Is this a broken sway bar

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's been put back to gether with a band-aid?

Seriously....

It appears that it broke and someone tried to jam a metal tube in it to hold it together.

:dunno:

Thoughts?

Attachments

• swaybar.jpg
    swaybar.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 283

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's crazy!! Does it roll like a wagon in corners? :)

I can't believe anyone would try and patch that... wow. I'm glad you found it.

Ricksnake1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That`s the oldest car hustlers trick in the book. That and filling the rear end and trans with saw dust. Makes the gears runs smooth for a while.
(I picked this up watching the Andy Griffith Show when Barney bought the old Ford):usa:

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I doubt the previous owner did this but someone did it for him without his knowledge.

Can it be welded back together or do I just need to replace?

I have about 9 days and counting down.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did you discover that ? The only way that I can conceive of it being cobbled together like that is that someone didn't want to spend the money for a used replacement, and had the time to take that off and do it themselves for a resale, with no labor cost. No way that the previous owner or his mechanic did that, and I would have thought that it would have been noticeable at his level of driving ? On the other hand, I can't picture how it would have been manufactured with an inner tube like that.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a very believable scenario: Broken sway bar was removed and a tube was added to hold the part in place and support it while it was being welded. It's the end of the day, and it doesn't get welded that day; but it is being held tightly together by that tube. For whatever reason, in the next day or three someone other than the welder thinks that the bar was repaired, picks it up and installs it; but, the welder never had finished the job. Maybe the car was never raced at speed after that by someone who was knowlegeable about what the car felt like when it was working "right," so no one detected it until now.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How did you discover that ? The only way that I can conceive of it being cobbled together like that is that someone didn't want to spend the money for a used replacement, and had the time to take that off and do it themselves for a resale, with no labor cost. No way that the previous owner or his mechanic did that, and I would have thought that it would have been noticeable at his level of driving ? On the other hand, I can't picture how it would have been manufactured with an inner tube like that.

I discovered it last night doing my track prep. How I missed it twice before I don't know. It would help to explain some dancing the car does at moments. I'm going to pull it today and see if I can get it welded and in the long run order a replacement.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to upgrade the stabilizer bar brackets and bushings. I'm not saying that you need to, but as long as you're taking them off...I just installed these yesterday...

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd just replace it. Heck throw some T1 bars on there when you are at it :)

** Edit ** just saw Ken's message.

Ken those are really slick, where did you get them? I like that they have the built-in grease fitting.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's got something similar now. I need to fix or replace asap for an upcoming track day. Welding may be the option I can do today as NAPA won't have these in stock ;)

What I don't know is if the bar is stock or aftermarket. It's 1 1/8" diameter. I'm trying to find out what the stock size is but haven't fount it yet.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I don't know is if the bar is stock or aftermarket. It's 1 1/8" diameter. I'm trying to find out what the stock size is but haven't fount it yet.

I just measured my '02 rear bar. It is 7/8". The part # for 01 and 02 is the same. I'd say that yours is an aftermarket upgrade and probably is the reason why someone perhaps started repairing it rather than doing a quick replacement and it didn't get finished for whatever reason..

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just measured my '02 rear bar. It is 7/8". The part # for 01 and 02 is the same. I'd say that yours is an aftermarket upgrade and probably is the reason why someone perhaps started repairing it rather than doing a quick replacement and it didn't get finished for whatever reason..

I had a feeling it wasn't stock.

thanks for the info.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, it's out. Only a 1" bar.

Off to the weld shop

I will check what type of metal it is B4 welding it, cold roll steel, tempered steel, spring steel, etc
Some can be welded and some can't ( will loose it's spring properties)

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carl, I would try and find a used one. If you weld that when it goes to twist and may just twist that weld apart. That would not be fun in the middle of a high speed sweeper.

You should never weld something like that. Any place that does sure is looking to get sued.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't weld it! Seriously, that's like running the Silver State with a retread.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not advice, only some limited experience.

I built a replica Cobra and was trying various sway bars. I would visit the junkyard and buy something close to fitting, then cut and weld to better fit. As long as the welding stick is stronger than the spring material, the weld will stay stiff while the bar does the twisting. In my case, I only cut/welded the arms, never the center section. In fact, I often added a piece of flat stock that allowed me to drill several holes for the end link to attach to. Again, not advice, but if the arm is stiff (by using the proper welding rod and/or adding braces) then it won't bend, but the center section remains the torsional spring you desire. How well the weld area is prepared (chamfered ends, etc) makes a difference.

Alll in all, unpleasant surprise!

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well, it's welded and in the car. The welder penetrated the dowel and added two stiffners top and bottom and did a stitch weld on both sides.

If I can get one in the mean quick I may change it other wise...going to the track.

seriously, what's wrong with a welded repair
signed
Ayrton Senna

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
race tires and test drive, didn't brake.

Will do a few trips to work with street tires, then hit the track in a week....

wish me luck

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't clear but it's a rear bar and it's 1" diameter on a GTS. Stock is 7/8" so it's an upgraded bar.

I'm looking for rear replacement that's 1" dia.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they rare or something? I haven't replaced one but I can't imagine they;d be that expensive. Good luck finding it and stay ON the track....not like this:

[media]http://vimeo.com/23181852[/media]

(not a swaybar issue but an interesting vid from CMP this past weekend. The fellow put the Subie 10 feet up in a tree after missing entry to T3......)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang