my current tune,it runs a bit rich anyway! SammyV

vigilantty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 94 viper and while I had the engine apart for head gaskets , my engine builder noticed that the throttle bodies were not lined up with the holes in the intake. Obviously this restricted air flow, but was not easily detected as the throttle blades actuate inside the throttle bodies. I had the motor rebuilt and dynoed . Port matching the intake and centering the throttle bodies resulted in 20HP over stock. This was on an engine dyno so 20 HP at the crank.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it would be fine with my current tune,it runs a bit rich anyway! SammyV

how rich? what is your current A/F's ?
surely you dynoed the viper after the tune to check if the tune was optimized. post it up.

Larger TB's are also an option:
70 mm Throttle Body Set - 96-02 GTS & 97-02 RT/10 - Air Intake - Roe Racing

http://forums.viperclub.org/performance-modifications/616720-70mm-throttle-bodies-bad.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/532922-whats-stock-throttle-body-size-gen-ii.html

after doing larger TB's, definitely dyno with a good wideband and have DC re-tune accordingly:2tu:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it safe to port the throttle bodies and intake manifold without a tune?

Nick

depends on the other mods and how the motor is running.
after any mod like this it is wize to spend the 80bucks and do a few pulls on the dyno to make sure.

If it was me, i would strap down on the dyno with stock TB's do a couple pulls, then swap to the larger TB's and do a couple more pulls. then email the results to one of our tuners to get advice on weather a new tune is required or not.

be sure to read through the threads i posted above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery