ITS ALL GONE

DoctorRat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like many out there I have been quite silent and just read all the posts bascially to learn as much as possible from all of you. I thank you for all the information.

Two weeks ago my home burned down and we lost everything. My wife, my three sons and I got out with just the few clothes on our backs. The fire started at midnight on Sunday, May 4. In the garage was a red 1994 RT/10, it is now a mass of molten steel, nothing left but the engine block and frame; that car burned incredibly FAST. I bought it for my wife (I am more of a two wheel kind a guy, 1976 XLH). We absolutely loved the Viper, what an incredible car, made for the summers in New Jersey. We only had it a few months, bought it from someone who worked for me. I was in the process of doing the mods I saw posted on this forum, smooth tubes, bought the side louvers from Scott, a lot of brushed aluminum for the door handles, etc., clear side marker lights, all the stuff from MGW, a shifter piece from Rich Detert, etc. Talked to Chuck Tator about some replacement pieces also. To cut to the chase, I want to lend some advice:

1. Check the level of your homeowners insurance, it can make all the difference in the world, DON'T SKIMP.

2. Once we are out of this hotel and find a house to lease for a year (it's going to take about 10 months to rebuild) I am going to reach out to you guys for help in finding another Viper. There is simply no other car like it in the world. We got such a kick out of cruising around that only another Viper owner can appreciate.

Mark

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm so happy that you and your family are alive and you are writing this post. Guess what your next Viper will be even better!!

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss......that must be extremely painful to lose everything. The most important thing is that your family is safe. I will be checking my homeowners policy to make sure it is up to date. Again, sorry for the painful lost. Best Regards Bindy

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow; sorry to hear it...glad everyone is okay though. Everything else can be replaced. Best wishes.

Ratech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Review all the fine print on your contract with your personal attorney. The Adjuster will not be forthcoming with the information since his pay is based on the final amount of your claim. I went through this about 10 years ago and got everything I had coming from my contract. Which amounted to $160,000 more than they wanted to pay.
Don't be intimidated by them.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a terrible first post to have to make, sorry to hear about your loss.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That scks the big one. Hey, look at this way..Your family is alive..Thats the best news. The Viper, well..You will always find someone selling a mint one...good luck..

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
condolences and the best news you posted was you and your loved ones are OK. as for the car; im sure youll find plenty of help here when you need it in finding your "next" viper.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a hard blow. As long as everyone survived without a scratch (thank God!), your only option now is to rebuild it BIGGER and BETTER. The year with the rental will fly by. And heck, you'll probably be back in a Viper before I can get my first one.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no words for something so awful as that. Sorry for your loss.
It is fortunate that you and yours are safe. Material things can be replaced; and you'll replace them. May everything be back to normal soon, and you with a new Viper just as good, if not better!

You must be registered for see images

sanco-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just wanted to add my condolences with the rest of the guys. But like they say it's during times like this that we learn what's really important. Viper - replaceable, Loved ones - irreplaceable!! Good luck with your rebuilding and God Bless!

PS: DON'T FORGET THE NEW 6 CAR GARAGE WHEN YOU REBUILD ;)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the guys, Bonkers, keeps track of destroyed Vipers. I'm sure he would very much like to have your VIN to add to his database. Please post it for him.
Thanks for the heads up on the insurance. I hope you get back up and running asap. Good luck.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss, but am also glad your family and you are alright. At least you can feel good about that.

Sometimes better things arise from the ashes of catastrophe. Wish you the best.

OP
OP
D

DoctorRat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the few months I have been reading the posts on this forum I knew you guys would all be very supportive. You are all right, stuff is just stuff, my family is irreplaceable, this I knew from the start.

The fire was either electrical or started from greasy rags that I know all of you have in your garages; as there is nothing left of the garage, they can't be sure of the exact cause. I hate to preach but get those rags out of the garage ... they are a fire waiting to happen.

I'm trying to get photos of the remains of the Viper to post, I'll send the VIN to Bonkers.

Thanks again for all your kind words.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe...hahahahaahahaha..

???***??? I don't know who that shot was aimed at but I can assure I take my work for the VCA very seriously.

Doc, I am sorry for you loss but you have my word when you're ready to snakehunt again someone, if not myself, will be around to help you out. Best bet is to give Woodhouse or ViperWiz a call and see if they have anything that fits your need. Until then pull up a barstool and join in, just be careful of that BnB guy... he's.... .... a little off...

Reaction score
???***??? I don't know who that shot was aimed at but I can assure I take my work for the VCA very seriously.

Doc, I am sorry for you loss but you have my word when you're ready to snakehunt again someone, if not myself, will be around to help you out. Best bet is to give Woodhouse or ViperWiz a call and see if they have anything that fits your need. Until then pull up a barstool and join in, just be careful of that BnB guy... he's.... .... a little off...

Sorry to hear about the fire Doc!! :(

Bonks...I think Yo-Tony is just so used to you being given a hard time (all in good fun) he missed the overall intent of Joe's statement...I think. Your vigilance in the area of damaged Vipers will become legendary...that is my honest opinion!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonk, I think he thought I was making some kind of "fire" connection between the DrRat car and your project car.
He probably doesn't know you really do collect all the data.

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about your loss, I am glad to see that everyone is a ok. I lost my viper to a friend who decided to take it for a joyride without me knowing and he totaled it nearly almost killing his son who was in the car with him. Well needless to say it was a 97 with 17k miles on it. I paid 51k for the car and loved everybit of it. When the dust settled and the insurance company stepped in the ring with my attorney I walked away with a check for 58k and I went and bought 1996 GTS blue and white car 201 off the line. It only had 1900 miles and I love it. As I have now bought my third viper this week they just keep getting better. It is cool to walk outside and see two vipers sitting next to each other and wondering which one should I drive today! Best of luck on your rebuild and hire a good attorney. It all pays off in the end!

Bill

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did your house catch on fire? Just take this as a lesson learned not to go cheap on the insurance. Don't go cheap on medical either, that is a disaster waiting to happen. Good to hear your family got out.

S

SUN RA KAT

That is such a sad story. At least it has a happy ending in that you and your family escaped OK.

OP
OP
D

DoctorRat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Kenny, appreciate it. Thanks for the advice Bill. Let me ask you all: the insurance company wants to settle for $39,645.70 (were did the 70 cents come from???). This was a 1994 RT/10 with approximately 45K miles, new Pilots, smooth tubes, all the MGW stuff, chin guard, clear side marker lights, etc. I don't know if this stuff adds to the value of the car but anyway, is this a fair settlement or what?

I'm trying to get pictures to post of what is now a not so pretty, burnt snake.

Mark

S

SUN RA KAT

Get prices of similar Vipers and see what it would cost you to replace your poor Viper with as close to possible to what you once had replacement. Don't forget to add in any taxes would have to pay to get the title & registration and plates for the new car, too.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Kenny, appreciate it. Thanks for the advice Bill. Let me ask you all: the insurance company wants to settle for $39,645.70 (were did the 70 cents come from???). This was a 1994 RT/10 with approximately 45K miles, new Pilots, smooth tubes, all the MGW stuff, chin guard, clear side marker lights, etc. I don't know if this stuff adds to the value of the car but anyway, is this a fair settlement or what?

I'm trying to get pictures to post of what is now a not so pretty, burnt snake.

Mark

With 45K miles that is a fair price. Plus you probably have some parts off the car you can still sell (maybe?). I am dying to know what started the fire?

OP
OP
D

DoctorRat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks.

Either an electrical fire or a bunch of greasy rags, spontaneous combustion. Happens all the time, this time it happened to us. The entire snake is a **** heap, nothing left to salvage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960